Muslims 'want sermons in English'

Assallamu Allaikum

[b]Muslims 'want sermons in English' [/b]

Many believe multiculturalism improves UK society
The majority of British Muslims believe clerics in the UK should be made to preach in the English language, a BBC survey suggests.
The Mori poll for the BBC found 65% of Muslims backed such a move, compared with 39% of the national population.

[b]THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS REQUIRED. EVERY FRIDAY KHUTBAH SHOULD BE IN ENGLISH SO THE MUSLIM YOUTH KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TH EIMAM IS ON ABOUT? THE DAYS OF URDU KHUTBAS SHOULD BE OVER...NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE SURE THE YOUTH KNOW THEIR DEEN. i've been banging on about this on the radio for past 6 years!!!! Biggrin [/b]

Share your views pls...

wasalaam

not that old chesnut again :roll:

OF COURSE khutbahs should be in english

but how can they when Mosque Imams are all from back home and cant speak English

this problem will only be solved when my generation become parents

until then we can only moan about the problem

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

i've been banging on about this on the radio for past 6 years!!!! Biggrin [/b]

and thats why you kick up a lot of controversy in oldham, especially on your radio show! whilst i agree there should be khutba's in english, you cant just get rid of Urdu ones. whos gona cater for the elders in our community? they fill half the mosques up anyway. and people should also learn thier mother tongue. how u gonna communicate with ur imported wife/husband! Blum 3

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

salaam
u dont get rid of urdu khutbas, u have half hour for urdu and half hour in english...
i only create controversy because ppl, especially certain imams, want to bury their heads in the sand and think everything is ok...
we are losing our youth because our imams cant speak the language of the youth...its sad...
wasalaam

Mr Ed did u know-according to the elders in our community

youth are becoming "too westernised" losing their roots

not being able to relate to their culture

Ive lost count of the amount of times we get told of for not speaking Urdu

in my house we all cringe when we have to speak to family from back home on the phone

mum and dad have said that when my generation becomes parents connection with our culture will be TOTALLY lost

being "pakistani" or bengali etc will be a thing of the past

at the mo-the only part of my Paki culture that I can relate to and like is the food and dress

and by encouraging Imams to speak english is gonna make the problem worse

if anything u should encourage english speaking youth such as me, my sister, cousins and mates to learn their languge

[b]THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS REQUIRED. EVERY FRIDAY KHUTBAH SHOULD BE IN ENGLISH SO THE MUSLIM YOUTH KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TH EIMAM IS ON ABOUT? THE DAYS OF URDU KHUTBAS SHOULD BE OVER...NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE SURE THE YOUTH KNOW THEIR DEEN. i've been banging on about this on the radio for past 6 years!!!! Biggrin [/b]

Share your views pls...

wasalaam

Yes! id agree khutbahs shuld b in english.

Well our khutbah used 2 b in pure urdu every friday but Alhamdullilah after a long complain by the youth during the "Milad Radio" our Imam has started using english too.

He says his khutbah in urdu 1st n then translates it in english, even though most Imams dnt no much english just like ours, i think they still shuld try as by trying they can slowly improve their english.

Jazak'Allah khair

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
and people should also learn thier mother tongue. how u gonna communicate with ur imported wife/husband! Blum 3

u made a good point

if we dont know our language-how we gonna communicate with people from back home?

the only reason why I dont know my language is cos I dont WANT to commicate with cultural people and people from back home

its my cultural barrier

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Mr Ed did u know-according to the elders in our community

youth are becoming "too westernised" losing their roots

not being able to relate to their culture

Ive lost count of the amount of times we get told of for not speaking Urdu

in my house we all cringe when we have to speak to family from back home on the phone

mum and dad have said that when my generation becomes parents connection with our culture will be TOTALLY lost

being "pakistani" or bengali etc will be a thing of the past

at the mo-the only part of my Paki culture that I can relate to and like is the food and dress

and by encouraging Imams to speak english is gonna make the problem worse

if anything u should encourage english speaking youth such as me, my sister, cousins and mates to learn their languge

salaam

yep ive heard all them excuses before

theres nothing wrong with speaking urdu/punjabi at home, to your parents, uncles, aunties...

i can understand parents concern that if the mother tongue is lost then connections between our older geneartions will become weaker.....nothing to do with being modernised...
but...

when it comes to imams, they have to speak in english so that they can communicate the message effectively to the youngsters, so they can relate to it, ponder on it, pay attention to it...so they actually learn about islamic teachings and issues....
..otherwise they will lose their islam which is more important than culture or language

most ppl just get bored, confused, lose interest, start chatting or start messing around when they listen to an urdu sermon... as a result they know jack about islam, dont live their lives according to islam...

wasalaam

We've recently had a new imam installed at our mosque.

He gives most of the Friday khutba in Urdu but always says something in English before he finishes.

He has offered to give short English talks after Zuhr Mon-Thur for the 'yoof'. But most yoof that turn up for Zuhr don't stick around for the talk. The imam has now ended up giving talks in Urdu after Zuhr to the 10/15 or so of the older generation who stick around.

Reform has to work both ways. It's no good just the imams changing their attitudes.

"irfghan" wrote:

Reform has to work both ways. It's no good just the imams changing their attitudes.

EXACTLY

so what do u say Fred-should we start taking Urdu lessons?

Salaam i believe that the khuthbas should be in both urdu and english, in our mosque we have a imaan from pakistan who speaks urdu and an imaan whos from here who translates afterthe imam who speaks in urdu so every1s happy.

salaam
[b]
From the MPAC site:[/b]
Masajid across the country are failing to confront the threat of extremism in young people and many do not believe it is their responsibility to do so, according to a poll.
A survey of 100 masajid by a Muslim lobby group MPACUK showed that no steps had been taken to challenge radical preaching to youths, and that none were planned.

Imams from some of Britain's biggest cities also told The Daily Telegraph that they were angry at Government suggestions that they should police their own communities.
The Muslim Public Affairs Committee UK (MPACUK), which carried out the poll as part of its campaign for greater engagement by young Muslims, said the results showed that masajid were failing their people.

Tony Blair claimed to have the support of community leaders after a meeting in response to the London bomb attacks. He said there was a "strong desire" from the Muslim community to go on to the streets and defeat "this evil ideology".

But of the 100 masajid contacted by MPACUK, none had changed their teaching syllabus or set up programmes to challenge extremism, the group said. Asked what they had done to help channel Muslim anger about British foreign policy away from extremism, a fifth said the Friday sermon was being used to condemn radical preaching and terrorist action.

An MPACUK.ORG poll found that masajid were failing their people
But Asghar Bukhari, 35, the head of MPACUK, said: "[A speech] is the most incompetent way that a masjid could challenge extremism. It is like a doctor telling a patient not to smoke - it won't cure the illness. The very institutions that could make the most difference are refusing to help. That is a disgrace.We the Muslim public suffer while they pretend to act."

The Muslim Council of Britain accepted that some masajid needed to work harder. Inayat Bunglawala, an MCB spokesman, said some masajid were proactive in reaching out to young people, but many had adopted a narrow approach. "They could play a real role in identifying people who are vulnerable to radical preaching."

Many imams reacted with scorn. Dr Musharraf Hussain, 47, who represents two masajid in Nottingham, said he did not intend to confront any evil ideology "head-on", as the Prime Minister suggested. "I have absolutely no plans whatsoever. If the Government wants us to become a secret service, or their stooges, they will have to pay us for it. The reason the youngsters are angry is because of Tony Blair's foreign policy, so I think it is very unfair to suggest that we should bear the whole responsibility for that."

Aurangzaib Khan, who works for the Pakistan Centre in Nottingham, which is also used for prayers, said: "The problem is being caused by the Government, so they should solve it rather than throwing it on to the community. They look for so-called leaders, but if anything happens in the white community they don't look for leaders. Are they going to pay people to be outreach workers?"

Dilwar Khan, director of the East London masjid, said: "It is not our responsibility to go and search these people out [extremists or their targets]." He said the masjid had preached against radicals for a long time. "As far as we are concerned we don't have to do anything more."

Mr Atta Choudhri, the chairman of Manchester Central Masjid, said: "How can we take responsibility for all the youngsters? We will try our best, but youngsters don't listen to anybody."

A Home Office spokesman said: "Muslim leaders recognise that it is not enough just to condemn the bombings but that they must also act with us to tackle extremism.

"The Government and leaders of all parties in turn recognise that it is our shared responsibility to work in partnership with the Muslim community to achieve this."

[b]I THINK MPAC ARE ON THE CASE OF THE MOSQUES, IMAMS AND COMITTEES.... AND WE NEED MORE ORGANISATIONS LIKE THEM.....[/b]

wasalaam

[b]I THINK MPAC ARE ON THE CASE OF THE MOSQUES, IMAMS AND COMITTEES.... AND WE NEED MORE ORGANISATIONS LIKE THEM.....[/b]

wasalaam

and they aint gonna get anywhere if they keep on cussing them like that

that aint gonna solve the problem

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

so what do u say Fred-should we start taking Urdu lessons?

Learning Urdu ofcourse has benefits. Urdu should be learnt regardless of issues of sermons, communicating with parents, imported wives (:lol:), or whatever.

There's too much English. Learning another language and reading literature of another language is no bad thing.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

and they aint gonna get anywhere if they keep on cussing them like that

that aint gonna solve the problem

Can you clarify for me what cussing MPAC do against mosque officials et al.

I know Urdu up to A* level as GCSE-Dads a good Urdu speaker-family from back home all speak Urdu but even that aint enough to help me function in society

"irfghan" wrote:

Can you clarify for me what cussing MPAC do against mosque officials et al.

comments such as "wake up" "stop sleeping" how Imams do NOTHING

how they need to stop teaching Arabic and start focusing on political lobbying

is ALL cussing to me

many articles in that MPAC website is dedicated to this issue

and if u ever speak to any MPAC members thats all they bang on about

kool, i sent off my subsriction form yesterday Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

comments such as "wake up" "stop sleeping" how Imams do NOTHING

how they need to stop teaching Arabic and start focusing on political lobbying

is ALL cussing to me

They're just using strong rhetoric. Something that hits home.

Would you prefer it if they said stuff like 'There is urgent need for re-engagement with the younger generation' or 'Places of worship must facilitate the encouragment of a democartic culture'? Too long, boring, puts people back to sleep.

"yashmaki" wrote:
For example reading their website it's quite clear their position is hijab is not a part of Islam, need I say more?

Can you provide a link to the webpage?

"irfghan" wrote:

Would you prefer it if they said stuff like 'There is urgent need for re-engagement with the younger generation' or 'Places of worship must facilitate the encouragment of a democartic culture'? Too long, boring, puts people back to sleep.

whenever my sister has an issue with MPAC she calls up my uncle and for ages goes round in circles saying "you guys are doing a great Job, I visit ur website daily etc etc and THEN tells them to calm it down a bit and not cuss the general publc so much"

its WRONG to go straight in for the kill

by cussing Imams the way they do wont suddenly make them want to change

u gotta be diplomatic

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
how u gonna communicate with ur imported wife/husband!

Its a good thing we have pictionary then... plenty of practice.

Being able to speak another language is a skill in iteself. Being able to read and speak urdu is a joy in itself. Theres plenty of good books that are written in urdu but bcoz the youth dont speak it they've just alienated themselves from it.

You may not want to speak to people from bak home, but what about the old geezer at the corner shop who barely speaks english? A simply 'Salaam, how u doin uncle?' in urdu wouldnt kill ya.

I dont knw what people hav got against urdu, it such a beautiful language.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
how u gonna communicate with ur imported wife/husband!

I dont knw what people hav got against urdu, it such a beautiful language.

Word.

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"yashmaki" wrote:

I am well accustomed with the MPAC web address.

Could you give a link to the webpage with the anti-hijab statement? Or at least quote it.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

its WRONG to go straight in for the kill

by cussing Imams the way they do wont suddenly make them want to change

u gotta be diplomatic

I'm sure that when they meet various imams in person they are curtious and polite.

I suspect that imams welcome MPAC's message and work with MPAC.

MPAC should not be seen to be attacking individuals per se, just those who stand in the way of reform.

"Seraph" wrote:

You may not want to speak to people from bak home, but what about the old geezer at the corner shop who barely speaks english? A simply 'Salaam, how u doin uncle?' in urdu wouldnt kill ya.

I'm sure nearly all of us can speak that much..

Its the posh Urdu lyrics used in Islamic speeches that goes over our heads.

Personally, I wish that more speeches in Islamic programmes are in English.

Mainly because most of the time young boys are tied down with work/school etc

It’s only during the holidays that young boys regularly show their face at Jummah.

Most of the time the Mosque is full of old guys…

I don't care what language they are in.

They are always boring.

Make them interesting. Talk about something that matters.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

They are always boring.

its easy to talk

if u think they're are so boring why dont u get up there and show them how its done

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

They are always boring.

its easy to talk

if u think they're are so boring why dont u get up there and show them how its done

I can speak urdu in whatever rubbish way i have picked up but what i wana do is learn how to read urdu (so many good books are in urdu which i miss out on) understandin urdu is no problem once you sit with ppl who speak it or listen to urdu lectures you pick it up..

i hate talkin to ppl bak home not cuz i aint famaliar with my language but cuz i dont have anythin to say other than "salam how are u, what u up2" allah hafiz..end of convo..

Pages