Europe's angry young Muslims

[size=18]Europe's angry young Muslims [/size]

[b]Europe is home to a new generation of alienated young Muslims whose anger may turn to radicalism, the BBC's Islamic affairs analyst Roger Hardy finds in new three-part series.

Part one looks at the root causes of last year's London bombings and Paris riots. [/b]

[img]

Shamsul Gani sits in his home, in the northern English city of Leeds, a proud father cradling his six-month-old son.

I ask him about the three young men from Leeds who carried out the London bombings last year.

"You'd have left your house keys with them and gone away for a year," he told me.

For many people, what motivated the bombers is still a mystery.

But Shamsul grew up with the three - all British Muslims from Pakistani families. (The fourth was a Caribbean convert to Islam.)

Shamsul admires the courage of Mohammad Sidique Khan, the leader of the group, even though he condemns what he did.

[i]France has betrayed the young people of the suburbs. When you're called Ali you can't get a job

Ali, 24, from France[/i]

Khan left a videotape explaining his action as a response to Western policy in Iraq and other parts of the Muslim world.

"I have no reason to doubt the credibility of that tape," Shamsul told me.

"What you have to understand is his belief in what he was doing. He was prepared to put his life on the line for that."

[b]Voices of alienation[/b]

My visit to Leeds marked the beginning of an odyssey in search of the roots of Muslim anger.

Western Europe is now home to some 15 million Muslims, most of them under 30.

[img]

Is a new angry, alienated generation of European Muslims now being drawn to radicalism?

That's certainly a widespread fear.

The London bombings were followed a few months later by the Paris riots. And then, more recently, the controversy over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed. All these have reinforced that fear.

In the suburbs on the northern rim of the French capital, I found young Muslims, from Arab and African families, who feel excluded by the French state.

When during the riots President Chirac belatedly intervened, telling the people of the suburbs they were all sons and daughters of the French republic, many of them saw it as a bad joke.

France, unlike Britain, tries to keep religion out of public life. Everyone is supposed to be equal, regardless of cultural background.

Try telling that to Ali, who is 24 and unemployed.

"France has betrayed the young people of the suburbs. When you're called Ali you can't get a job. The French don't accept Islam. Politicians promise us mosques and so on, but at the same time they smear us and call us terrorists."

[b]A double culture[/b]

I visited Clichy sous Bois, where the riots began after the accidental death of two teenagers during a police chase.

At a youth club, an audition was under way for budding stand-up comedians.

[img]

Fifou, a lively young French-Algerian student, did a sketch poking fun at the "double culture" in which she and her friends live.

At home they must be good Muslim kids; but outside they want the good life, just like their non-Muslim friends.

For a moment, I forgot about those thousands of cars, and hundreds of buildings, destroyed in three weeks of rioting last year.

But not for long.

Sitting in the youth club was Samir, a young activist who has set up a group to keep alive the memory of the two dead teenagers.

I asked him what his aim was. His answer: "To give voice to the pain."

There have been riots before, and nothing changed. This time he wants the message to get through.

[b][i]Roger Hardy's three-part series "Europe's Angry Young Muslims" begins on the BBC World Service on 8 March.[/i][/b]

[url= News[/url]

Salam

Some people just need any excuse to cause a riot.

And Al Qaeda is targeting these idiots and turning them radical.

Sensible muslims do not get angry at trivial matters.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam
Sensible muslims do not get angry at trivial matters.

Omrow

I’ll send you to Paris via the Eurostar with an Algerian identity cards- then you can share your experience with us all.

I'm getting kind of sick of hearing about the problems of integrating Europe's muslims.

There have been muslim minorities in Poland, Lithuania and Russia for a very long time and there's no "problem of integration" there.

The problem in France, Germany etc is that they've invited thousands of people from developing countries in order to supply cheap labour and now they have no use for them and don't want them anymore.

Why does this suddenly become a "muslim problem".

"salaf" wrote:
I'm getting kind of sick of hearing about the problems of integrating Europe's muslims.

There have been muslim minorities in Poland, Lithuania and Russia for a very long time and there's no "problem of integration" there.

Russia?

What Russian propaganda books have you been reading? Ask a Chechen or a Muslim from the heart of the caucasus is they are integrated into the Russian genocidal way of life?

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

Russia?

What Russian propaganda books have you been reading? Ask a Chechen or a Muslim from the heart of the caucasus is they are integrated into the Russian genocidal way of life?

The Russians aren't trying to wipe the chechens because they're muslims.

They killed far more Ukranians in the 30s and they're the same religion. It's about power.

The point is that muslims in Russia aren't considered "unintegrated" yet Russia is part of Europe.

Jews are much more disliked in Russia.

"salaf" wrote:

No of course, the Godless Russian’s are longer fighting Chechen rebels they are fighting the terrorist (a buzz word)- if you believe that then you’ll believe anything.

Your wrong, Chechnya is in ruined half of it’s population are either displaced or dead- what’s happening in Chechnya is genocide

How many Muslim are living in Poland and Lithuania?

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

No of course, the Godless Russian’s are longer fighting Chechen rebels they are fighting the terrorist (a buzz word)- if you believe that then you’ll believe anything.

Your wrong, Chechnya is in ruined half of it’s population are either displaced or dead- what’s happening in Chechnya is genocide

What am I wrong about?

Quote:

Hard to say. In Poland about 3000 and in Lithuania about 8000. [/quote]

"salaf" wrote:

What am I wrong about?

Look at this website and it should answer your question

and search this on goggle: Chechen genocide

The Russian way of life doesn’t suit the Muslim of Chechnya and for that they are being massacred, if religion isn’t a factor then what is, besides the oil!

"salaf" wrote:

but isn't that because they've been 'integrated' beyond recognition over time? :? the implementers of communism have tried to stamp out all trace of religion. i remember whilst studying Stalin in GCSE History, it was mentioned that Muslims were disallowed from travelling to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj. it seems to me that the Muslims in such areas were repressed, as opposed to 'integrated' by choice.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:

but isn't that because they've been 'integrated' beyond recognition over time? :? the implementers of communism have tried to stamp out all trace of religion. i remember whilst studying Stalin in GCSE History, it was mentioned that Muslims were disallowed from travelling to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj. it seems to me that the Muslims in such areas were repressed, as opposed to 'integrated' by choice.

Good point sister Dust....... But we didn’t learn about Stalin during my GCSE history (I'm sure you mean A-level) Smile

I made this point in another thread:

The thing about many Muslim minorities that dot the 'Russian' landscape is that we had to endure centuries -- not years -- of continuous Russian domination and subjugation.

Thousands upon thousands were deported by Stalin, to Siberia, under his "divide and rule" plan.

Thousands of Muslims [I'm talking close to a million] were forced to convert, against their will.

Many of their beautiful Masjids were burnt to the ground, Qur'ans burnt and our Mullahs [and Mo'alims] were killed.

My friends grandparents had to learn, then teach Islam underground, as did I'm sure, thousands of their forefathers.

Despite this, Muslims throughout Central Asia and the former Soviet Union still held on to the rope of Allah swt, and still identify themselves as Muslims though they may not have been, nor are, practicing their Islam as they should be.

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
Good point sister Dust....... But we didn’t learn about Stalin during my GCSE history (I'm sure you mean A-level) Smile

nope, i did it in GCSE History. different schools have different boards and modules for their History courses, ours was all international relations, i loved it. some of my poor friends in other schools had to suffer through the 'history of medicine' or summat.
i would've done History at A-level as well, but my college had modules about the Protestant/Catholic divide, Henry VIII, etc. :roll: i did all that in year 8, and was looking for another international relations type of history course. Sad

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:

i would've done History at A-level as well, but my college had modules about the Protestant/Catholic divide, Henry VIII, etc. :roll: i did all that in year 8, and was looking for another international relations type of history course. Sad

We did that in Year seven, let me test you, how many wifes did Heny the 8th have?

I didn’t chose history for my options because I had to decide between History and Geography, how cruel is that Cray 2

We did that in Year seven as well, let me test you, how many wives did Henry the 8th have?

Lol

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
We did that in Year seven, let me test you, how many wifes did Heny the 8th have?

ah, it may have been yr 7, cant remember now. but thats an easy question - he had six wives!

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
I didn’t chose history for my options because I had to decide between History and Geography, how cruel is that Cray 2

you chose geography over history?!! :shock: [size=7]unforgivable...[/size] Blum 3

salaam
all lol how sad i remember how they eneded up oops
1) divorced
2) beheaded
3) natural death (i think)
4) divorced
5) beheaded
6) survived

i did geography at GCSE failed it miserably i actually found it hard dunno y i think it was down to not paying attention

salaam
brother am sure u didnt but its SAAdia Khan JazakAllah

You’re all right, I’m impressed with Saadia Khan- I’m marking her paper now. Wink

salaam

paper wat paper ? lol am already snowed under with uni work lol found out this afternoon i had a deadline for 2mrw. TYPICAL ?

"Saadia Khan" wrote:
salaam

paper wat paper :?: lol am already snowed under with uni work lol found out this afternoon i had a deadline for 2mrw. TYPICAL :?

Blum 3

What are you studying?

My guess is History

lol guess wrong sorry am studying Biomedical sciences lol
and u are?

"Saadia Khan" wrote:
lol guess wrong sorry am studying Biomedical sciences Lol
and u are?

I’m a dropout, I study medicine for one month before I dropped out Cray 2

Biomedical is a great subject

whoa not many ppl who can say that then!!

are u not going back, and where did u study? do u still want to do medicine.

Bio med is OK shall we say lol like every subject it has its pros and cons, i hate having to hand in a lab report each week its annoyin evil

"Saadia Khan" wrote:
whoa not many ppl who can say that then!!

are u not going back, and where did u study? do u still want to do medicine.

Did you know that Bangladesh has the second-highest female graduates in science (in the whole world)?

I really don’t know what I want to stud, I'vey been searching deep within myself, however I’m still non the wiser.

Just remain steadfast and Insha’Allah you’ll get your just rewards

wow i didnt know that, u learn sumthing new everyday.

u cant find ne thing ud like to study, ok i really wanted to study optometry and if i can still do it later on then inshallah i will try and do so.
do u know if u want to stay in the medical field

"Saadia Khan" wrote:
wow i didnt know that, u learn sumthing new everyday.

u cant find ne thing ud like to study, ok i really wanted to study optometry and if i can still do it later on then inshallah i will try and do so.
do u know if u want to stay in the medical field

My eldest brother is a doctor, after seeing all the sleepiness night and hair lost lol, made me changed my mind.

I’ve lost interested in medicine- but Inshallah this year I hope I figure out what I want to do with myself.

"Saadia Khan" wrote:
lol inshallah, so have u taken a gap year?

If that is the correct term, this Gap has been 2 years and counting Cray 2

I would rather make the correct choice rather then making a rational decision or following the pack, for instance I have a friend who studied Media Design at university after his gradation, he is now working for London Underground customer service- where the logic in that?

lol oppsey error there
yes beast i apologise for being off topic wud u like to add nething (admin wanna be)