Third Culture Kids

Ruth Van Reken:
“A third culture kid is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside their parents’ culture. The third culture kid builds relationships to all the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the third culture kid’s life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background, other TCKs.

The term makes such people sound alienated.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

*Scratches head*

I think its more about 'knowing' and 'accepting' that there 'are' other cultures and religions and not trying to kick them out, or ignore them totallly. I think thats what this generation is working on, more than the previous generation.

@Hummus: what?! i mean..pardon me? i didnt get any of it or its relation to this topic

@TPOS: do you think you're one of them?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Hummus wrote:

*Scratches head*

I think its more about 'knowing' and 'accepting' that there 'are' other cultures and religions and not trying to kick them out, or ignore them totallly. I think thats what this generation is working on, more than the previous generation.

So what you're saying is that a new culture is being formed by the third generation which incorporates many other cultures, a kind of hybrid culture if you like in years to come forming a totally new culture to be passed on to generations to come.

Cant say if this will be good or bad- all cultures started somewhere and this one started here, it's exiting to be witness to the birth of a new culture, could be scary for parents though

There we go! Thanks both of you. That's what i meant and what Titanium mentioned is exactly what seems to be happening. (It does make sense to me, and i can't see how it's not related to these 'third culture kids'). In a way, a new culture is being formed. I don't mean that the children are totally denying and disrespecting the way their parents think, but they are simply moving their thoughts about others, along with time.