Parenting - does practice make perfect?

ok, there is a discussion on Tribune about "Octomom" (started when I linked to ) and the idea that she is wrong to have so many kids etc etc.

Anyway, the discussion got to wether they kids would be better or worse off than kids in smaller families.

So.. do you think they will not be looked after properly, or would they benefit from having so many siblings?

Secondly, with most things you improve with practice - is this the same with kids? Where you will mess up in the first, mess up less ons econd and maybe by the time you get to number 14 it will be less messed up?

Practice only makes perfect when your willing to accept you made mistakes and learn from them otherwise as Hegel said all we learn from history is that we learn nothing.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

FUNZO! being! Phylosophical! Shok

Blum 3 i agree with Funzo.

i also think the number of years between kids is important. maybe if they are too close then the parents dont have time to reflect on what they did wrong (or have not seen the consequences of what they did wrong) and so teach it to the next kid and so no improvement. and there isnt as close as "born at the same time with a few minutes differences".

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Hmm this is me on a daily basis world hunger morality its usually what i think of while smoking my pipe and listening to Mozart..

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

smoking the pipe? Listenign to Mozart? tutut. that kinda failed
you should have said something like "biting on my miswak while listening to Sudaysi's taraweeh recitation" Blum 3

i don't think the kids in larger families are worse off than smaller families, there are pros and cons for each family.

As for getting better with practice. That is true with the first child. With the first child the couple don't know what to expect, how to deal with problems effectively. But by making mistakes, and asking for help parents learn to cope, and things get easier. With the second child those newborn teething problems no longer exist because the parents have learned to practice patience and know what strategies to use to solve problems.

But to some extent no amount of practice will make a parent perfect, because every child is an individual and will pose different problems during each growth stage. I don;t think parents mess up, it's only those who fail to take an interest in their children who fail. Those who persevere and learn from their mistakes are good parents in my opinion.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

my littlest sister is like a combination of all three of us. (me, my sis and my bro) its crazy! she does different things like i or she or he would do. like she gets angry like my bro, cries like my sis and is active like me. and then you get all those people "she looks like the eldest" "OMG! she's EXACTLY like your second daughter" "wouah! she looks just like your son!" (and people actually change the sibling resemblance on their second visit...) but alhamdoulillah now she just looks like her...

so being the oldest...i might have being deprived of good stuff eh? Blum 3 im onyl joking, i've been compensated with the amount of POWER i have now :badgrin:

it's alright, (the closeness) hamdoulillah. sometimes wish i could be less weird with my sis. but i've gottten used to my own company and its hard to change old ways...

i was wondering where the 8 babies came from. i didnt know they were HER kids. (hopefully we're talking about the same thing)
Why dont you post a link, so we can all see the horridness of the french Blum 3

Parenting - does practice make perfect?

I hope so.