What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 3 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger root
What to do:
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over mediumhigh heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry gently, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
Pour in the tomatoes with their juice, cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes to let the excess liquid evaporate.
Add the butter, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and cilantro, and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the chicken pieces with sauce spooned over the top.