Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

More and more people and now, big personalities are boycotting Israel for various reasons. Why are they not getting the hint?

Because they have the biggest country at their fingertips.

May Allah guide MR Hawkings to Islam. Ameeeen. And ll those other people who sees the evilness of xionism, may Allah open th wui r hearts and eyes to the beauty of Islam.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

AFAIK there is a statement signed by him.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I feel like it's genuine to be honest. If it wasn't, why would the conference chairman say this: 'The academic boycott against Israel is in our view outrageous and improper, certainly for someone for whom the spirit of liberty lies at the basis of his human and academic mission'. He wouldn't say that just because he felt like it. 

Also Stephen Hawking has been insulted a lot since this has come out so I'd expect it to be cleared up if it wasn't true

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

The statement said it is *not* cuz he's ill afaik

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Titanium wrote:
You do realise that he is VERY ill, right? So trip could not have been cancelled because of his health? Maybe he doesn't want to make a big deal about it?

It all blew up when Oxford Uni suggested that was the reason, and then his letter was made public to deny that being the reason.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

One of the things differentiating his boycott of this conference in relation to his past visits to Israel and Palestine is that this event has a political nature as it is billed as the President's event.

Titanium wrote:
what I dont get is if that's truely the Reason or excuse that Hawking used, then why NOW? and why JUST academic boycott? why not announce it YEARS ago and go ALL the way and list everything like any other boycotter? 

any other boycotter? you a boycotter? with boycotting experiences?

what the heck is a boycotter anyway...

when it comes to Israel, you decide to NOT help their economy. thats the basic point, and you also choose to make a point, yeah, i wont drink coke because i dont like the fact they give moneys to Israel who use it to kill and make life difficult for innocent people"

you dont wake up one mornign and think "im going to boycott EVERYTHING related to Israel"

first you start with not going M&S - you didnt shop there much anyway

then you give up cocacola - its plenty unhealthy too.

then macdonals...then...johnson&johnson etc..etc...

boycott is a personal thing, no one knows how those brands, or more specifically those products impact you in YOUR daily life.

why do you want him to go announce it years ago? what that got to do with anything? what exactly do you want him to list like any other boycotter supposedly does?

we're consumer, so we dont consumer boycott. he's more influencial in the academic world. so an academic boycott, from someone like Mr Hawking is a big deal. just like movie stars boycott Israel primarily by not going to film festivals there etc.. may Allah guide them to Islam and bring us all closer to Allah.

for what exactly?

and will you not do us the honour of answering my few honest questions? i am quite intrigued by what you meant and thankfully not so stupid to not notice your sarcasm.

Looking To See wrote:

then macdonals...then...

lol. I have been boycotting McDonalds all my life and even though they have been opening franchises in Israel (like they do everywhere) I really don't see a valid boycott connection. I know, because I just Googled, that for four years (1998-2002) they had a pro-Israel CEO. Do boycott McDonalds for all I care, but you are intellectually lazy and unless Hawking, for his brilliance, wants to grow some kahunas and explain the conditions that justify the boycott, rather than referring to pressure from Palestinian academics, so is he. And he's smart enough to know that.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens