The Cookery Thread

Because we're all gourmands here.

Well, I have been showing off some of my successful forages and cookery, and figured it would be encouraging for any aspiring cooks to have a thread for your best cookery pics and/or recipes.

Even though I had to google what the word 'gourmands' meant, I LOVE THIS TOPIC!

Good

Wicked.

From today:

This is a simple fry up with very little oil. With small tomatoes I like to cut them in half and fry them face down so that they develop a rich, sweet flavour cooking inside their skin and warm up throughout but keep their shape. The egg is just a bantam egg. And the rest is Chicken of the Woods (oh, that was first), and some chunks of brie thrown in near the end to begin melting. Proper nom.

[center][IMG]

And this is the best loaf I have made yet. I couldn't be terribly specific about quantities, but I basically mixed a few drops of water with the flour, added milk and some salt and sugar, and made it fluffy with my fingers. Then chucked in a small egg (I've been getting through the bantam eggs, that was the last one), melted butter with just a smidgeon of oil, mixed packet yeast in warm water (use the kettle, not the hot tap, to slightly warm the water) and had quite a sticky dough. Last time I kept adding flour to make it less sticky but in this case I just let it rise and the only extra flour came from super-thin dustings on the kneading board (just a flexi plastic chopping board). I kneaded it very loosely (a gentle punch and a fold, repeatedly) several times over the day (whenever I got back in) and left it covered in a warm room to rise each time. With work the dough firmed up but never lost its fluffiness. I let it proof on a buttered tray and smeared water on top (for crustiness) before bunging it in the oven for 45 mins and then taking it outside to cool. Voila:

[center][IMG]

[IMG]

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I thought that was a rock until I scrolled down. My bad. 

I like the first picture. Its colourful.

_Me_ wrote:
I thought that was a rock until I scrolled down. My bad.

Blum 3

Smile

I could never top that. Best thing I ever made was pizza. Although I did take a risk and attempt to make butterscotch cookies, which left me wondering why the mixture was moving around on the tray, so gave up on it. 10 minutes later it set. Just like magic..  

Used to absolutely hate cooking. The thought of stepping into the kitchen made me cringe. Now it's sort of a second home (Which won't last long). Wacko

_Me_ wrote:
I could never top that. Best thing I ever made was pizza. Although I did take a risk and attempt to make butterscotch cookies, which left me wondering why the mixture was moving around on the tray, so gave up on it. 10 minutes later it set. Just like magic..  

Used to absolutely hate cooking. The thought of stepping into the kitchen made me cringe. Now it's sort of a second home (Which won't last long). Wacko

Man in love

Pls take pics from now on!

Of course. If its not all gone by then. Pictures of the crumbs will suffice.

Biggrin

_Me_ wrote:
Of course. If its not all gone by then. Pictures of the crumbs will suffice.

Biggrin

Wkd!

Titanium wrote:
i dislike cooking however the bread looks very yummy! Did you eat a Paul Hollywood bakery book?

No but I did watch an episode of The Great British Bake Off. I liked that. Biggrin

Titanium wrote:
I can see brie. Brie is YUMMY! esp with roasted peppers and asparagus which will go really well with the crusty bread. 

Love Brie. Will take the tip. Cheers.

My cheeses never last. Last week it was Nettle Yarg and a couple of blues. I'm a cheese fiend.

Diablo

Depends which really. Biggrin

Some just have an awful stench but soft cow's milk blues have a great tang.

can we put bakes here?

Paul Hollywood, lol, my family, when someone makes something we "review" it Paul Hollywood style, from watching too much bake off.

there were so many new words in Joie's posts..sooo many.

does "gourmands" mean gluttons? coz thats what it means in french...

the food i make is never esthetique. i make food for survival really, doesnt have to look good, just a bit of protein there, as many veg as possible, some carbs and tadaaa. doesnt even have to taste good to me either. i really sound like food =survival, but its not that bad.

today we had rice with yellow lentils that had some veg in it..a juicy, melt-in-your-mouth kind of veg..its called a..*asks mum*  (mum doesnt know the english word..so here goes some googlesearching) its called ASH GOURD!

then there was white cabbage kinda stirfried with soysauce.

then i dont like that name, they're also known as okra. those were slightly fried with tomatoes and onions in a shallow pan. i fell in love with them when i saw their flower/star shaped cross section. they're also really slimy which is pretty fun.

then there was fish, floured and again fried with little oil in a shallow pan.

that was today's dinner.

i helped make...none of the above. i just watched and emptied the sink and made salad (ish, cut and made the sauce but left the mixing to my sis)

we have some sort of salad everyday, do you? my friends dont really... its weird. today was just lettuce and cucumber. yesterday tehre was raddishes and tomatoes and stuff (i just remember seeing colour, but raddish arent my fav so i averted my eyes...)

edit: let me just add a bit on salad here. whats your favourite part of the lettuce? i have to admit the white crunchy bit near the base is MY personal fav. and how dyou like your lettuce cut? thin strips or thick? mum likes thick, dad likes thin. so i cut a mix of both

salad sauce: ours consist of lemon, olive oil, mustard, teeeeny bit of salt (for the psyche) and thats it. mum likes it really mustardy, i dont, i like my salad to be refreshing and plain as a side to the food im having.

when do you have your salad after your food (like my dad) or during (like my mum)? i still havent figured it out for myself..

[sorry, most of those questions apply to a regular salad eater]

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

lol. I think you eat healthier veggie food than me! I want to put on half a stone, I will try for more lentils etc.

My favourite bit of iceberg lettuce is also that crunchy, watery, slightly bitter part you mentioned.

Yes, post your bakes!

Gourmands = lovers of fine food

If you have salad during food, you're more likely to fill yourself up quickly. But it's also a good way of absorbing vitamin c and helping with your digestive system. You're more likely to be full after you ate the meal, so there's no joy in eating salad after it imo.

For lettuce it has to be the fresh green part. I find the best way of cutting lettuce so they sort of look like confetti. AND, if you add other vegetables, like cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and a small dollop of salad cream, it tastes amazing. That would be as something to serve your meal with, of course. 

_Me_ wrote:
If you have salad during food, you're more likely to fill yourself up quickly. But it's also a good way of absorbing vitamin c and helping with your digestive system. You're more likely to be full after you ate the meal, so there's no joy in eating salad after it imo.

you're going to eat the same amount of food whether you have sald with or after your meal. absorbing vits and helping the colon will also happen if you eat salad after a meal.

you could have a small mneal and fill up your belly with salad if you're trying to cut down on intake.

why is there no joy for you in eating salad after meal?

anyone here ever had Polish food, we have a Polish friend and her foods are A-Yum! so simple but soooooo delish! all those soups and conserves etc..the meals are sooo simple but made in such a way that..wouaw, just wouaw. i also love potatoes and i think potatoes is their main source of carbs/staple food soo i might be slightly bias on that aspect.

I love the smell of coriander. That is all.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

TPOS wrote:
I love the smell of coriander. That is all.

coriander is nice.

my mum cuts it up and puts it in the freezer. i cnt tell the difference with it and parsley. why cnt i!?!?! so upsetting. i need to get both together and compare and smell them.

have you ever smelt rosemary? oregano? they're fabulous! so are all herbs of course, thyme and basil.

anyone cooks in a way where they just think "hmm..what would do with this..? peppers! yellow ones to add colour, and oregano! *smells* hmm..and rosemary! jsut a lil bit and basil and thyme [just for the sake of it really..] and then take a good whiff YUUUUUM"

herbs are amazing, there was once jsut pasta. i added olive oil, oregano and rosemary (and maybe other herbs) and had that. just that. (Y)

17 posts in the space of a day. Food and cooking seems to very popular eh?

This summer I am diving into the kitchen because I promised dad that I would. I can currently make noodles, toast and something else that i'm missing. It takes me three hours to make a stir fry (mother blames that on a lack of experience and for keeping the kitchen spotless while i cook) and cake (which i haven't made in over a year, maybe more actually).

I think my dad is secretly looking forward to it too and I have absolutely no way out of it, because a promise is a promise. He also wants me to go and live with my grandma or with his sister and learn the Malawian twist to food. I think I'd like to learn this history too.

My Indian friends always talk about dish x, y and z and sometimes I wonder why in the world I've never heard of it and why I don't have that sort of culture in me. They come out with some funny sounding names and i just look at them with a blank face. But that's probably because mother hasn't made it yet so perhaps i will venture out and discover.  

Looking to See once told me to add scrambled egg to my lovely koka noodles. I'm definitely not going to try that again. (Sorry, just didn't work for me). Koka noodles shall always remain koka noodles with the exception of the addition of the fried onions that come in packets. I will have my protein through another method. 

We have salad with almost every meal unless we have yoghurt with shredded cucumbers instead. I like the big leaves but if i'm asked to cut the lettuce then i'm more likely to make them into really thin strips. Then add salt, pepper and some lemon juice. 

You guys eat way healthier than I do. I never get through tins and packets of beans and pulses, and you seem to know an awful lot about herbs and veg. ftr although I don't post pictures of everything, what I post here isn't the tip of the iceberg or owt, it's things I'm proud of.

_Me_ wrote:
Best thing I ever made was pizza.

That's cool. I've been thinking of making pizzas.
Hummus wrote:
I like the big leaves but if i'm asked to cut the lettuce then i'm more likely to make them into really thin strips. Then add salt, pepper and some lemon juice.

Mmmm.

On my way out this evening I'll pop into the falafel place on Newton Street. I do have good recipes for falafel and humous but their food is pretty filling and they keep the place clean.

for some reason right now, scrambled eggs adn koka noodles doesnt sound good at all...