How to control your anger

My nephew pulled out my keys (on this laptop), the 'A','S','3','4' have all been removed - so I'm pressing the sort of rubber button thing underneath. Anyway, i told him off and then stomped upstairs and shut the room door. Now i feel pretty bad.

The question is not whether i was right or wrong about telling him off but rather when someone is angry, how do they go about controlling it?

The only way i know is by sitting if standing, laying down if sitting etc (as the Hadith of the Prophet).

Does anyone know of other ways?

Keeping in mind that in the heat of the moment things are not always as simple as ABC.

Shokran!

*EDIT* Since writing this, my nephew opened the room door with a tiny tear in his eye and said 'choya [then my name]'. My heart melted - silly beautiful baby.

*EDIT 2* I didn't hit him! No way, never ever ever! Shok Just told him off in a really stern voice!

Read "A'udhu Billahi Min ash-Shaitan ir-Rajeem" - 'I seek Refuge with Allah from Satan.'

Take a deeep breath and calm down Blum 3

Do wudhu.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

laughter probably helps.

What I dont get is "aggressive humour", where people have a go at others etc as a laugh.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
laughter probably helps.
You have to be able to think straight before you can laugh it off

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

well we shouldnt be angry anyway lol i know thats hard to do since the last time i was angry i dealt with it the worse way and feel bad to this day
but also i heard you shouldnt get angr if someone daoes something annoying calmly speak to them about it and make hem understand in a nice way dude lol
this has probably got to be the best and nicest yet (in my opinion) the most unworking thing to do....if your wife gets you angry calm yourself down and talk to her and tell her not to do it and why and if she continues and continues to a point where you cant take it dont lay your hands on her but get something as light as a strip of tissue and hit her with that once though people and your fist shouldnt be behind that tissue lol
its sweet though Smile
never get angry with your parents dont even tut at them no matter how annoying they may be at times
with your brothers and sisters try continuing the same rule and try to be the better person and go away or talk to them gently
insh'allah allah gives us all the stregth to better ourselves at hard times and makes us all better muslims Smile

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

if you can get me some chocolate that would be great.

Adding to the above post:

“Do not be of those who do (by others) as the others do (by them), and say that we will do them a favor if they do us a favor, and if they will be mean and unjust to us then we, too, will be mean and unjust to them. On the contrary, resolve that you will do good if the others do good, and if they do a wrong and act unjustly, even then you will not be unfair to them.” (Tirmidhi 268/28)

you can tell yourself not to be angry about something, but once the emotion has been taken out of its box it is very hard putting it back in again, i find that personally. That is why i get more annoyed about the fact that someone has done something to 'earn' my anger in the first place! anger is a very tiring emotion..takes it out of you and the only thing that helps against it is time

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

“Do not be of those who do (by others) as the others do (by them), and say that we will do them a favor if they do us a favor, and if they will be mean and unjust to us then we, too, will be mean and unjust to them. On the contrary, resolve that you will do good if the others do good, and if they do a wrong and act unjustly, even then you will not be unfair to them.” (Tirmidhi 268/28)

woah we make a good team Biggrin

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

mush91 wrote:

woah we make a good team Biggrin

Biggrin

Salaam

I used to have problems controling my anger. What finally helped me was coming to realise that the guilt afterwards wasn't worth the satisfaction of getting my own back. Just keep telling yourself that actions have consequences. Remember that once you hit someone, you have to live with them being emotionally hurt and afraid of you.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

but what if in your judgement the guilt is totally worth the satisfaction?

(that is about revenge rather than anger)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Dawud wrote:
Salaam

I used to have problems controling my anger. What finally helped me was coming to realise that the guilt afterwards wasn't worth the satisfaction of getting my own back. Just keep telling yourself that actions have consequences. Remember that once you hit someone, you have to live with them being emotionally hurt and afraid of you.

Do you mean 'hit' metaphorically or physically? Made me feel the need to edit the post!

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Truth's_Razors wrote:

Do you mean 'hit' metaphorically or physically? Made me feel the need to edit the post!

I meant hit literally. But I speaking generally about expressing your anger through verbal or physical means. Getting up in someone's face can be just as damaging if the person respects you and has a dependancy upon you - it transforms your relationship to a fear based one. Obvious ones: parent/child or younger sibling or a friend with low self-esteem etc.

Some of the final words from the Messenger of Allah SAW were "fear Allah regarding those you have power over."

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Showing anger is not always bad.

For me, before I get angry, I generally ask myself "should I get angry?"

then again, I have not had anything to get angry over for a long time really.

You wrote:

really? you're head actually has time to stop and think that? lucky you - you can easily control your anger then!

You wrote:

really? you're head actually has time to stop and think that? lucky you - you can easily control your anger then!

thats funny i would never think that and didnt think anyone would lol thats a good thing though
me on the other hand wont think unless im arguing and want to catch someone out Blum 3

yeah, anger is tiring, (cant remember who mentionned that) for me, its so tiring that its not worth it. (sometimes)

everyone say MAshallah at admin before he becomes an angry wreck.

we have to remember that we get angry because we care about the thing/person. hence i think anger management is BEFORE the anger kicks in. its about setting your priorities right.

i want my siblings to become good muslims human beings. hence why i go ballistic when they do something wrong.

hamdoulillah recently, i feel myself going crazy and shouting and i just shut up and say a'udhu billahi minash shaytaanir-rajeem and move on. usually that happens when im going to go into a long sentence while screaming.

also horrible scratchy throat after so much shouting annoys me.

@Truth: obviously, your laptop was important to you (rightly-ish) so you got angry, and i wouldnt call this angry, you had to tell him off. coz he did something wrong. and then you walked out! mashallah! what else could you have done? we are humans. and yes, maybe the utmost is to sit there and be completely calm, i have faith in you, if you wanted to, im sure you could attain this level of calmness inshallah.

is it just me for whom disappointment kicks in before Anger?

let us remember, Anger is from Shaytaan and we dont want to have nowt to do with him do we?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

let us remember, Anger is from Shaytaan and we dont want to have nowt to do with him do we?

double negative Blum 3

well, Satan is doubly evil. so, more the negatives, the better.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

{sigh} you seem to need a grammar lesson

malik wrote:
well, Satan is doubly evil. so, more the negatives, the better.

i have to agree with this one

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

-_-

Double negative cancels to make a positive. So you were more positive about satan's work than negative Blum 3

Reactions in anger are sometimes unavoidable, there just natural depeding on the individual. This happens to me sometimes aswel where get so annoyed and slam the door shut and then 5 mins later i go and apologize. For me it was more about learning from the consequences after i once seriously shouted at someone close to me and still regret it to this day. I agree with admin, laughter really helps, walk out of the room and consider consequences of how you may have reacted if u were still in that room.

or instead of shouting and slapping someone, just pick up some flour and throw in that persons face or sprinkle it over their hair haha, done that once and thought it better than shouting in full rage lol dont regret it as much.

-_-

Double negative cancels to make a positive. So you were more positive about satan's work than negative Blum 3

haha lol ok then smarty pants stop trying to make everyone look evil Blum 3

I wouldn't have explained if their comeback wasn't lame! Blum 3

I wouldn't have explained if their comeback wasn't lame! Blum 3

that wasnt explaining it was evil

How evil?

How evil?

evil but not evil enough like me >:D

I don't like anger Sad :x

Some times I can control it very easily.

But other times I really can't stop and think - it just happens and then a few mins later I actually think. And it can be the smallest thing that sets me off. Sad

I don't know why/how I can't think before acting in other cases at certain times :/

mush91 wrote:

evil but not evil enough like me >:D

Sorry to burst your bubble but you aint evil! Smile Blum 3

I don't like anger Sad :x

Some times I can control it very easily.

But other times I really can't stop and think - it just happens and then a few mins later I actually think. And it can be the smallest thing that sets me off. Sad

I don't know why/how I can't think before acting in other cases at certain times :/

lool bless you
i know exactly how you feel
im like that myself and before i never hardly useto get angry and then now im ok but sometimes the littlest things can get to me sooooo badly and other times im completely fine
but someone who is able to control their anger is able to control power over shaytan
by the way people before anyone screws its just how i see it

AND BTW IM SOOOOOO TOTALLY EVIL! >:)

I'm glad you understand Smile Blum 3 and yeah you're totally right - I think it shows you can control shaytan's power over you too.

name one evil thing you've done!

Pages