idealism

Quote:
idealism is for the young - who can afford to be foolish

why did that make me slightly angry & defensive?

It is nothing to get angry about.

When you are young you have fewer responsibilities to get in the way. You have no family or kids to feed. You have few bills to pay. you dont have any dependants.

If a young person decides to spend some time volunteering etc to help others, he/she will probably have someone to foot the bill, provide the food, or at a maximum would not need to expend too much time to provide the basics for him/herself.

But for an older person, someone needs to put the food on the table for the whole family, so volunteering for some random task has a much higher task and it may even be wrong for the person to volunteer if it means he/she abandons their duties of care to others around them.

This means that you can spend extra time in idealism which otherwise you cannot as you will have duties to others too, duties that are primary and make idealist issues or injusticies in far away lands secondary concerns.

There was an old saying that war was for the young.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

dont worry, its in the "young" genes. anything about us that doesnt sound good, we go on hte defensive. only exception is our mum, now...who wouldnt fight for their mother?

where was i? oh yeah, defensive. like how the french president said that he needed to clean the estate with them pressure washer thingy. hahaha, he got what he deserve, it was well funny!! (he wasnt the president then, he was "ministre de l'interieur" i once upon a time knew the equivalent in english..)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?