Its mother knows where it is.

A selection of pics from a day out in Tatton Park. Staff are busily preparing for the RHS flower show but it's already beautiful. If you want to know what any of these things are I can probably tell you. Biggrin

Explain the title, please.

Ninth picture down.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Lol, got it.

Should an animal be called an 'it'?

s.b.f wrote:

When people don't know the sex of a newborn they call the baby "it", linguistically a sensible contraction of "him or her". An unspecified adult is a "they" but that isn't great. A lot of languages just use the masculine which isn't great either. Think of a new grammatical word for the person or animal of either sex. Biggrin
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Joie de Vivre wrote:
s.b.f wrote:

When people don't know the sex of a newborn they call the baby "it",

even though i am guilty of this, i prefer the 'he/she' method of referring to a newborn

Ocean wrote:
Cool stuff! When did you go wild with your camera?

Are the recent photographs in the Friday's peace and blessing thread your own?

Not the awesome ones and sadly not the Mars avalanche but from now on I'll feature more of my own efforts. It is a very ordinary digital point'n'shoot same as most cameras but I've been practising focus and light balance and so on, and totally appreciate the encouragement!

On second thoughts I won't all that much, and then maybe others will chime in with their shots but people should also be happy posting found stuff.

For that I would have to leave the house... but if the opportunity presents itself I may upload some snaps from my phone.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

That strawberry looks weird. Is that how they look before they are ready?

I am sooo happy to have a use for this knowledge that came to me this week. That strawberry is an Indian variety, Duchesnea indica, that is normally very bland but some younger specimens occasionally produce good sweet fruit. I was just telling someone that I had never seen them in the UK and he said they are everywhere in Europe and America and linked to a site saying they grow in the East End. Of course you can sweeten them how you like.

@ ocean. you had trouble uploading your pics from your fone? maybe you should have emialed them to yourself and then saved as from there?

and lol at your brother!

@ joey. you've never seen strawberries in england? i went strawberry picking once {tries to think of place name.....urgh can't remember - annoyiiiiiing}

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
@ joey. you've never seen strawberries in england? i went strawberry picking once {tries to think of place name.....urgh can't remember - annoyiiiiiing}

lol I said I had never seen Duchesnea indica, which is this variety with the big red seeds. But apparently they are not so uncommon especially in the south.

:oops:

just re-read your post lol

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Ocean wrote:
Oh. I didn't know that! I just thought they were just slightly small but strawberry. Cool, and indian variety? So they originate from India?

Yep. But they are pretty well naturalised. , officially there is a new genus name for them, and Wikipedia seems to consider them fake strawberries but the reports I got were more mixed - some people saying pointless to eat, someone else saying they sprinkle sugar on them for breakfast, and someone else saying that he has occasionally known the fruit of a young plant to taste sweeter than a cultivated strawberry.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
I am sooo happy to have a use for this knowledge that came to me this week. That strawberry is an Indian variety, Duchesnea indica, that is normally very bland but some younger specimens occasionally produce good sweet fruit. I was just telling someone that I had never seen them in the UK and he said they are everywhere in Europe and America and linked to a site saying they grow in the East End. Of course you can sweeten them how you like.

can i ask how you came across this - just seems bit random lol

It's a tad embarrassing but yes, this wildlife photographer in the States wanted to identify heavily rotted specimen that had somehow lost its way, and it looked like a parasitised apple to me, and I was corrected. Lately I spend a lot of time on this sort of thing. (In fairness he had described it as a fungus.)