BBC Radio 4 Documentary: "The Deobandis"

The Deobandis are virtually unknown to most British people, yet their influence is huge. As the largest Islamic group in the UK, they control over 40% of mosques and have a near monopoly on Islamic seminaries, which propagate a back-to-basics, orthodox interpretation of Islam...

The first episode was aired on BBC Radio 4 on 5 April 2016, with episode 2 to air on 12 April 2016.

I havent listened to it yet, but someone who has said it was quite damaging to the Muslim community as a whole.

The guy trying to defend banning bonfire nights and the use of Christian Dior, because it has the word "Christian" in it was weird.

Sticking on an athiest in there was a bit weird, but there is a question had she been provided a more open community, would she have remained within the fold of Islam?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

so I went and listened to the thing on the net

and a few points came to mind

1. Purpose of programme?

2. Integration?

3. Daybandee interviewee

4. Atheist ex Daybandee

i just love the English pronunciation 

1. we can guess at the purpose, divide and conquer, stereotyping and targeting a certain sect, result more attacks on veiled women, more people joining this 'hidden' sect.

2. Integration, the Deobandi should have asked interviewer what he means by this? 

3. The Deobandi gentleman was not up to the mark

4. The atheist sounded like a very nice young lady perhaps participating in just the kind of integration the interviewer was hinting at

Topic locked