Thought of the day

87 posts / 0 new
Last post

s.b.f wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
I don't think I want to be put right by you, if that is okay?

No problem but be consistent - if you don't want to be corrected by someone don't correct them - keep your opinion to yourself - otherwise people will accuse you of double standards!

Thanks for the advice.

Oh and where did I try and correct you btw? I don't think i bothered with you.

I posted your correction so you could see it.

Anonymous1 wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
I don't think I want to be put right by you, if that is okay?

No problem but be consistent - if you don't want to be corrected by someone don't correct them - keep your opinion to yourself - otherwise people will accuse you of double standards!

Thanks for the advice.

Oh and where did I try and correct you btw? I don't think i bothered with you.

I posted your correction so you could see it.

Awwwwww, How sweeet of you!

Anonymous1 wrote:
...You've ditched those characteristics that are problematic and added those bits missing and kept the overlap...

Do I rest my case?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Yes you can rest your case now we have established democracy, british national identity and hinduism are kufr and not Islamic and they need to be totally re-engineered if they were to be Islamic along with the labels.

So if someone has reengineered them, call them Islam! Don't call yourself British Muslim, call yourself Muslim - don't call yourself Hindu Muslim, call yourself Muslim...

What I have quoted you saying is exactly what you were using to throw slurs and calling people HinduMuslim.

Islam is our religion - there is no British Islam. As for people - they can be described in many ways and have many different identities that overlap.

I don't expecially like the term British Muslim and when I wake up I don't think "I am british" and when I act throughout the day, that thought is rarely on my mind.

However if I was abroad in a foriegn country, the fact that I am british would be a differentiator, something to recognise.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Anonymous1 wrote:

Allah revealed to the Prophet(saw) his way of life, directly via Quran and via Sunnah.
- Whatever the Prophet(saw) did or approved was the new way of life.
- Whatever Allah revealed was the new way of life, whether obligation/prohibition/recommendation/disrecommendation etc
- At the end of 23 years we have a complete way of life that can answer all answers to all issues - labelled Islam.
- It is a unique system that contains a creed, rituals and worships, morality, sociopolitical transactions, culture and institutions

The characteristics of the Meccan system had:
- some characteristics overlapping with Islam (marriage, rituals, morals, treaties etc) and
- many that did not (infanticide, idolatry, tribal warfare, concentration of wealth, plural leadership, sociopolitical bonds of tribalism etc)
These characteristics defined the Meccan system.

The difference in the permutation of key characteristics distinguishes the two systems - Islam and the Meccan system.

However one can reconcile the two systems applying your logic and say the Meccan system is Islamic by:
- Maintaining similarities of marriage, morals, rituals, trade etc
- Dumping differences and contradictions
- Adding the innovations of Islam (eg azan, jummah, eid, zakat, kharaj, jizya etc)
- Concluding that we can accept the Meccan system and it is the same as Islam

The process simply recreates Islam out of the old system! You've ditched those characteristics that are problematic and added those bits missing and kept the overlap - so the resulting system is called Islam - it is no longer the Meccan system.

Doing the same with democracy:
- Similarities include some rights, administration systems, accountability etc
- Differences include popular sovereignty, majority legislation, plurality in leadership, transfer of seovereignty to representatives etc
- These characteristics define the democratic system.
you simply ignore the differences, legislate according to Quran and Sunnah and state Allah is sovereign and introduce zakat etc and we have a system compatible with Islam - you don't! You have Islam and not democracy. Why claim the result is democracy??? It is not! You don't really agree with democracy - it is a system that is different to the system of Islam.

Likewise, national identities are identities constructed to bind society together by identifying commonalities across all peoples who live together - British national identity contains:
- a homeland being the british isles
- a history or collective memories being that of its kings and queens, enlightenment, victorian period and modernity with figures like Chaucer, Shakespeare, Henry VIII, Churchill, Chaplin, Newton, Einstein, Beckham etc
- culture being the pub, skirts, bowler hats, union jack, english, egg and bacon, christmas, bank holidays, easter etc
- political authority being with parliament, laws being man made, courts enforcing man made laws, troops fighting for queen and country, loyalty to the country and its laws etc

It is very difficult to do a similarity/difference analysis - as the differences are so major...

I have yet to meet a Muslim who accepts that this is his social identity. Ask him what his nationality is - British as he has a passport (no probs!) or ask him where he's born - Britain (no probs!) - but his identity is not British.

Let's compare this with the Islamic socio-political identity:
- homeland - dar al-Islam (that used to stretch from Andalus to China - divided by the colonialists!)
- history being that of Adam(as) to the Prophet(saw), Khulafah Rashida, Ummawiyyah Khilafah, Abassiyya Khilafah, Uthmani Khilafah with figures like Umar(ra), Abu Hanifa, Bukhari, Ghazali, Salahadin, Tariq bin Ziyad, Suleiman etc
- culture being halal/haram food, hijab/jilbab, white flag with shahadah in black, arabic language, the mosque, Eid, Ramadhan etc
- political authority being sovereignty with Allah, authority with people, unitary leadership with one Caliph, shariah laws, qadi based judiciary enforcing sharia, troops fighting jihad for Allah's sake, one ummah, loyalty to Allah etc
- beliefs - Allah, day of judgement, angels, heaven/hell etc

The two identities are different - Islam orders us to bond together as a community according to the Islamic creed and not according to foreign man made identities - to say one adopts the British identity as there are some areas of overlap (eg fish and chips being halal) is absurd! Our identity is Islam as is our way of life.

No amount of mental gymnastics will make the british identity Islamic - and if you do chop and change it, it becomes changed to such a degree that it is no longer the British identity - but an Islamic identity that you are dealing with!

Finally i understand your point of view!
whenever i think about British culture in particular, i don't think it is the same as my culture so i don wonder how that makes me fit in and be "British". I think you are right British nationality is different to like "being" British. However i think u used the word identity for that, but i still think i have a British identity but things like the difference in culture mean im not totally British,if u get what i mean?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

You wrote:
What I have quoted you saying is exactly what you were using to throw slurs and calling people HinduMuslim.

If one can modify the definition of British so it has the same content of Islam, one can do the same for Hinduism and Devil Worshippers etc

Thus they should have no problems and it is not a slur for them calling themselves HinduMuslims or DevilWorshippingMuslims etc

You wrote:
Islam is our religion - there is no British Islam. As for people - they can be described in many ways and have many different identities that overlap.

British Islam is the version which apparently moderates follow - it excludes all the nasty bits like Caliphate, Jihad, Homosexuality being a sin, opposition to Israel etc

You wrote:
I don't expecially like the term British Muslim and when I wake up I don't think "I am british" and when I act throughout the day, that thought is rarely on my mind.

Being Male is part of your identity, as is your name - you don't particularly think them every minute of the day - however they are part of you and there is no denying that.
The question is, do we fit into the above definition of being British or do we fit into the definition of Muslim - both identities cover the same set of concepts with different answers...

You wrote:
However if I was abroad in a foriegn country, the fact that I am british would be a differentiator, something to recognise.

Unless you mean "I am from Britain" or "I was born in Britain" and mean by it that your identity is British, then in my view that is a kufr identity - I would state my identity to be Islam and I am a Muslim with all that it entails - history, culture, authority, beliefs and homeland.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

Finally i understand your point of view!
whenever i think about British culture in particular, i don't think it is the same as my culture so i don wonder how that makes me fit in and be "British". I think you are right British nationality is different to like "being" British. However i think u used the word identity for that, but i still think i have a British identity but things like the difference in culture mean im not totally British,if u get what i mean?

I had said nationality is a different concept to identity - you are given nationality according to where you are born by governments, reflected in passports etc so it is no problem. You can have a pakistani or british nationality but cannot have an Islamic nationality as there is no Islamic state.

Regarding identity, that is described above - it comprises a set of concepts relating to homeland, culture, political authority/laws and history - Islam addresses all of these categories with its own views as do most nation states - thus ones identity as a Muslim comes into conflict with alternative answers to these categories, eg do we believe in supremacy and have supreme loyalty to national laws or the laws of God? Do we think the British history is our history or the history of Islam? Do we think only the British Isles are our homeland or dar al-Islam? etc

I probably should not continue this discussion as it is circular, but I am a sucker in trying to get the last word in.

Anonymous1 wrote:
British Islam is the version which apparently moderates follow - it excludes all the nasty bits like Caliphate, Jihad, Homosexuality being a sin, opposition to Israel etc
  1. It is not very long that the Brits were against homosexuality and its liberisation now is still not universal. Go to a working class background place, go to factories, warehouses and here the discussions there.
  2. It is also not very long since the British government was supporting muslims going abroad to places like Bosnia to fight. This only changed when the guns got turned on the UK.
  3. Muslims do not accept that homosexuality is not a sin and that is not something that is negotiable. At the same time this non negotiable position does not make someone not be British.
  4. Opposition to Israel is on moral grounds and that can be and is shared by many Non Muslim Britons too.

So I totally disagree with your list and that is not the British identity.

Thus they should have no problems and it is not a slur for them calling themselves HinduMuslims or DevilWorshippingMuslims etc

Except that they are meant to be slurs. Unlike 'Ed, I don't give a crap what I am called, but for you to pretend that the slurs do not have double meanings is disingenuous at best.

This disingenuous nature of the post(s) seems to me to go further than that - you choose different criteria to call people moderates (thinking voting is halaal) and then use a totally different definition (think homosexuality is not sinful) - one that is not acceptable - to show how the moderates are compromising faith. This makes it a false comparison that is only suitable for scoring points.

Islam is a moderate religion and the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) asked for us to be moderate. Do not confuse that with not thinking that homosexuality (or any other form of sexual relations outside of marriage) is a sin. When you knock the word moderate, you are knocking far more than you realise.

Islam addresses all of these categories with its own views as do most nation states

and in situations where Islam does not make a specific view, it co-opts the underlying view of what is already part of the identity. Its not an either or. It is about removing what is haraam and replacing it with what is halaal.

You wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

Muslims do not accept that homosexuality is not a sin and that is not something that is negotiable. At the same time this non negotiable position does not make someone not be British.

Which is what the British govt underestimated! Thus its having to do a u-turn and re-tinker with its British Islam to come up with v.2 that the "moderates" will embrace and if sufficient pressure is applied, will be able to do "new ijtihads" to make acceptable. No amount of DIY ijtihads will make the Muslim masses believe homosexuality is halal - thus even the moderates cannot do what the govt would have liked them to do. But given it's not a major sticking point for govt, they can always compromise on that point. However with ideas like Caliphate that challenge their and the US's hegemony in the Muslim world, moderates have already dumped the traditional and classical understanding of pretty much all the classical jurists! Disgraceful!

You wrote:
Opposition to Israel is on moral grounds and that can be and is shared by many Non Muslim Britons too.

They don't have a problem in relation to Israel and opposition to it on moral grounds and sending sticky plasters - they do have a problem against those who argue the govt is illegitimate and needs replacing militarily, ie the Islamic hukm of jihad! Moderates are already compromising on this and attacking those who call for a military solution via jihad - look at the posts on this site for example.

You wrote:
So I totally disagree with your list and that is not the British identity.

I never said this was british identity - this is british islam and what the government has work in progress until it gets a version of islam to its liking. Those who go along with it will be its stooges...

You wrote:
Except that they are meant to be slurs. Unlike 'Ed, I don't give a crap what I am called, but for you to pretend that the slurs do not have double meanings is disingenuous at best.

You are entitled to believe of them what you like - but you bring the comparisons on yourselves as much as you may dislike them. If you want to re-engineer democracy and say it is halal then do the same with hinduism, communism and devil worship - what's the problem? Doesn't communism look after the poor? Aren't hindus pious and don't they worship one god? Don't devil worshippers have a religion?

You wrote:
This disingenuous nature of the post(s) seems to me to go further than that - you choose different criteria to call people moderates (thinking voting is halaal) and then use a totally different definition (think homosexuality is not sinful) - one that is not acceptable - to show how the moderates are compromising faith. This makes it a false comparison that is only suitable for scoring points.

Maybe you can cite what different criteria I have used - modernists think voting is halal and modernists reconcile democracy with Islam - the term moderates and extremists are loaded political terms which are used by the govt and modernists as well as secularists are increasingly being encouraged to join the dark side (aka govt!)

You wrote:
Islam is a moderate religion and the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) asked for us to be moderate. Do not confuse that with not thinking that homosexuality (or any other form of sexual relations outside of marriage) is a sin. When you knock the word moderate, you are knocking far more than you realise.

Maybe you can cite the hadith where Islam is moderate - including the Arabic - I am most suspect of such claims.
Terms used by the prophet(saw) have changed over the centuries as anyone who studies Islam well knows - and contemporary terminology of moderates/extremists has not been used by the Prophet(Saw) - extremists are seen as the ones who do jihad - the Prophet(Saw) did jihad - is he and Islam extremist as well? Extremism is seen as cutting hands or stoning people to death or marrying girls below 10 or having many wives or puting tribes to death - done by the Prophet(saw).

You wrote:
and in situations where Islam does not make a specific view, it co-opts the underlying view of what is already part of the identity. Its not an either or. It is about removing what is haraam and replacing it with what is halaal.

I don't believe a case exists where Islam does not have a specific view - views are generated by addressing specific realitites with specific ahkaam or addressing realitites through general texts and evidences - as the verses say, "We have ommitted nothing from the book" it comes down to one's understanding of the revelation to make such assertions.
Even if I was to accept your premise, I would address the new realities according to the direction provided by the Islamic creed, by ensuring every assertion is derived from the creed, and not by importing foreign ideologies lock stock into Islam.
Modernists appear to be dumping their Islamic heritage, jurisprudence and values by their bedazzlement of all things western and an inability to think beyond them. (In business companies who do that tend to be labelled "copycat" and never innovate or lead markets - they tend to be the products on discount regularly at supermarkets!) Despite people pointing out the flaws, intellectual and practical, of western systems and the oppression and tyranny they produce.

Anonymous1 wrote:
I don't believe a case exists where Islam does not have a specific view - views are generated by addressing specific realitites with specific ahkaam or addressing realitites through general texts and evidences.

Road tax - how much should it be?
What about Public transport - should there be such a thing and if so, how well funded?
What about health? Schools - should people have to pay for them individually or should they be provided by the state?
General health and safety - does it need legislation and if so, to what degree?

You wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
I don't believe a case exists where Islam does not have a specific view - views are generated by addressing specific realitites with specific ahkaam or addressing realitites through general texts and evidences.

Road tax - how much should it be?
What about Public transport - should there be such a thing and if so, how well funded?
What about health? Schools - should people have to pay for them individually or should they be provided by the state?
General health and safety - does it need legislation and if so, to what degree?

Road tax - haram - the taxes are legislated by Allah and implemented by the Prophet(saw) such as zakat, kharaj, ushr, jizya etc Taxes cannot be arbitrarily imposed as this amounts to zulm.
Education is a mandatory role of the state as evidenced by the Prophet(saw) sending companions to teach new regions Islam. State funded provision can run in parallel with private provision.
Health and safety is obligatory as evidenced by the Prophet(saw) checking commodities of traders and sales tactics including watering down goods. Umar even appointed market inspectors.
Transport without hinderance is a right of the people as evidenced by penal laws prohibiting highway robbery and protection of trade routes at the time of the Prophet(saw) and the Khulafah Rashidah. Whether this is provided by the private sector or state participates, this decision is left to the discretion of the Caliph.
Welfare is mandatory on the state (health, benefits etc) as there is a general obligation to remove harm in the traditions of the Prophet(saw).

So you don't pay your road tax?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Anonymous1 wrote:
Road tax - haram - the taxes are legislated by Allah and implemented by the Prophet(saw) such as zakat, kharaj, ushr, jizya etc Taxes cannot be arbitrarily imposed as this amounts to zulm.
Education is a mandatory role of the state as evidenced by the Prophet(saw) sending companions to teach new regions Islam. State funded provision can run in parallel with private provision.
Health and safety is obligatory as evidenced by the Prophet(saw) checking commodities of traders and sales tactics including watering down goods. Umar even appointed market inspectors.
Transport without hinderance is a right of the people as evidenced by penal laws prohibiting highway robbery and protection of trade routes at the time of the Prophet(saw) and the Khulafah Rashidah. Whether this is provided by the private sector or state participates, this decision is left to the discretion of the Caliph.
Welfare is mandatory on the state (health, benefits etc) as there is a general obligation to remove harm in the traditions of the Prophet(saw).

I have bolded out the contradictions in your post.

Other statements you have made are also unfunded. "welfare is mandatory" but will it all be out of zakaah? if not, where does the money come from? Same for education, were does the money for the state funded provision come from? Same with policing, where does the money come from? you mention what is allowed but then don't fund it.

If taxes are haraam, where does the money come from?

thought of the day:

Thank you Lord for the hot water we take for granted when they are people who don't even have running water, please help me stop wasting it.

(after the pressure of the boiler went down and me and dad had no idea how to fix it, making wudu with cold water at 3am is quite awakening..)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

You wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

Interesting how you have moved away from your original point which appeared to be that lots of things in Islam are not legislated!

You wrote:
I have bolded out the contradictions in your post.

Maybe you can explain why they are contradictions - you might not know the meaning of the term but it refers to directly conflicting ideas which you have not highlighted!

You wrote:
Other statements you have made are also unfunded. "welfare is mandatory" but will it all be out of zakaah? if not, where does the money come from? Same for education, were does the money for the state funded provision come from? Same with policing, where does the money come from? you mention what is allowed but then don't fund it.

Zakat, Kharaj, Ushr, Jizya, al-Anfal, Fai, Natural Resources, Penalties/Fines, Illicit Funds etc

You wrote:
If taxes are haraam, where does the money come from?

Taxes are not haram - arbitrary taxes are haram - read my post above a little more carefully!

Thought of the day:

"The value of silence"

We do we always feel the need to fill the silences with pointless natter. I personally dont find them awkward to want to break the silence.

Sometimes people just need to shut up and sit still for a while in silence.

Sephy wrote:
Thought of the day:

"The value of silence"

aaww Biggrin Blum 3

Thought for the day...

....so the judge who overturned Obama's ban on oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico has a lot of money tied up in the oil industry. Nope, nothing bent there at all...

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Thought of the day - let them use their own oil.

this topic should not be on page 21 of tracker.

Lilly wrote:

why were YOU on page 21 of tracker? loser. Blum 3

Lilly wrote:

I remember you bringing back topics way down the line.......

s.b.f wrote:
Lilly wrote:

losers 'R us, don't you know?

s.b.f wrote:
Lilly wrote:

losers 'R us, don't you know?

Thats why we all love Feef Pardon

well...page 1 was guetting WAY boring, i was looking for some "new" so...PAGE TWENTY ONE!

Lilly wrote:

Thats why we all love Feef Pardon

Lol Biggrin <3

Pages