Unregistered marriages causing trouble.

Wedding trouble as UK Muslim marriages not recognised

A growing number of young Muslims in the UK are entering marriages that are not legally recognised, BBC Asian Network has found. This is because couples are having an Islamic wedding without the civil ceremony needed for the marriage to be recognised under British law.

Shaheeda Khan married her fiance in a traditional Islamic religious ceremony, the nikah, at her home in Birmingham.

After the wedding the couple moved to London where they started to build a life and home together but, 13 months into the marriage, Shaheeda realised that her nikah was not legally valid.

''I had to show a marriage certificate when I was enrolling at university. It was then I realised I didn't have one and it came as a big shock to me," she said.

Shaheeda, whose name has been changed to protect her identity, said she asked her husband to register their marriage but he was against the idea.

A few months later she came home and found that the locks to her front door had been changed and that she had been thrown out of her home.

"I was homeless. I took legal action but I got nothing," explained Shaheeda. "I had been paying the mortgage on our home but the house was not in my name so I lost everything.''

Eventually, Shaheeda moved back home with her family.

Read more @

Ah crap I read this article also on BBC, which reminds me I need to get my nikah legalized..... :roll:

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

Bijou wrote:
Ah crap I read this article also on BBC, which reminds me I need to get my nikah legalized..... :roll:

Its not like its difficult to do.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
Bijou wrote:

Its not like its difficult to do.

Yeah...I know that..thanks , but it changes a few things like financial circumstances and stuff...if I did it whilst I was at uni it would have been a huge hassle.Now that I've finished it will be done shortly. Smile

Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.

Why is the word: 'marriages' spelt wrong in the title?

oh :O this is scary...

hamdoulillah for us, usually on one of the days of wedding, i think its before the walimah, we have the ceremony at townhall (french thing i guess)..

i'll confirm later on when i get round to asking parents.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

s.b.f wrote:
Why is the word: 'marriages' spelt wrong in the title?

Fixed

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I panicked last year coz someone mentioned this to me but when I looked further into it, I realised because I got married in pakistan I did'nt have to.

I was scared in case it affected my hubbys application to remain in the uk.

Yup, marriage is an internationally protected institution - so a legally recognised marriage in one place is also a legally recognised marriage everywhere else.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Original post, which I have not read for months is about the dangers of not registering - the spouse has no legal status and nothing to fall back on if things go wrong.