The Mention of Sex in Front of Asians

Living in the 21st century in England not many people are embarrased by the mention of sex but some Asians are. Espcially older generations and im just thinking should it really be such of a taboo? (not sure if thats the right word but lets go with it Smile )

So yesterday i had to watch* "Noor T.V" cuz of my parents and in an ad break there was an advert informing people of Hepatitis C, the symptopms and how it can be passed on through dirty needles and blood. There was no mention of the fact that its an STI! i found it a little funny how they managed to leave probably the most information out. Although i admit i would feel awkward if sex or anything related to it was mentioned whilst i sit there watching with my family but it is something important which everyone should know about and its quite silly to make such an advert and then miss out information like that, don't u think?

*Normally its torture but there was a hilarious comedy on, called "in se milye" Smile

It's worse than that - some religious literature is also neutered to remove the relevant information and if mosques teach about it, some will consider it scandalous.

(I can remember being taught from a book as a kid about fardh ghusl and when it was needed. Afterwards, the teacher turned to another adult and laughed something like "ofcourse there are other situations too..." without mentioning such stuff.)

All this prudishness is pretty set in the community and hard to counter.

It is also wrong because there should be no shame in religion and discussing religious matters.

Saying that, would I want to discuss such things infront of my mum? I'd rather die!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
It's worse than that - some religious literature is also neutered to remove the relevant information and if mosques teach about it, some will consider it scandalous.

(I can remember being taught from a book as a kid about fardh ghusl and when it was needed. Afterwards, the teacher turned to another adult and laughed something like "ofcourse there are other situations too..." without mentioning such stuff.)

:shock: thats just ridiculous! Fool

You wrote:
It is also wrong because there should be no shame in religion and discussing religious matters.

agreed.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Its the same with pregnancy. They wont discuss it... like its some big taboo.

:roll:

We're bound to find out sooner or later. And when you even mention the fact that you may already know, they go off the deep end lol. Parents... so fragile... take a lot of looking after.

yeah it's a huge taboo
having said that though
I would DIE if my mu m n I had a discussion about sex
its just the way desi people are
we are by nature quite conservative

and I would feel very uncomfortable watching a "rude" scene on tvwith my family
I cant even watch them with my friends even!

1R4M wrote:
yeah it's a huge taboo
having said that though

lol 'Quick! Change the channel!' then five of you dive for the control. And after changing the channel, you suddenly become more interested in the carpet, furniture or my fav 'omg this daal we're eating is GREAT! MMMMMmmmmmmhhh'

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
1R4M wrote:
yeah it's a huge taboo
having said that though

lol 'Quick! Change the channel!' then five of you dive for the control. And after changing the channel, you suddenly become more interested in the carpet, furniture or my fav 'omg this daal we're eating is GREAT! MMMMMmmmmmmhhh'

hahahahahahahaa

omg
once this scene came on tv
it wasnt that embarrassin but still
and my aunty gave me a death look n hissed "change the damn channel"
even tho SHE had the remote!
ah
the good ol' blame it on the youngster routine

Seraphim wrote:

and if im having trouble getting to the remote, i walk out the room! Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Sex is a private affair.

Why would you want to talk about it in a group?

We are supposed to be muslims. We have a bit of shame left in us.

Bagirots !!

There is no shame in religion.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

You are wrong YOU.

Islam is not a shameless religion.

In fact, shame and piety are one.

Take away one, the other goes too.

Prophet Mohammed is an honourable Messenger of God Almighty.

Muslim ladies are full of shame and decency.

They are not shameless women.

Whores are without shame.

Omrow wrote:
Sex is a private affair.

Why would you want to talk about it in a group?

We are supposed to be muslims. We have a bit of shame left in us.

Bagirots !!

Having hayaa and gaining knowledge can both be done.

LOL @ bagirots! u dont pronounce it like that do u?! :S

No.

No.

I cannot write sounds here. One is limited with letters.

Well, there is no gaff nor tay.

The original has powerful effects beyond measure.

corrected: gaff should be gain

Omrow wrote:

Well, there is no gaff nor tay.

The original has powerful effects beyond measure.

You have totally lost me Fool :S

i think it shouldve said behgarath Wink see it sounds much more like the word! Smile

anyway going off the subject :oops:

No.

Nothing to do with naughty.

Also,

Its exactly the heart of the subject.

Omrow wrote:
No.

Nothing to do with naughty.

Also,

Its exactly the heart of the subject.

:/ sometimes u should try and write less-like-yourself cuz im not clever enough to understand u :/

Omrow wrote:
You wrote:

You are wrong YOU.

Islam is not a shameless religion.

In fact, shame and piety are one.

Take away one, the other goes too.

Prophet Mohammed is an honourable Messenger of God Almighty.

Muslim ladies are full of shame and decency.

They are not shameless women.

Whores are without shame.

Blimey Omrow....

besides
women constantly used to ask the prophet pbuh questions about sexual matters

The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was as shy as a virgin behind a veil.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

but not when it cames to matters of religion. In such a case, shyness was discouraged.

It all depdends on context.

1R4M wrote:

besides women constantly used to ask the prophet pbuh questions about sexual matters

Actually im sure i read hadith which said, women asked Aisha(R.A) (and probably other wives too) who then asked the prophet(saw) and told them answer. So it wasnt directly asked.

However the point doesnt change cuz i wasnt saying u should go and talk about it in large groups/with the opposite sex or whatever i just think everyone should be educated about this stuff. Like how Mr You said about stuff being censored out of books etc is pathetic and wrong, everyone needs to be educated. Like i said earlier u dont need to lose ur hayaa to gain knowlegde.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

sometimes u should try and write less-like-yourself cuz im not clever enough to understand u

You are very clever. You words show it. They have mysterious power.

I can be confusing at first. Sorry. Its me.

Maybe its my straight forward, direct from the heart, style of expressing myself.

So, so are right.

Thanks.

I am always ready to explain, and answer any questions, especially
from good mannered people like you.

I just done like indecency and untruth.

Talking to other people about what you do in bed with
your wife, or your husband, is simply not right.

I mean, if you have sexual issues and bed problems that need sorting,
then go talk to a professional psychologist or a medical doctor.

Why talk about it to your mates !!!

God !!!

Its so disgraceful.

1R4M wrote:

women constantly used to ask the prophet pbuh questions about sexual matters

Someone told you that lie. And you repeat it without confirming.

Women never asked Prophet anything sexual.

Those who attribute lies on the Prophet, and those that repeat them, will be severely punished by God.

You need to properly repent IRAM.

Read an extra prayer at dawn begging the Prophet and God to forgive you.

Otherwise you will be in deep trouble.

Please, you are a muslim. Dont even think about such shameless things about the Prophet.

Dont you know who he is !!

I think Omrow may be meanign "Baaa" instead of "Bey". In urdu that makes a big difference - former means "with" and the latter "without".

So he may either have been saying with shame/with modesty or he might have been saying without shame/without modesty. Or something else entirely.

Me? I like English. It is easy to type and transliteration into English is not as confusing.

I think only a few people know.

But those who know, know that it means. Its nothing to do with shyness.

Its about......... temperature.

ok, no idea what it is then.

Omrow wrote:
ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

sometimes u should try and write less-like-yourself cuz im not clever enough to understand u

You are very clever. You words show it. They have mysterious power.

Yay! Smile

Omrow wrote:
I can be confusing at first.
You mean at times

Omrow wrote:
Talking to other people about what you do in bed with
your wife, or your husband, is simply not right.

I mean, if you have sexual issues and bed problems that need sorting,
then go talk to a professional psychologist or a medical doctor.

Why talk about it to your mates !!!

God !!!

Its so disgraceful.

I wasn't talking about getting treatment, i was talking about being informed.

There's a time and place for this stuff....and if anything, I think that we're not shy enough regarding this matter.

Yeah, for educational or personal reasons one can talk to teachers/scholars/parents/professionals, privately etc...but I dont see the need for it to be broadcasted anymore than it already is..

Its good that some people still consider it embarrassing or a taboo subject..

MuslimSister wrote:

Its good that some people still consider it embarrassing or a taboo subject..

Sure about that? Of course there are bad things in the extremes of too much or too little (about this and almost everything else), but i think there are big dangers in certain parts of our community which the 'bashfulness' is taken to just ridiculous lengths that it causes a lot of harm.

agreed - pushing things underground may mean extending them, mixing them with worse, having no way to help those that need it. Even push people away from Islam by presenting false choices.

Can I also say I was surprised when I found out "bashful" meant shy? from the word I would have expected it to mean a loud person.

You wrote:
Can I also say I was surprised when I found out "bashful" meant shy? from the word I would have expected it to mean a loud person.

did you never watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?

Pages