Can believers be selfless?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

im thinking though.

doing things for the pleasure of Allah. thats wanting to please somebody else = selfless no?

just a point im putting out there.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Foysol89 wrote:
ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
If believers do good deeds for heaven/to avoid hell, then can they really be selfless?

As believers are we told to be selfless?

Main thing is that whatever we do we do it for the pleasure of Allah. Now there are things we are told to do that we may not like but as a believer we do it for the sake of Allah. However there are also many things that we are told are good deeds and that we should do them and they're also a pleasure for us.

We are told to go out and earn for ourselves, we are told to eat & drink etc. i don't think anyone can say that they only do this for the sake of Allah and they don't take any benefit in it for themselves. There are many things we do for the sake Allah that we also enjoy doing and it also benefits us in this dunya.

We aren't told to be selfless so i don't think we should be selfless. Obviously we were created by Allah to serve Allah but we're different from any other creation, we've been created with desires, needs etc. we are not selfless creations.

Doing thing fisabilillah and for yourself aren't contradictory (is that a word)

Anyway Allah knows best. May Allah guide us all. Ameen

Assalamu alaikum Smile

Wow! that's a good answer, I agree with it totally!

Lilly: if you do something for Allah totally that'd be selfless, but I don't think that's humanely possible. There's always a tiny bit in it for you, even if it's just the satisfaction...

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Pages