"Get Married....or Die Trying"

Looks like an event for..... kids. The way it's laid out and the colour scheme. LOL!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

@the Seraph whats so funny?

@Lampy il let you know if it is.

Ive never actually been to one of these before. Apparently they hold one every year near Valentines. Has anyone been to anything like this (not that your gonna admit it)?

wednesday wrote:
We had one today, it was called "Girls and Boys... and islamic perspective to romance"... I went to one last year, and I knew what they were gna talk about in this talk so didn't really bother with it. It's always before Valentine's Day.

Would you say in your opinion that it raised some interesting points? Did you find it beneficial? Did you learn anything? Would you recommend it to someone who has never been? Sorry a lot of questions.

wednesday wrote:
I learnt that we aren't allowed to mingle for some reasons that didn't make sense then but I do see why now...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

IS the problem with the mingling or with not having an easy halaal option afterwards?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I was trying to link to the topic where I quoted Shaykh Al Qaradawi (but not linked to the article, or that it was a quote of him) to get some comments, discussion.

erm well the dude IMO came across as a bit of a extremist. If hes a wahhabi that would explain a lot. Some of the stuff he said was not true or i found a bit dodgy.

For example he stated that there was no such thing as divorce in the Prophets Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) family which isnt true. Zainab Bint Jahsh (may Allah(swt) be pleased with her) was first married to the Prophets Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) foster son. The marriage didnt work out so they divorced and then the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) married her.

Another example, he said that in the Quran it states if a single person commits adultery then its 100 lashes and if married then they have to be stoned to death. Ive read that in the Quran but its not in the main text rather its in the footnotes which tend to be hadiths or the writers opinion.

Final example which i must admit i have no knowledge of and need to go away and research it but found it proper dodgy. He was saying if a guy is considering a woman for marriage then in the presence of a wali he can see her hair, arms and wait for it.....legs! :? If someone knows/has read anything about this please feel free to share.

Overall a complete waste of time. Didnt learn anything new nor was the talk aimed at ppl like me.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

murtaza khan said that? he is a bit full on.

Naz wrote:
He was saying if a guy is considering a woman for marriage then in the presence of a wali he can see her hair, arms and wait for it.....legs! :? If someone knows/has read anything about this please feel free to share.

did he mention an incident about a sahabi, he saw a woman without hijab but she didn't no he saw him or something like that.

HTs also hold that view, its in one of their books, well a book written by their founder. there are some scholars that hold that view, very very few though. mainstream is no, you cannot see a womans hair or any other part of her body.

hrm... the HT have some redeeming qualities then?

i take that back. it was in some book of their founder but i don't think hts hold that view.

ok, they are a useless bunch of... forgeddit it.

They be ok I guess.

EDIT

back onto topic - I remember hearing that hadith - I think the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had encouraged the sahabi to see her before marriage?

I had always assumed that even with that, it was under "normal" conditions and not questioned it. Got a link/explanation for the hadith?

in the presence of her wali. her face and stuff to see if any attraction is there.

Naz wrote:
erm well the dude IMO came across as a bit of a extremist. If hes a wahhabi that would explain a lot. Some of the stuff he said was not true or i found a bit dodgy.

Try and not stick a label to someone without knowing them properly.

Naz wrote:
Another example, he said that in the Quran it states if a single person commits adultery then its 100 lashes and if married then they have to be stoned to death. Ive read that in the Quran but its not in the main text rather its in the footnotes which tend to be hadiths or the writers opinion.

His ruling was correct though.

Naz wrote:
Final example which i must admit i have no knowledge of and need to go away and research it but found it proper dodgy. He was saying if a guy is considering a woman for marriage then in the presence of a wali he can see her hair, arms and wait for it.....legs! :? If someone knows/has read anything about this please feel free to share.

The ijma is that a man cannot do what you have said. But there is an opinion which is not taken that states that a man is allowed to do the above. Did he mention the scholar's name of whom he took the opinion from?

Btw was the talk recorded?

Is it wrong to find the least strict interpretation of all rulings and follow them?

We could call it the least strict Madhab? LSM for short.

That is very perverted, so potentially if a women has many many proposals and all these men hold the view that they can see her arms and legs then all these men wil have viewed her body, thats disgusting.

You wrote:
Is it wrong to find the least strict interpretation of all rulings and follow them?

We could call it the least strict Madhab? LSM for short.

It's not wrong at all for a layman to do that.

But if someone is a student of knowledge, they have to stick to one madhab, because that is the way to approach scripture.

But you and I can pick and choose!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Wahay!

You wrote:
Wahay!

n.b. the rulings you choose to follow still have to be correct... you can't pick and choose the opinions of idiots.

Stick to the four madhabs to be safe.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Naz wrote:
He was saying if a guy is considering a woman for marriage then in the presence of a wali he can see her hair, arms and wait for it.....legs! :? If someone knows/has read anything about this please feel free to share.

perv

Back in BLACK

That's like saying that you have to actually believe the food in a shop is halaal instead of just taking the shopkeeper's word for it.

No fair!

("This 'vodka', is halaal yes?")

Naz wrote:

Final example which i must admit i have no knowledge of and need to go away and research it but found it proper dodgy. He was saying if a guy is considering a woman for marriage then in the presence of a wali he can see her hair, arms and wait for it.....legs! :?

that is wrong
A girl would probably go through several potential marriage partners so than however many people she probably wont marry will see her body and its pervy

SMILE! its charity Wink