pork in school lunches

Quote:
[size=18]Parents' anger over school sausage rolls[/size]
Dec 12 2005

[b]Children served non-Halal food on lunchtime menu[/b]

Lauren Turner, South Wales Echo

Shocked parents are threatening to take their children out of school after a mix-up led to Muslim pupils being offered sausage rolls.

Parents with children at Mount Stuart Primary School, Butetown, Cardiff, were distraught as pork is forbidden for Muslims.

School governor Mohammed-Sarul Islam said: 'It is shocking. I don't understand how this has happened.'

One Muslim woman, who has a son and daughter at the school, said: 'Half the community is Muslim, so everyone has been affected by this.

[b]'A lot of people are panicking.'[/b]

Mr Islam, 33, of Grangetown, who has three children there, aged four, eight and 11, said: 'My daughters didn't eat it, but my son is only four and didn't know what it was.

'Lots of people are very upset. My daughters were crying when they came home. We're giving them packed lunches now and thinking of taking them out of the school.

[b]'We are trying to find out if this has happened before.'[/b]

The school held a meeting with parents to reassure them it won't happen again but Coun Islam, who represents Riverside for Plaid Cymru, has written to Cardiff council's chief schools officer, Hugh Knight, calling for an investigation.

A Cardiff council spokeswoman said: 'A lapse of supervision by catering staff at Mount Stuart Primary School in Butetown occurred on Tuesday, December 6, when children with a preference for non-pork products were served meat-based sausage rolls from a wide range of foods offered.

'Pupils did not consume the food as the mistake was detected in time and the food was removed immediately.

'Representatives from Cardiff council's schools catering service have met with parents, teachers and governors to discuss the incident and ensure that additional safeguards are in place so there is no repeat. We take this very seriously and apologise for this regrettable and isolated incident.'

anyone experienced anything like this before???

when i was in school they used to serve mid morning snacks in the canteen, one of them was a ham sandwich among other things.

at lunchtime i ordered chips and a bap.

opened the bap to fill it with chips and there were remnants of ham inside it

went mad, complained to staff and mum wrote letters to schoool head to complain

they promised it wdnt happen again

but it makes you wonder about the standards of food hygiene in places and their morals.

When i was in lower school i sat next to this Bengali boy who was eating ham or sumtin and i pointed it out to him that it was haraam....he threw up all over his plate and mine Cray 2

I used to eat mince pies when i was younger at school and stuff not knowing that they had beef in them

Thats pretty bad standards.

Never had such an experience but i agree with you that it does make you think about the level about hygiene.

mince pies have fruit in them though

i think regular commercial ones do

traditional mince pies mite have beef in them

"flower" wrote:
When i was in lower school i sat next to this Bengali boy who was eating ham or sumtin and i pointed it out to him that it was haraam....he threw up all over his plate and mine Cray 2

I used to eat mince pies when i was younger at school and stuff not knowing that they had beef in them

Lol..sorry that made me laugh.

I ate haraam once too. It was my own fault for being such a sheep.

I was in my Uni canteen it was my first week there….and a Muslim girl who I befriended in my lecture was in front of me. I saw her select the chicken and I thought to myself “How cool- this Uni sells halaal food” so I chose the chicken too.

I sat next to her on the table and started eating and said to her “I didn’t know this Uni sells halaal food” and she goes “Really? I didn’t know that either, I was told that the food here is haraam” (??!!)

I felt sick. But that was my own fault for being SO naïve.

From then on I told myself not to assume that if Muslim is eating meat, the meat is halaal.

poor muslim sis i feel for you

me i never ate haraam until recently when i was in pizza hut and got some of that pasta and encouraged my friend to get some too after one spoon and realising what it was i was totally sick in the toilet but managed to run back to stop my friend from eating it.

they should lable stuff properly

its everywhere haraam we have to be so careful

one of my friends never eats out in a non muslim place and is so careful at reading the ingredients in the supermarket we call her paranoid but i think she has a good point

Schools have a duty to be careful. They are incharge of vulnerable people. It is their duty to make sure the kids are not lead astray.

One thing I hate is Walkers Cheese & Onion Crisps.

I love cheese and onion crisps. however walkers make both halaal and haraam versions. The halaal one says 'suitable for vegetarians' on the back. However in a vending machine, you have no idea. So I just have to go without.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"fizzy1" wrote:
when i was in school they used to serve mid morning snacks in the canteen, one of them was a ham sandwich among other things.

at lunchtime i ordered chips and a bap.

opened the bap to fill it with chips and there were remnants of ham inside it

Haha, totally aisan style (except the prok nature of course).

Oh dear.

btw did you know apparantly its only mancs who use the word 'barm' for 'bap' or 'barmcake'. Lol

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

barm, no didnt know that

stayed at hotel, had free chocs, read ingredients, started eating, thought it tasted funny, realized i had misread it. it had alcohol in it, nearly threw up. my fault for not reading properly

twice been to a pasty shop, wont say which,. and asked for cheeses and onion, first time, bit into it, and saw pink inside - ham, complained to them, second time, separate occasion, it happened again, but i broke it open by hand and saw it

"MuslimSister" wrote:

From then on I told myself not to assume that if Muslim is eating meat, the meat is halaal.

Never assume, u right! I knew a girl at uni who wore a hijaab, prayed all her namaaz etc etc but there was sumthin weird about her that i couldnt put my finger on and it was only when i saw her on a number of occasions eating chicken sandwiches, or eating haraam nandos when she perfectly well knew that the franchise didnt serve halaal chicken i thought i question her. it turns out she was an Ahmedeed and they thought it was right to read namaaz with makeup and shoes on etc and you can eat haraam meat as long as you read the kalma

"seema*" wrote:
poor muslim sis i feel for you

me i never ate haraam until recently when i was in pizza hut and got some of that pasta and encouraged my friend to get some too after one spoon and realising what it was i was totally sick in the toilet but managed to run back to stop my friend from eating it.

they should lable stuff properly

its everywhere haraam we have to be so careful

one of my friends never eats out in a non muslim place and is so careful at reading the ingredients in the supermarket we call her paranoid but i think she has a good point

In pizza hut you should always go for the ones with the green handle, as far as the pasta goes there two types red and white, i dont know about the white one but the red one is veggie freindly

but one time we were in pizza hut and my sikh freind put herself some of the red pasta in, whilst she was eating she realised it had meat in it, she panicked thinking it was beef and when she questioned it she was told it was pepperoni...eeeew, since then ive bin so careful with what i eat and where

We also have to be careful coz some pastas have wine in it

I remember eating with a muslim friend of mines once, we both order quiche, he accidently brought the bacon or ham one, when i mention it too him, he simply mention he was from london and you do these thing there, when i mention it wasn't right again, he simply remove the bacon from the quiche and eat the quiche, i just gave up on him. But it seem loads of muslim eat gelatine sweets without caring and knowing full well what it contains, even though they would never eat a big mac from macdonalds, they are blind too the double standards.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

thanks flower i just wasnt paying attention - it never happened again!

Yuit yes i know some people from America who came over and ate the beefburger at mcdonalds and kept on eating even when they were told it was haraam the bloke said well we eat this all the time in America what do you want us to do - starve? no eat the fish but he said he didnt like fish - we gave up on them at this point

and did you know there are some very apparently devout muslims who eat haraam and they dont even care or bat an eyelid - whats that all about i really dont understand it

"yuit" wrote:
But it seem loads of muslim eat gelatine sweets without caring and knowing full well what it contains, even though they would never eat a big mac from macdonalds, they are blind too the double standards.

Very true.

Geletine is overlooked for some reason. It took my friend YEARS to give up eating the jelly sweets from our corner shop.

Her main complaint was the lack of Islamic alternatives. Halaal jelly sweets are in the increase in the past few years...but some of them taste funny.

Its important to leave the doubtful stuff ...sweets with no wrappers etc.

Ones worship is not accepted if they intentionally have haraam in their body for 40 days. And apparently...consuming haraam negatively effects ones character too.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
And apparently...consuming haraam negatively effects ones character too.

Ofcourse it does.

You have purposefully gone against the rules laid down for you by Allah (swt). That in itself will damage character.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Ones worship is not accepted if they intentionally have haraam in their body for 40 days. And apparently...consuming haraam negatively effects ones character too.

true.

BUT

i find the above article a bit OTT. i mean no offence, but its not as if the school wasnt making an effort to provide the kids with halaal/veggie food in the first place. and none of the kids would have eaten the pork intentionally once they realised - so they havent 'sinned' or anything.

i feel uneasy with the way people 'panic' over such things (to quote the article). ofcourse its a problem which should be addressed by the parents, but not blown outta proportion. the muslim community has much bigger problems to worry about.

as u pointed MuslimSis, if one eats haraam food [b]intentionally[/b] then they are in trouble - its a personal problem, not something for everyone to get caught up on.

i understand how this particular case was a community problem due to it happening in a school canteen and all, but in general, my point is that this is not a massive issue. i remember my family finding pork in a veggie pizza we'd ordered in Pizza Hut once when i was a kid, we complained obviously. i assume this happened a coupla times to people going to Pizza Hut, coz soon after they introduced those new measures (colour-coding utensils etc).

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

i agree with asiya

all the examples mentioned above by people were UNINTENTIONAL

only intentional haraam consumption is forbidden and sinful

the mad panic in the article above is unnecesary

salaam

my mother is in charge of the halal food area in a primary school. she basically supervises all the halal food and has to make sure it sall hygeneic and utensils and all that are sepearte etc.

and has to supervise the kids watch whos eating wat. however a few times she has told a couple of kids wats ryte and wat they cant have and they have complained to their parents who have cum back to canteen manager saying dont stop them let them eat what they want shock and so now my mother cant tell them wat to eat or not.

hey y'all

is halal the same as kosher?

and whats the big deal anyway?

i dont understand the reasoning behind these dietry laws

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

st george expected you to say that

kosher is not the same as halal thought it was until heard a scholars definition

halal Allah's name is spoken then throat slit blood allowed to drain

kosher the name of god is not spoken before throat slit.........

salaam

halal isnt the same as kosher however when no halal food is available u are allowed to eat kosher.

"seema*" wrote:
aparently not

really?

I thought we can

and Saadia in extreme circumstances-near death etc

we can even eat haraam

nope cos they dont say the name of god they say something like 'the one whos name we cant say' apparently

no no u can eat it coz althou they dont say Allah they use sum form of u know purifi cation typr thingy method cant explain

but theres a saying cant remeber if its a hadith ( man i have bad memory)

but its like u cant sleep at a Yahood house but can eat and u cant eat at a Chriatians house but u can sleep sumthing along those lines

saadia you may be right but that scholar kept going on about it kosher not permissable for muslims, not really looked into it myself

Apart from the actual method of slaughterin the animal (which is instant and the least painful to the animal) the reading of Allah (swt) is what makes the meat halal.

I think when its says you cant eat in a christain's house or can do so in a Jewish person its not refering to any kind of meat.

"seema*" wrote:
st george expected you to say that

kosher is not the same as halal thought it was until heard a scholars definition

halal Allah's name is spoken then throat slit blood allowed to drain

kosher the name of god is not spoken before throat slit.........

seema...u didnt tell me what the big deal about dietry laws is...

i wasnt taking the p

i just dont understand it...

im a christian so i believe in what jesus taught....

"[i]Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him unclean? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body. What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean." [/i]

[b](Mark 7: 18-23)[/b]

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Pages