Burma acknowledges mass burnings

Quote:

Satellite images of apparent burning

Burma's president has acknowledged major destruction in the west of the country, after Human Rights Watch released satellite pictures showing hundreds of buildings destroyed in the coastal town of Kyaukpyu alone. There is long-standing tension between ethnic Rakhine people, who make up the majority of the state's population, and Muslims, many of whom are Rohingya and are stateless. The Burmese authorities regard the Rohingya as illegal immigrants and correspondents say there is widespread public hostility to them. In Bangladesh, border officials said they believed several boats with Rohingyas on board were waiting to try to cross the river from Burma. One official said 52 Rohingya had been sent back in the last few days. Muslims throughout Burma have abandoned plans to celebrate the festival of Eid al-Adha because of the violence.

Read more on: 

I'm surprised muslim aid organisations and muslim human rights groups have not got involved. This has been going on since June/July, and it is state sponsored ethnic cleansing. The tensions have always been there,,spurred on by the Myanmar government and Burmese Buddhist monks. But the apparent rape of a Buddhist woman added fuel to the fire. Also the fact is the rohingya people and other muslims have lived in that region for centuries, in fact Arab Muslims settled there first. The rohingyas who are bengali may have come from chittagong intially for work and settled, hence rohingyas still there now. It's funny how they never were a huge problem for centuries, and now the bangladeshis don't want them and the Myanmar government dont want them, and are spurring on the killing sprees. I don't believe the rape of 1 woman caused this level of violence. I'm not saying the rape of a woman is insignificant I just don't believe the Burmese side in this, its too simplistic. Al Jazeera covered this in detail, the bbc and other western media have failed, they like to show us conflicts where they can benefit by intervening, if there's nothing in it for the western countries they like to sit back sip their tea and watch.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]