Muslim Women's dress code

You know the big black thing that covers the whole body and flows around so much (lack of descriptive words), is it what the wives of the prophet used to wear?

what do you wear?

LOL

The big black thing is called a jilbab which was ordained in the Quranic verses - the variations we wear can probably be argued to be jilbabs too - but the literal text is pretty much what most women in Iran wear...

I was reading today that the jilbab/garment of the time was not the same as the current Jilbab/abays worn in the middle eash, but closer to the bui-bui worn in some parts of Africa.

I have no idea what a bui bui is (or if it even is any different from the jilbab/abaya/whatever), but I found that interesting.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Not 100% sure about the style of the Jilbaab but I know the wives of the Prophet wore the Niqaab (face covering).

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Truth's_Razors wrote:
Not 100% sure about the style of the Jilbaab but I know the wives of the Prophet wore the Niqaab (face covering).

The verse asking them to veil themselves tells them "you are not like other women" and them being veiled was a distinction for them from other believing women too (there is a hadith when someone asked if the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was taking an woman as his wife or his concubine and the reply was if she is veiled tomorrow, she will be his wife. She was veiled he next day.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Anonymous1 wrote:
LOL

The big black thing is called a jilbab which was ordained in the Quranic verses - the variations we wear can probably be argued to be jilbabs too - but the literal text is pretty much what most women in Iran wear...

no, not jilbaab (im not THAT thick =P)..

there's the one where they wear the dress (jilbaab) and then on top, their scarf is so long it comes up to their knees and so flows everywhere

and there is the one which is just one piece from the top of the head all the way to the feet and its got sleeves in it.

both got niqaab

^^these two, are they what the prophet's wives wore. and the eye part of the tradition Afghani dress. you're not telling me THAT is what the wives of the prophet had!

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

abaya? bui bui? (I have no idea what the latter is, but I read it somewhere today.)

Lilly wrote:
there's the one where they wear the dress (jilbaab) and then on top, their scarf is so long it comes up to their knees and so flows everywhere

it's called a chador.

According to it was only mandated that the wives of Mohammad cover themselves, she regards the concept of women having to cover themselves a lie.

You wrote:
abaya? bui bui? (I have no idea what the latter is, but I read it somewhere today.)

there are so many terms which mean different thing. until i get clear name i'll stick to descriptions Blum 3

im asking because the whole "flowing" thing REALLY stands out. I mean..i saw this woman walking in the street dressed all in black with the big flowing scarf and she did stand out.

and isnt the point of the hijaab, NOT to stand out. Please dont give me the ayah about wearing the hijaab to be recognize. being recognized and standing out are two different things.

and if someone where different "types" of hijaab in different situations, is it being a hypocrite?

AFAIK, Irshad Manji is not a woman many Muslims hold to be credible.

Besides, even if the order was only for the wives, that does not mean others are banned from it as copying them would be following their sunnah, thus a reward worthy action.

are the feet part of the women's awrah?

so no open toes sandals?

I think it goes to ankles, so not feet.

(note the use of the word *think*)

For this topic - someone elsewhere asked a bit ago... you know how men are not supposed to dress as women and women are not allowed to dress as men... what does this mean?

Like if you see the dress codes of different places... arab male dress in the UK may be seen as a long skirt.... a kilt as a shorter one.

The "toti" is also a wrap around...

so how is it decided what is suitable and what isn't?

Lilly wrote:

so no open toes sandals?

Forget sandals, you can walk around barefooted Blum 3

MuslimBro wrote:
Lilly wrote:

so no open toes sandals?

Forget sandals, you can walk around barefooted Blum 3

can women??
coz in the salaah, arent women suppose to wear socks? (therefore cover their feet)??

@ YOU: i think we should create a whole new topic about the "men dressing like women and vice versa" its quite a big topic.

but it got ignored.

coz in the salaah, arent women suppose to wear socks? (therefore cover their feet)??

Some also think they have to wear gloves. Doesn't make it so.

There are also others who suggest that women should wear a veil tha only allows one eye to see out... they even atribute this (falsely) to Hadhrat Ali (ra).

There was even a woman in saudi who tried to divorce her husband afver years of marriage because he tried to see her face.

Just because people do something, does not make it right or the only thing to do.

Some times they have a good reason and sometimes they don't.

Lilly wrote:
can women??

There exists a difference of opinion re this issue thus the confusion.

To put it simply, there are 3 opinions which exists within the hanafi madhab:
1) Feet is awrah
2) Feet is not awrah
3) Feet is awrah outside salah but not in salah

Obviously it is better if one takes the more cautious opinion which is to consider the feet awrah. However because of the valid difference of opinions, one can follow any of the 3 opinions without being criticised.

MuslimBro wrote:
...Obviously it is better if one takes the more cautious opinion...

This is not always the case - overmedicating can be dangerous too.

Unfortunately not too many people are aware of this and the damage can be more hidden.

Think of it like people taking too much medication for a specific disease or a virus. That can make the virus mutate into something bigger or worse. Or die and be replaced by something bigger or worse.

Its a difference between scientists - people who can create something in a test tube, but not int he wider world - and engineers - people who take the text tube and apply it to the real world.

Jazakallah MuslimBro.

So now...you should just follow what the sheikhs you listen to say? (and if the heat gets too much, just wear open toes sandals)

You wrote:
MuslimBro wrote:
...Obviously it is better if one takes the more cautious opinion...

This is not always the case - overmedicating can be dangerous too.

Give an example of a masaail where there are valid difference of opinions and where following the more cautious opinion is dangerous.

Lilly wrote:
So now...you should just follow what the sheikhs you listen to say?

As long as their answers conforms to the madhab.

she is punished or forgiven (same for any other sin).

Talking in the general sense, it would probably be rare for someones entire hearafter to be based on one single decision - however that can happen and there is a hadith I think that mentions about how people can attain paradise through one small deed, or gain hell by one small one (where it is the deed that tips the scale, kind of like the straw that breaks the camels back).

What would be more dangerous is precedent and the slippery slope the narrative the person has told him/herself in order to make the initial compomise palateable. Where will it lead and where will it end up?

Will the person even be able to see where the first step was or will the person be mistaken and make a narrative of victimehood where it is someone elses fault for where things go?

The first step may be really small - the same with the next one and the one after that, but that does not mean that there is no cumulative effect - kind of like the where the subjects started off with only administering 15 volt "unfeelable" shocks and eventually a substantial number would go on to administer what they would consider to be lethal shots - getting there through a series of relatively minor steps.

Ocean wrote:
What's the punishment?

no idea. i don't think there is a specific punishment.

weds wrote:
Can she give it up with the intention that she'll be forgiven?

no (i'm assuming). why would you?

weds wrote:
This messes up a head big time!

why?

Hijab means good decent dress for females; it makes them look respectable.

headscarf gives women honour. kafirs got none coz they are shameless. thats why they hate honnorable women. why else do you reckon they banned it in france and other countries. they want muslim females to look disgraceful like their own kafir women do.
lanat on france, belgium, and others who deprive females of their basic rights to wear decent clothes. God curse those who deny women the right to wear modest clothes.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

I've seen htis scarf. where its like what the Somali women wear, (know what im talking about?) but instead of having to lift it up to get your hands free, there are holes at arm level and you just put your arm through. i think this is quite neat. but does it go against any of the principle of the hijaab?

You wrote:
Truth's_Razors wrote:

The verse asking them to veil themselves tells them "you are not like other women" and them being veiled was a distinction for them from other believing women too (there is a hadith when someone asked if the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was taking an woman as his wife or his concubine and the reply was if she is veiled tomorrow, she will be his wife. She was veiled he next day.)

but did you know there is also a hadith which refers to the verse of the hijab being revealed and women in general not the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wives alone tearing their garments to try and cover their faces too? Our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) never forbade it. Had he forbade it then you could say face veiling was exclusively for his Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wives.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Lilly wrote:
I've seen htis scarf. where its like what the Somali women wear, (know what im talking about?) but instead of having to lift it up to get your hands free, there are holes at arm level and you just put your arm through. i think this is quite neat. but does it go against any of the principle of the hijaab?

No long as arms are covered up to the wrists not a problem.

i usually wear the two piece khimar sets in black or navy. you get a khimar and a jilbab to go with it. Some come with long skirts instead. in high summer i tend to wrap thinner light scarves to cover my face, as the two pieces can be more hot. Here's the sort of thing im on about, don't purchase nothing from this site, i've heard of ppl not receiving their orders, just for illustration purposes:

btw two piece sets not good for blustery weather unless you have hands free to hold the top scarf down, it bellows up like a baloon, tried and tested lol. in autumn best to go for an overhead abaya which fits from head down to ankles or a long scarf with the jilbab, more practical.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]