Be Honest
26% (18 votes)
Be Both
68% (46 votes)
Be Neither
1% (1 vote)
Total votes: 68

Who voted 'neither' ?

Not me - but that is a rather good option - just go your own way and not meddle at all.

If I had to choose between being nice and being honest, I hope that I will always (well, mostly - there may be situations where its not warranted) choose honesty.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I don't think there should have been a 'Be Both' option, it kinda stops people actually thinking about the answer and choosing the easiest answer instead!

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Both if possible

if you can only do one thing then being honest is probably the best thing

and "being cruel to be nice" can be applied if necessary

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Truth's_Razors wrote:
I don't think there should have been a 'Be Both' option, it kinda stops people actually thinking about the answer and choosing the easiest answer instead!

True. and without that I am sure more people would be nice over being honest.

So people who read this before voting - consider not using that option.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

'be both'

Suhail wrote:
'be both'

and if I had intelligently left that off the options list?

I voted neither

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Noor wrote:
why?

Is there any point putting that question to an openly dishonest person?
Or is rawr just being humbly, ridiculously honest about occasional transgressions?
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Doesn't have to be dishonesty - there is also the option to not participate. the idea that "its none of my business".

(and nice does not have to be dishonest either - you can skirt around the issues etc.)

I think I voted 'Be Nice'

Simply because it doesn't hurt to be kind to someone, whereas someone can be hurt if you are too truthful and we all know there is definitely too much hatred in the world.

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Noor wrote:
why?

Coz i'm often neither so i can't tell people to be either, that would make me a hypocrite.

and i cba to even want to change atm

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

but if someone asked you for advice?

Not a situation where you are being preachy but someone asked you what you really think about something anything and you know the truth will hurt them.

You wrote:
but if someone asked you for advice?

Not a situation where you are being preachy but someone asked you what you really think about something anything and you know the truth will hurt them.

Whatever will best shorten any situation

E.g (tell the truth) In a shop "Ashie, what d'you think of this shirt, does it make my skin look too pale?"

Me: Yes

*Shirt discarded, move on to other clothes*

OR

(lie) "Does this dress make me look fat"

Me: "No"

*Hair, outfit and make-up isn't changed for something that makes said friend look less elephantine*