Palestinian cash crisis looms

Quote:
[size=18]Abbas warns of financial crisis[/size]

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas has said the Palestinian Authority (PA) is facing a "real financial crisis".

Mr Abbas was speaking hours after Israel approved a series of punitive measures against the PA, including withholding tax revenues.

He said aid had already begun to decrease, in the wake of Hamas' victory in Palestinian elections last month.

Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said the PA was becoming a "terrorist authority" and ruled out any contacts.

Mr Abbas is due to hold talks on the formation of a new Palestinian government with Hamas leaders on Monday.

He is expected to ask Hamas' Ismail Haniya to form a government, after his widely-anticipated nomination was confirmed on Sunday.

The militant group has carried out nearly 60 suicide bombings and hundreds of armed attacks against Israelis in recent years, although it has been observing an informal truce with Israel since 2005.

The US, along with the European Union, regard Hamas as a terrorist organisation.

The EU - the biggest donor to the PA - has threatened to stop funding unless Hamas recognises Israel, renounces violence and abides by previous peace accords.

[b]'Aid decreasing'[/b]

Speaking after the Israeli cabinet announced tough steps against the new Hamas-dominated PA, Mr Abbas said the Palestinians' situation was grave.

"Unfortunately, the pressures have begun and the support and the aid started to decrease... therefore we are currently in a real financial crisis," he told reporters in Gaza.

He confirmed that the United States had asked the PA to return $50m following Hamas' victory, but he said talks on the subject were continuing, AFP news agency reported.

Earlier Mr Olmert said Israel was not prepared to work with a PA in the hands of Hamas and said contacts would cease.

"The PA is, in practice, becoming a terrorist authority," Mr Olmert said.

"Israel will not hold contacts with the administration in which Hamas plays any part - small, large or permanent," he said.

He also announced a raft of punitive measures, including:

* Withholding monthly tax payments to the PA.

* Increased security checks at crossings between Israel and the Gaza Strip.

* A ban on the transfer of equipment to Palestinian security forces.

* Tightening restrictions on the movement of Hamas officials.

* Ask foreign donors to stop all payments to the PA.

Israel would however allow humanitarian aid to reach the Palestinians, Mr Olmert said.

The cabinet did not adopt harsher measures proposed by security officials, in apparent deference to US calls to avoid increasing hardships for ordinary Palestinians.

[b]'Faulty decision'[/b]

Speaking to the BBC, Israeli foreign ministry spokesman Mark Regev said Israel did not want any money to reach the militants.

"The logic is clear: with a terrorist group now in charge of the Palestinian treasury, no-one can assure Israel that we won't see these funds come back to haunt us in the form of suicide bombers."

Non-governmental organisations working in the Palestinian territories were likely to see Israel increase its backing for their work, Mr Regev added.

The newly-elected speaker of the Palestinian parliament, Hamas legislator Aziz Duaik, said Israel's new measures would prove counter-productive.

"This is a faulty decision, and the Israelis must reconsider their decision. It will only increase hatred."

[url= News[/url]

So... what can we do to help the palestinian people?

I do not think people who were asking for democracy have any right to complain if the decision did not go their way.

Is there a central Palestinian charity where ordinary people can donate money?

"Admin" wrote:

Is there a central Palestinian charity where ordinary people can donate money?

You will get done for financing terrorism.

If you want NGO Islamic charities I believe the most famous is [url=

Salam

Iran has said that it will back Hamas financially after US cut off aid to the newly elected group.

US and EU labels Hamas as a terrorist organisation.

In January elections the group won majority votes.

[url=

This offer from Iran means that now the US has no more carrots to dangle in front of Hamas leaders in order to get them to recognise Israel.

Infact, this stance from US will make the group even more popular.

Bad move Mr President. You have given another victory to the idiots.

Omrow

Omrow,

You seem to suggest that giving Hamas money to curry favour is a) workable and b) morally legitimate. The US proposes to continue offering genuine humanitarian and commercial assistance for Palestinians, but whatever else they do Hamas has long been categorically a terrorist organisation and has formally backtracked on progress that had been made with Fatah. Therefore aid contingent on progress will not go through Hamas. I say this in support of a dialogue which Hamas does not support. So at what point can the Great Satan retort that where there is hostility there can be no pretense at trust? I suggest such a retort is overdue and Hamas, Hizbollah, Iran et al are purposefully and obviously stoking flames and promoting cataclysm despite occasional flimsy attempts at denial to the international community. Deliberately flimsy so as not to alienate their fellow extremists and so as to give naive or nasty diplomats a figleaf. It is incongruous, Omrow, that you argue terrorism warrants carrots.

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

Morals and ethics do not matter.

That leaves one question. Is it workable?

The money obviously will not og to Hamas, but the palestinian Authority which has Hamas embers as the majority of the MP's.

The PA can be held accountable.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

To whom?

"100man" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

To whom?

Its not a moral question.

Both are wrong.

The occupation, and terrorist reprisals.

So the morals of the other side matter to your side, whichever side you are on, but your own sides morals do not matter... so its all just political, and morals and ethics are to be ignored.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

No, Admin. Morals matter.

"100man" wrote:
No, Admin. Morals matter.

To Hamas the immorality of the Israeli OPccupation matter.

To Israel the Immorality of past attacks that were over a year ago by hamas on civillians matter.

Neither are really relevbant, as that is not anything thaty can be changed.

Neither side has the higher moral ground.

No. Morals matter. You said they don't and have a whole lot of BS about it. Noone is saying moral high ground, just it would be immoral for the US simultaneously to oppose Hamas and fund them to curry favour. Isn't that what you and others have said many times about US funding for AQ and Saddam?

"100man" wrote:
You said they don't and have a whole lot of BS about it.

way to argue your point... :roll:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"100man" wrote:
You said they don't and have a whole lot of BS about it.

way to argue your point... :roll:

Just getting on subject and telling it straight. Admin was meandering.

Salam

100man. That is not what I had in mind.

Sometimes you do have to dangle a carrot to terrorists inorder to get him to sit and talk with the faint hope that he might, just might, come around to seeing your point of view.

If you dont do that, then there remains but one option. Threat of violence.

And somehow I doubt very much that threats will work with the likes of Hamas.

Omrow

Point taken Omrow, although I still could not stomach financing Hamas as they are so I am happy with America's decision. (I am fully aware you also have a commitment to honest consideration of political matters and humanitarian interests generally, and really sorry to have made the unintentional suggestion that you had fallen foul of me. Respect.)

Shabbat Shalom!

btw is there a similar phrase a Muslim might use on Friday?

No. No special words for Friday.

By the way, our Friday actually begins at sunset Thursday and lasts until beginning of your Shabbat.

Shabbat Salaam.

Alright. Alright. Thats enough love for one night. Lets save some for next Friday.

The money would still go to the Palestinian Authority, and not Hamas.

Just like our taxes go to the government, and not NewLabour.

So the argument about financing hamas is a moot point.

:roll:

You're not even concerned. Everything you said translates into 'Hamas is hunky-dory'.

How?

The PA has to keep accounts. It has to show where it spends its money. and how.

If there are irregularities, they should be investigated.

Let's see how Hamas holds up.

The EC[/url]"]In the course of its investigation, OLAF established that the PA leadership had transferred an amount of US $238 million to Swiss bank accounts between 1997 and early 2000, without informing its international donors.

That was before [url=.

And Hamas won on an anti-corruption ticket...

Anti-corruption and commitment to annihalation of Israel.

but they did not use the second one for the elections. Just a commitment to 1967 borders.

For a possible hudna.

"100man" wrote:
hudna.

???

If Hamas attacked now it's in the name of the Palestinian State, allowing Israel to formally declare war on the PA.

I hope they realize this

"Augustus" wrote:
If Hamas attacked now it's in the name of the Palestinian State, allowing Israel to formally declare war on the PA.

I hope they realize this

which is y they have kept their side of the truce for a while now i suppose. :?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Pages