Smarter than the average Yogi

Omne ignotum pro magnifico,” (Everything unknown seems magnificent).

It all started on a Friday lunch, much like any other week at work. There was the usual last minute work before the weekend set in. The boss was mysteriously (if not atypically) absent due to some illness so there was an atmosphere of relaxation followed by the usual light hearted banter.

I was absorbed in my work when the topic of conversation turned to lunch and the many a places my work mate wanted to go. She was an indian hindu girl who proudly wore the tika and in a society where people no longer held to their scriptures she had been raised to hold true to hers. And yet, she ate much like a Hobbit. With two breakfasts and two lunches (such is the teasing of friends). But all in all a delightful and intelligent girl. For the sake of this story we shall refer to her as Kay.

Everyone had given her their lunch orders for the day, McDonalds. I smiled and kindly declined (their food was always questionnable to me). The next half hour or so progressed as any other work day did, when my attention was suddenly drawn to the window by my colleagues remark 'Whose that talking to Kay?'
A glance outside the window showed that Kay was still in her car, whilst a stranger stood at her window talking to her. He seemed to be of Indo/Paki decent, with a dark complexion which made me think it was more so the former than the later. He was dressed in jeans, a bubble jacket (or something that could perhaps have once passed for a life jacket), all of which was nicely kept, clean and tidy with short black curly hair. He had a Charles Bronson type of moustache and a rough, 2/3 day shaved look about him.

What was even more strange was that, i had never seen him before. Whilst this may not seem like a big thing to you, our offices were located in a residential area and in the middle of a caucasian area.

Five minutes must have passed while she remained in her car talking to this unknown stranger at her window. Understandably my colleagues were getting restless waiting for their food. However something seemed amiss, so i ventured out to check Kay was alright.
At my approach his posture seemed to be relaxed but not threatening. However cornering someone at their car is hardly the decent thing to do. He swiftly took a few steps back as he saw i meant to interfere. I enquired if Kay was alright and if she had managed to acquire the lunch order. She saw by the steel look in my eye that I had infact come to check on whether she was ok. She smiled nervously, and said she was ok although something in her eye seemed to suggest she was uneasy. She explained she was just talking to this man before she asked that i take the food inside. Giving the man a look of warning I collected the lunch order and returned to the office. She returned to the office shortly after, clearly shaken when she asked to speak to me alone.

What she divulged was as follows: That the man claim to be a Yogi from Ajmer Sharif and had awaited specifically for her because he had a message for her. The message was that he believed she was the victim of black magic which is why she doesnt have any children. She had protested ofcourse at the time, however he had scribbled something on a piece of paper before handing it to her. He then asked her date of birth, to pick a number from a choice of random numbers, the year of her marriage etc. After asking these questions he asked her to open up the paper which revealed all her answers. This he presented as proof of his abilities. He then gave her an orange stone and told her to place the stone beneath her pillow with a red pen before she goes to bed. That night she will have a dream in which she will receive a 'mantra' which she is to write down as soon as she wakes up and then to call him on his mobile and he will help her undo this magic.
She showed me to stone. It appeared to be a calcite stone, approximately 15mm in length and 10mm wide. She appeared to be quite shaken by the event and awaited some words of reassurance. 

My initial thoughts were that it was all codswallop & he was clearly a conman and only after money.
Kay insisted however that this was much more as he had managed to guess many things about her. Like where she was from and that she was married and that she did not have any children.
Of course I told her to be keen observer this was all evident. Her accent giveaway where she was from, her tika showed that she was married and she appeared to be traditional and working. Factor in bone structure of the lower abdomen and many people would chalk up to no children. 
But 'he knew my date of birth' she explained 'how could he possibly know this?'
I handed her my mobile phone and showed her Facebook page which clearly stated her date of birth a.k.a. it was within the public domain.
But how did he guess the random numbers?
In much the same way a magician guesses which is your card. its all a mind game. The purpose of which of course is to unsettle her and therefore making it easy to extort money. And surely if he was a yogi from Ajmer Sharif then it follows that he would ask her to pray to Allah (swt) instead of reciting a mantra. And what kind of the yogi carries a mobile phone?
The answers all point towards this man being a con man.

thoughts?

Back in BLACK

This is severe emotional abuse and at best it will result in a terrible rip-off - at least enough to be worth his while digging up her info. She confided in you as a friend partly because you are no fool, and I am no fool and I say you are right. He needs to be investigated urgently.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

If she wants to see where it goes, then let it be.

At the same time wait for the scam line, and intervene then. before, its probably not harmful to let her choose whether to play ball or not

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Sephhyy the Super Man, lol Blum 3

I'm still weirded out by the whole occurance. It's actually quite freaky. From that, it seems so easy to think that the stranger talking to you about personal details is someone that knows much more about you. He IS obviously a conman without a doubt.

In the town markets there once was this lady who sat in this decorated box/carriage and people were queuing up, paying her to get their fortune told for a fiver. No idea why in the world you would want to do that but it probably seems interesting.

We always get papers and cards coming through our letter box about black magic, problems in the family, how to avoid a divorce and all sorts. Even the Muslims are doing it too. It's always Sheikh so and so, on this number, at a low rate. The amount of hatred i have towards things like that is unexplainable. No one can come and tell you that your problems can be solved by paying money to a man.

We also get another sort. It's a paper with drawings of a patterned hand saying that if you call the number up and turn up at some address, they'll read your palm and have your fortune told. It's scary. That day i ripped and shredded that entire paper up and threw it in the bin right away.

As you can see i hate this sort of stuff, lol.

I confiscated the stone and destroyed it. I told her to delete his number, because she is a lil superstitious and might have been tempted to call the freak. Cant be having that kind of drama.

Although i believe in the existance of black magic, i really dont like how some people jump to that conclusion before looking for something more real. When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains. No matter how improbable must be the truth.

Conmen like that are not likely to turn up again. So i surmise that this should be the end of the matter.

Back in BLACK

slightly stalkerish traits to this conman or is it just me?

it seems quite a lot of effort to find all those info out, track where she works and corner her to scare her abt a very personal problem.

ooooooooor is all those infos readily available and thus making this man just a conman, and not a stalker too?

if the info is not easy to get, then she needs to be careful and to do somethign abt it. like report him to the police, not everyone has a Super Seraph is their lives.

what's a yogi?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Seraphim wrote:
Conmen like that are not likely to turn up again. So i surmise that this should be the end of the matter.

Not to his next victim.

EDIT: I didn't mean to make that a guilt trip! If now you've nothing to go off in terms of filing a report, what you did getting her to erase his details was definitely in her best interests and you're already a hero in this instance.

Looking To See wrote:
slightly stalkerish traits to this conman or is it just me?

it seems quite a lot of effort to find all those info out, track where she works and corner her to scare her abt a very personal problem.

ooooooooor is all those infos readily available and thus making this man just a conman, and not a stalker too?

if the info is not easy to get, then she needs to be careful and to do somethign abt it. like report him to the police, not everyone has a Super Seraph is their lives.

what's a yogi?

A stalker is usuallly just obsessed with a person, whereas a conman is just interestd in getting money from his target.

A yogi is someone who practices yoga and spiritualism thru meditation etc etc. 

A description that didnt really fit this guy.

The police have been notified, although i doubt much will come of it.

Lol @ Super Seraph. 

Back in BLACK

Joie de Vivre wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

Not to his next victim.

EDIT: I didn't mean to make that a guilt trip! If now you've nothing to go off in terms of filing a report, what you did getting her to erase his details was definitely in her best interests and you're already a hero in this instance.

lol it sounded like you were asking me to hunt this guy down or something.

Be there for others and Allah (swt) will be there for you Smile

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
lol it sounded like you were asking me to hunt this guy down or something.

I know, sorry! U da man. If ever you do want a mission from OPAL just let me know. Wink