Cradle 2 the Grave

The soul in Islam is the ethereal substance — spirit (Hebrew:rooah or nefesh) — particular to a unique living being. The soul is both immortal and innately aware of its immortal nature, as well as the true basis for sentience in each living being.

According to the Qur'an of Islam (15:29), the creation of man involves Allah "breathing" a soul into him. This intangible part of an individual's existence is "pure" at birth and has the potential of growing and achieving nearness to God if the person leads a righteous life.

At death the person's soul transitions to an eternal afterlife of bliss, peace and unending spiritual growth (Qur’an 66:8, 39:20). This transition can be pleasant (Heaven) or unpleasant (Hell) depending on the degree to which a person has developed or destroyed his or her soul during life (Qur’an 91:7-10).

The hereafter is the attainment of spiritual bliss. For Muslims, heaven is a completion of one's spiritual journey, the Qur'an is clear a person cannot imagine the beauty of the hereafter. Although physical descriptions are used for heaven, the rewards of the hereafter are beyond our conception.Heaven is described as "dar al-Salam," the "ultimate abode of peace."

Which Prompts the question does the concept of good, evil, peace and human values only exist because of our belief in the hereafter?

Does the soul have a single purpose and is it eternal? Or once the purpose has been achieved does the soul die? Can a soul die?

How does one measure his soul? How do you know its there?

What hurts the soul? To live without tasting the water of its own essence.

"Seraphim" wrote:

Does the soul have a single purpose and is it eternal? Or once the purpose has been achieved does the soul die? Can a soul die

i believe the soul is created and is not eternal...

after a person passes away the soul does not die, only the body dies because when the soul seperates from the body and until it is returned back the soul recieves punishment or reward.I f the soul did die the question of reward or punishment upon them wouldnt arise.

and ALLAH TA'ALA has stated," think not of those who are killed in the way of ALLAH as dead.Nay they are alive,with their Lord,and they have provision.They rejoice with what ALLAH has bestowed upon them of his Bounty and rejoice for the sake of those who have not yet joined them,but are left behind (not yet martyred) that on them no fear shall come nor shall they grieve." (surah ali-imraan 169-170)

after the blowing of the trumpet the souls will die.

pls correct me if i am wrong.

I can't speak for Judaism but in Christianity the soul is eternal by virtue of the fact everyone is either going to heaven or hell, and both heaven and hell are eternal - punishment or reward.

It's eternal by consequence of God designing it and allowing it to be so.

However whether this carried into Islam is a different story