Tipton nail bomb could have hit hundreds

Bit late to share this news, but for those who haven't seen this, cuz it was apparently unworthy of being front paege news:

A one-hour delay to traditional Friday prayers saved hundreds of people from a nail bomb blast at a Black Country mosque.

A terrorism investigation is under way after the explosion near a Tipton mosque that sent nails and debris flying into buildings.

Counter terrorism police, the army and bomb disposal teams swooped after residents heard a loud bang near the Kanz-ul-Iman Muslim Welfare Association Central Jamia Mosque in Binfield Street.

Officers are reportedly concentrating on a disused rail track near the mosque.

Witnesses said windows were smashed and cars damaged by the blast but no one was injured. Police sealed off a large part of the town with hundreds of residents evacuated while they conducted a huge search, discovering nails scattered over a large area.

The explosion happened at 1pm when there should have hundreds of people inside the mosque – but the first Friday prayers of Ramadan had been put back by an hour so there were just three people there.

Fully story here: 

It's scary these attacks are getting nearer and nearer to me...

I dont get the one hour delay - Dhuhr time starts around quarter past 1 - half 1 in the summer.

There may have been a slight delay from the earliest time, but not an hour delay from 1.

But the bigger issue is that this act of terrorism is not newsworthy.

I guess that it is only newsworthy when carried out by Muslims, not against Muslims.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I dont get the one hour delay - Dhuhr time starts around quarter past 1 - half 1 in the summer.

There may have been a slight delay from the earliest time, but not an hour delay from 1.

I know I was thinking it may have been an hour later, so at 2, but it seems to be saying an hour earlier :S May be they've got the reporting slightly wrong.

Quote:
But the bigger issue is that this act of terrorism is not newsworthy.

I guess that it is only newsworthy when carried out by Muslims, not against Muslims.

Yep. I'm surprised they've finally called it terrorist unlike the other recent attacks. It's only Muslims who are a threat to the nation!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

That's not a reason to not mention it. The media obsesses with so much stuff which is just unecessary to know yet something that could have killed hundreds - which shows there are dangerous people amongst us, wasn't so heavily talked about. Also, for example, the shoe bomber didn't cause any casualities, yet everyone got to know him so why shouldn't this news?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Titanium wrote:
 but I'm not sure why people would be bothered by it? 
ok.

We were driving past a local mosque on Sunday evening and people were walking towards it to pray Asr in congregation. About 20 steps away from the entrance and at the corner of the junction, a policeman stood. Smile

Titanium wrote:
TPOS wrote:
Titanium wrote:
 but I'm not sure why people would be bothered by it? 
ok.

I don't get it. Is it supposed to spark a rebellion or ask people to live in fear? If its just so people are aware then I think the little spot light thus news got was enough to condemn the action before it causes real damage. 

I never thought about it being a stunt to get publicity - just an act to kill and maim.

I see how not giving it the publicity could be defeating the objectives of the person who planted the bomb.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Titanium got a valid point. but the DS still stands. its only worth making people fear another people when they're "strangers/foreigners"?

still, called terrorism, a step... i dont know in what direction actually.

also, didthis ever make it to bbc?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

I saw an article on the BBC. No idea if it went front page or not.

Now that this event has been linked to , of an 82 year old Muslim man returning home from mosque, it opens up more questions.

There was organisation and these bombings and the murder were not linked to the Woolwich murder, as even though the murder of the 82 year old was under reported (and the police had initially denied there being any links to a hate crime even though a white man had been seen running from the scene), it occurred before the Woolwich murder.

While there would be some media skewing due to the very public nature of the Woolwich murder, the lack of reporting does have an impact on stigma and inter community compassion.

To me the troubling thing about a lack of coverage is one of stigma - if crimes by individuals are shown to be by a community and not an individual, and at the same time crimes targetting the community are not publicised, it creates a public perception of a criminal community, who deserves what it gets.

That leads to more hate and more crime.

I read somewhere that since 9/11 50% of UK mosques had been vandalised.