Why does society see Muslim women oppressed?

Hey guys i have to do a presentation on topic above and can you guys help me out please? Smile
I will be covering the topics on:
Why Muslim women cover
difference between culture and religion
And Muslim females Rights.

I have done ground research i thought i would ask you guys to see if ive missed anything Smile
Thanks

So what kind of research have you got so far?

I have this Turkish Muslim friend, a mother of three that thinks Muslim women are oppressed and Islam does this. I asked why, she said:

'because they have to wear all that covering and hide their hair, whats wrong with showing your hair?'

So if Muslim people think this about their own religion, of course without doubt we will have many other people thinking this also. But I would think the main issue would be due to lack of knowledge. They don't understand the beauty of Islam. The reason we have more women converting to Islam is because they can see that this Deen provides us women with so much bounties, safety and support than any other religion.

I've heard that Burka or jilbab is a culutural thing not religious, so I'm not too sure about that...I guess you could wear a long skirt and blouse and that would cover you enough like a jilbab...

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

Thanks sister,im covering topics such as covering and forced marriages and how people fail to see the differences between culture and religion. Yes i have heard the Burka is a cultural thing as the main thing is to cover your bodyand not see the shape thats why some Asian countries like Malaysia you will see sisters wearing baggy trousers and shirts which i think takes courage! Blum 3 I prefer Burka as you can wear anything underneath it.

Today i got asked by a Muslim girl why do girls have to be protected all the time if males and females were created equally. Why do females have to have Mihrams with them all the time when travelling to another city? And does this still apply today as things have changed from the past?

What would you say? Smile

Cos they often are oppressed.

Though other women are oppressed too it's mostly just Muslims who quite easily try to legitimise it with scripture etc.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Today i got asked by a Muslim girl why do girls have to be protected all the time if males and females were created equally. Why do females have to have Mihrams with them all the time when travelling to another city? And does this still apply today as things have changed from the past?

Men and women are created equally but theyre also different. If they were 'fully' equal there would be no differences between them would there,hence no need for two different genders. However Allah swt has created us equally in the sense that we are both liable for our own actions, we will both (genders) be judged on Qiyaamat, both genders have right to education etc ... However women are more vulnerable and delicate then men are which is why a mehram is required, its for the womens own protection and safety, something we should be grateful for Allhumdulilah and during the Prophet's time women were treated practically like dogs and didn't hold any rights until the Noor of Islam came and spread worldwide.
Although in this society we women hold a different position in society now (most countries anyway) hence as far as I am aware it does not ALWAYS apply to this day and age. However, I dont have too much detail into this section but I can find out for you.

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

YasminCullen wrote:

Why do females have to have Mihrams with them all the time when travelling to another city?

Really?

s.b.f wrote:
YasminCullen wrote:

Why do females have to have Mihrams with them all the time when travelling to another city?

Really?

OH-OH! Sullys been naughty :badgrin:

Nah, they have to have a mihram with them if they travel more than a certain distance.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
YasminCullen wrote:

Really?

Nah, they have to have a mihram with them if they travel more than a certain distance.

which is?

Bijou wrote:

Men and women are created equally but theyre also different. If they were 'fully' equal there would be no differences between them would there,hence no need for two different genders. However Allah swt has created us equally in the sense that we are both liable for our own actions, we will both (genders) be judged on Qiyaamat, both genders have right to education etc ... However women are more vulnerable and delicate then men are which is why a mehram is required, its for the womens own protection and safety, something we should be grateful for Allhumdulilah and during the Prophet's time women were treated practically like dogs and didn't hold any rights until the Noor of Islam came and spread worldwide.
Although in this society we women hold a different position in society now (most countries anyway) hence as far as I am aware it does not ALWAYS apply to this day and age. However, I dont have too much detail into this section but I can find out for you.

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair
Both genders are treated equally but it may not necessarily seem fair?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair

I used to think like that also...does it feel unfair on the women?

I actually think otherwise now tbh. We get to stay at home and pray in our own domain whilst the men have to go out in the cold for salah, women can pray jummah at home whilst for men its compulsory to go masjid.Men have to provide food and shelter whilst women are not obliged. Women get benefits for cooking and looking after the husband, women gets benefit for even breast feeding her own child SubhanAllah!!

So tell me whats not fair again? hehe Blum 3

Bijou wrote:

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair

I actually think otherwise now tbh. We get to stay at home and pray in our own domain whilst the men have to go out in the cold for salah, women can pray jummah at home whilst for men its compulsory to go masjid.Men have to provide food and shelter whilst women are not obliged. Women get benefits for cooking and looking after the husband, women gets benefit for even breast feeding her own child SubhanAllah!!

Depends on the situation not just "its unfair for women -full stop-" and from your examples it can be argued it's unfair for the men!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Bijou wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
YasminCullen wrote:

Really?

which is?

Depends on the situation... between unlimited which probably applies to the UK, to three days and three nights worth in less safe locations.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Bijou wrote:

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair

Depends on the situation not just "its unfair for women -full stop-" and from your examples it can be argued it's unfair for the men!

hmmm ok. In my opinion I don't see it as unfair to either men or women. There is no unfairness in Islam.

You wrote:
Bijou wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
YasminCullen wrote:

Really?

which is?

Depends on the situation... between unlimited which probably applies to the UK, to three days and three nights worth in less safe locations.

I see. I'll find out from my side also.

religion is based on faith and beliefs where as culture is something that you been raised around
society sees woman in islam as opressed because it is hard for them to see in islam woman are seen as the most precious of jewels and should not be seen by other people and ruin their beauty.
also they find it difficult to see the reason in which women are seen covered and why muslim women do not disgrace themselves like they're woman.
thats all i can think of Blum 3

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

if you can get me some chocolate that would be great.

i is not oppressed.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Bijou wrote:
Bijou wrote:

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair

hmmm ok. In my opinion I don't see it as unfair to either men or women. There is no unfairness in Islam.

'Seem' and 'it can be argued' were the key words in my posts Blum 3 (although the latter phrase may not be a great choice of words?)

I would have said the same thing as you....I always find that people don't have a problem so much with women covering themselves up or theyre hair( cos people cover their hair all the time) its just the idea behind the covering up, i.e. religion!

i got this txt, which i really thought was great...

A shaykh sits next to a general on a flight. the general asks the shaykh: what is ur occupation?
shaykhL im into big bussiness
general: but what business exactly?
shaykh: i deal with allah (swt)
general: so ur a religious muslim leader? I have one problem with u muslims, u oppress women.
shaykhL how do we oppess women?
general: you make women cover up completely and make them generally stay at home
shaykh: ah, i have a problem with you people, u oppress money.
general: what?! how can u oppress money?
shaykh: u keep ur money hidden away in banks and safes. u keep it covered up, why dont u display it in public if it's a beautiful thing?
general: it will get stolen obviously
shaykh: so u keep ur money hidden away because its valuable. we value the worth of women far, far more. therefore these precious jewels arent on display for everyone to see. theyre best kept in hounour and dignity!

soz, a bit log i know! but i thought it was too good to keep to myself. hope u enjoyed it as much as i did!

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

Bijou wrote:
Bijou wrote:

I always think of it as:
Equal does not = Fair

'Seem' and 'it can be argued' were the key words in my posts Blum 3 (although the latter phrase may not be a great choice of words?)

Which latter phrase and words you talking about? Also, I don't believe 'it can be argued' that Islam is unfair because if there is no unfairness wheres the argument in the first place? :? If anyone does want to put up an argument about it then it will be thrown back into their faces.

However I do understand where you are coming from because the layman may not have much knowledge hence there is this misunderstanding about unfairness. I guess it can 'seem' unfair for the outsiders, but again I would say lack of knowledge here.

Latter phrase = "it can be argued"

Bijou wrote:
but again I would say lack of knowledge here.

Yes, it all comes down to knowledge anyway, as it has been said before.

bilan wrote:
I would have said the same thing as you....I always find that people don't have a problem so much with women covering themselves up or theyre hair( cos people cover their hair all the time) its just the idea behind the covering up, i.e. religion!

A shaykh sits next to a general on a flight. the general asks the shaykh: what is ur occupation?
general: so ur a religious muslim leader? I have one problem with u muslims, u oppress women.
general: you make women cover up completely and make them generally stay at home
shaykh: u keep ur money hidden away in banks and safes. u keep it covered up, why dont u display it in public if it's a beautiful thing?
shaykh: so u keep ur money hidden away because its valuable. we value the worth of women far, far more. therefore these precious jewels arent on display for everyone to see. theyre best kept in hounour and dignity!

soz, a bit log i know! but i thought it was too good to keep to myself. hope u enjoyed it as much as i did!

I saw your story and told my non-muslim friend and then she was like 'oh good story, but why do we have to be kept in homes?? we arent pets!' See what im dealing with?
And yes like someone said earlier people dont generally have a problem with covering more about where the idea comes from.
One of the boys in my class asked me 'So um if girls are going to cover up how are they going to get guys to ask them out? and are you engaged by any chance? there doesnt seem to be a ring on your finger.All of the muslim girls i know got a arranged marriage!

I saw your story and told my non-muslim friend and then she was like 'oh good story, but why do we have to be kept in homes?? we arent pets!' See what im dealing with?
And yes like someone said earlier people dont generally have a problem with covering more about where the idea comes from.
One of the boys in my class asked me 'So um if girls are going to cover up how are they going to get guys to ask them out? and are you engaged by any chance? there doesnt seem to be a ring on your finger.All of the muslim girls i know got a arranged marriage![/quote]

But no muslim will tell you that a muslim woman has to be 'kept' in the house, never to emerge! but lets be honest...what person, man or woman just stays outside for the sake of it?? you finish whatever business you have and return home, right??

nd as for tht boy, that quite funny, though im sure frustrating. i just think its lack of understanding...

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

YasminCullen wrote:
bilan wrote:

One of the boys in my class asked me 'So um if girls are going to cover up how are they going to get guys to ask them out? and are you engaged by any chance? there doesnt seem to be a ring on your finger. All of the muslim girls i know got a arranged marriage!

Well you can just smile and say that Muslim girls don't have to be kept in the house 24/7. But they must be protected and looked out for and treated with respect, kidness and dignity; whereas some guys in the West (an some girls unfortunately) think it's OK or accpetable to objectify, abandon and disrepsect you. How many people refer to girls as "bitches" and how many actually challenge it?

Coming to "asking you out" or marriage a decent Muslim guy won't mind that you respect yourself and do Hijab, will he?
But really what and how you should reply comes down to your individual wisdom and judgement. Also your personality and attitude has a big influence; so always smile and be calm. It's sunnah! Smile

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi