It’s Minor!

Salaam

Many sin nowadays are referred to as being “minor”, yes, some sins ARE minor however, we are told to avoid the small sins in Islam. Why? Cos it’s the small sins that pile up when committed continuously.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said “verily the example of those who commit minor sins is like a group of people who descended upon a valley. One of them brought a stick, and then another person brought a stick, and then another and another, until they gathered enough for a fire to cook their bread. This is similar to the idea of minor sins, because the accumulation of small sins will eventually become enough to destroy you (just like the piling of sticks was eventually enough to create a fire)"

SO, in this thread why don’t we list and highlight the small sins that we may commit on a day to day basis and try to keep away from them?

To list a few….

1-Lying about your age to get a cheaper train/bus/coach ticket. OK so you look 12 even though you’re 21, but don’t take advantage of it.

2-Using the office/schools photocopy machine to make personal copies of things.

3-Jumping on the bus without paying.

4-Talking whilst a speech or kutbah is going on.

5-Talking to someone on your mobile in a middle of a lecture in Uni or mosque. It’s downright rude. AND, having your phone on loud at a time when it really should be switched off.

6-Using the phone at work to make personal calls.

7-Litter. Please keep Britain tidy.

8-Wasting time. Yep, that’s a sin too.

9-Telling mum that the food she cooked is “yucky”. That manifest ungratefulness and is rude.

10-Listening to loud music in public. No one wishes to hear the rude lyrics you’re listening to.

11-Arriving late to any function/meeting/gathering etc

12-Throwing rubbish in your neighbours garden.

Feel free to add your own

Wasalaam

in London we have these very long bendy buses

the num 25-takes u to oxford street etc

anyway-tis VERY easy to jump on without paying as the bus has lots of doors

but its not worth the shame when u get clocked

bear people have got clocked by the ticket inspector in front of me :shock:

guilty as charged for numerous offences

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Forgive me fatheress, for i hath sinned.

I have pulled short cuts while washing my dads car.

I lied (to break up with my girlfriend)

I stole (from the rich to give to the poor)

I created a profile on shadi.com even tho im married 4 times already.

Omrow

(sounds Omrow-esque)

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Apart from wasting time i think i pass the rest of your rules with flying colours never done any of them. ok so how many cookies do i get this time? Biggrin

I always tell others off for throwing rubbish. Talking of rubbish that old granny next door had a fold out bed in her garden, apparently some one dumped it there. Anyways she blamed us for it. hubby said we don't own fold out beds, and if we had rubbish we'd take it to a skip or get someone to remove it for us. She didn't wana hear none of it..guess what she did? She dumped the bed in our yard obviously with the help of her son coz shes too old. Now i'm mad. My husband got it and threw it in a skip, he didn't say nothing to her. I'm proud of him!

Hope we don't get any more trouble from her, we've done nowt to her Sad

I've never lied about my age on the bus. The driver once charged me half fare i was so insulted i said look mate i'm 21 full fare for me please lol. But saying i've never lied on other occasions would be stretching the truth, i have said things like i'm at uni when really i was just shopping or eating out with friends. Seems minor but still sinful i know.

No sin is minor if you consider who it is you're sinning against :idea:

how would you define this sin

Quote:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I noticed from my own experience the problem with minor sins is that most of the time the one deciding which are minor and which are major is me.

"Well it's not like i'm not committing murder - i'll make up for this by doing something good later"

It's incredible how deep you can fall when you let one lead to another - it's almost like minor sins are gateway drugs.

"Fresh Prince" wrote:
how would you define this sin

Quote:

Free time is a blessing..if you dont use it for what will benefit you in the next life, then u've misused this blessing, and you shall be asked on how you spent your life :

"The two feet of a servant will not move from their places until he is asked about four things: about his youth and how he spent it; and about his lifespan and what he did with it; and about what how well he acted upon his knowledge; and about his earnings - where he got it from and what he spent it on." (tirmidhi)

i think that is it fresh prince..

Salaam

Every action can either bring noor (light) or darkness. And every act is either a sin or brings rewards.

There is no action which can be described as ‘neutral’ (i.e. neither brings noor (light) or darkness).

Even if we spend our time doing nothing at all, this will cause darkness to cloud over our hearts and soul because as Naj pointed out how we spent our time on Earth is something that we will be asked about on the Day of Judgement.

Apparently, some scholars say that when minor sins are accompanied by a lack of shame or regret and are taken lightly, then there is the risk that they will be counted as major sins.

Also minor sins committed persistently are no longer regarded as minor sins but major sins…

BUT, on a more positive note….I heard that wudu etc wipes away minor sins.

Wasalaam

"Don Karnage" wrote:
I noticed from my own experience the problem with minor sins is that most of the time the one deciding which are minor and which are major is me.

"Well it's not like i'm not committing murder - i'll make up for this by doing something good later"

Yeh, thats self justifications which is a sin in itself.

However, in Islam sins are regarding as being either "minor" or "major"...however, comparing them with one another like you pointed out is wrong.

Im guilty of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(txtn not talking), 7(but im cutting it way down), 8, 11 (been late to everything in my life... functions, weddings, lectures, exams).

Im also guilty of cheating at any game especially if im playing against a sibling (i always cheat when playing manopoly with my Mez and big bro..lol).

Guilty of breaking the traffic laws, exceeding speed limit, Parking In Disabled section, giving other drivers the finger. Screaming profanity at them. Basic i turn into a whole different person once im behind the wheel.

Other than that... im a saint.

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:

Guilty of breaking the traffic laws, exceeding speed limit, Parking In Disabled section, giving other drivers the finger. Screaming profanity at them. Basic i turn into a whole different person once im behind the wheel.

breaking the law of the land, swearing, hurting and possibly harming others, anger etc are all major sins :shock:

yeah but minor motor offences.....are they sins too? :?

anyone who sticks to the highway code is gonna be late all thier lives, and accordin to that list, thats a sin too!

so if im not doing ibadah, or something for a good cause, say for instance.....im jus sittin talkin about general things with friends, is that wasting time?

relaxing? a lil chill :?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

What if i smoke sheesha while talking about how we can change the world for the good?

Sheesha relaxes the body, and invigorates the brain..

Smookey smokerson reporting from bedroom computer, over and out.

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

"Fresh Prince" wrote:
so if im not doing ibadah, or something for a good cause, say for instance.....im jus sittin talkin about general things with friends, is that wasting time?

i guess if you're 'friends for the sake of Allah' then u may even get thawaab - provided u dont do/say anything wrong in eachothers company ofcourse.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

and you dont glare at the flatscreen tvs whilst ur talkin

:roll:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Fresh Prince" wrote:

i guess if you're 'friends for the sake of Allah' then u may even get thawaab - provided u dont do/say anything wrong in eachothers company ofcourse.

And if we happen to play a little x-box while we're chatting whats the harm in that... and if we munch on some popcorn surely theres nothing damning about that? :twisted:

Back in BLACK

Salaam

There can’t be anything wrong with chilling…especially if you’re generally a hard worker.

It’s important to keep the mind fresh for work and Ibadah and this can only be possible if you take it easy every now and again.

Hadrat Ali (ra) said “Refresh your minds from time to time, for a tired mind becomes blind”.

Be it via books, with your mates, playing games…or whatever.

That isn’t wasting time…however, if you’re generally a lazy bum and are ALWAYS dossing and wasting time then that can’t be right…

Wasalaam

makes sense now

a balance needs to be struck

i thought wasting time would include chilling......altho excess chilling would be :oops:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Fresh Prince" wrote:

"Seraphim" wrote:
And if we happen to play a little x-box while we're chatting whats the harm in that... and if we munch on some popcorn surely theres nothing damning about that? :twisted:

erm, guys, i'm not sure if these comments were in reply to my post? if so, whats ur point?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"MuslimSister" wrote:

There can’t be anything wrong with chilling…especially if you’re generally a hard worker.

whenever i come home from Uni and the house is quiet I always take a nap

hard work takes a lot outta me :shock:

thats why I chill a LOT

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Fresh Prince" wrote:

"Seraphim" wrote:

erm, guys, i'm not sure if these comments were in reply to my post? if so, whats ur point?

i got it wrong, mine was in response to razors

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

i'm finding it hard to list my faults, my brain has gone dead help me out i'll say yes or no.

just thght of one i do since i got married. I frown at my mother in law or mumble, mind you behind her back not in front of her (not that it makes it any better). Well she tests my patience sometimes. I do my best not to do it, but some days when i've got a lot to do and she is asking me to do things for her i do get ticked off. Later i feel bad, think God can see me frowning, He won't be pleased and neither would mother in law if she saw Sad

"yashmaki" wrote:

just thght of one i do since i got married. I frown at my mother in law or mumble, mind you behind her back not in front of her (not that it makes it any better). Well she tests my patience sometimes. I do my best not to do it, but some days when i've got a lot to do and she is asking me to do things for her i do get ticked off. Later i feel bad, think God can see me frowning, He won't be pleased and neither would mother in law if she saw Sad

Cray 2

i mutter under my breath and get iritated with my nan too

this is a MAJOR sin

comes under the saying "uff" to mothers rule :?

wow same as uff u sure :shock:. im in the major league no wonder icouldn't think of minor ones im so bad, you made me feel worse now Sad
I'll try not to do it.

i used to uff a lot when i was in my teens like harry enfield mode those stroppy teens, "uff do i have to pour my own cereal can't you do it for me is it too much to ask", it's not funny i shouldn't have been like that. excuse i swear it was the hormones.

I have that problem with my mum at times.....

She really does test my patience, I just about control my mouth

So bad...gives me a hurting lump in my throat.

LOL

yash-we all been thru the stroppy teenager phase

even though some of us are still in it :oops:

but i know respect of elders is stressed

and correct me if I'm wrong but dont a mother inlaw have a status in Islam similar to own mother?

or shud she be respected cos she's someone mother?

not same status as our mothers but should be respected coz she's your partners mother, and elder. Give them same respect as you would your own.

Well mine is getting treated better than i treated my own mother, duno how bad that makes me feel looking back.

Salaam

Self justifications are one of the main reasons why many of us commit minor sins.

Too many of us focus on the extreme sins of other Muslims, and then look at our own sins and feel reassured that we are better then them.

For instance, some see nothing wrong with checking out members of the opposite sex cos as least “they’re better then those who date” and those who date consider their own sins minor cos as “they’re better then those who go all the way”.

A sins a sins, which all brings about the anger and punishment of God and causes our heart to be hard and clouded with darkness.

Waslaam

An interesting hadith relating to this topic is

“Indeed, the believer sees his sins as if he was standing at the foot of a mountain fearing that it will fall upon him and the sinner sees his sins like a fly which passes by his nose so he tries to remove it by waving his hand around. [Bukhari]