Question

Question

1) Backbiting is wrong

2) And then I came across as: They are to hide the faults of man and the rest of creation, not only from others, but even from themselves and to have compassion and forgiveness for even the worst of sins

3) And whilst I understand both, my question is, Im sure we all know there are situations where you have to expose a persons faults for the better picture? 

4) How does it work? What is the best approach?

Im thinking of many different situations and getting a bit muddled

If there is a situatio where someone would need to know something about a person, e.g. if X was starting a business with Y but didn't know that Y had previously been involved in stuff that could harm the business then X should be told to prevent any negative consequences.

Or maybe X is looking for a spouse and comes across Y who outwardly seems suitable, but in fact isn't. In that case someone should tell X about Y so X can find a more suitable spouse.

But generally we should go around telling people when there's no need. E.g. when we're introduced to new people we shouldn't have all their bad habits and actions listed to us since it doesn't concern us.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Just because someone has been evil in the past doesn't mean they will be in the future.

But sometimes you may get the impression that they are about to be, so its probably better to intervene at that moment instead of "keeping the secrets", but there may be a way to do both.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Islam teaches that mankind is flawed. We are all sinners without exception. Which is why we are always encouraged to repent, because Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly (for forgiveness) and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean. (Quran, 2:222).

And ofcourse you cant truely repent if you go around flaunting the fact that you've committed this sin. Because that just comes across as being proudful of your sins. Which is why the holy Quran states that we should keep quiet about it and sincerely ask Allah (swt) for his forgiveness.

And ofcourse if we find out someone else is committing a sin we should hide it and keep it a secret. Because 'Whosoever covers (the sins of) a Muslim, Allah covers (his sins) on the Day of Judgment. (Reported by Bukhari)' ... (Side note: hmmm id never noticed how that bit specifically referred to hiding the sins of a Muslim. So does it not apply to the sins of a non-Muslim? Hhmmm something to ponder over later). This is generally the appropriate practice because the Muslim men and women are considered to be each others guardians/protectors of everything thats been deemed permissable and forbidden.

There is however an exception to the rule. As i understand it, the exception only applies if some great injustice would occur by your continued to consealment of that persons sin. I'll let you be the judge of what you consider a great injustice. But what we certainly dont ever do is gossip about their sins. Because that brings us back to backbiting, which is comparable sin as is eating the flesh of your own dead brother (Quran, 49:12).

And lets just say that Allah (swt) has a special place reserved for those who make a habbit of broadcasting the sins of others. So special infact that the Quarn does not go into detail.

I hope this reply is useful.

Back in BLACK

Topic locked