[BBC Two] Muslim Driving School

Muslim Driving School: Driving with the veil

Korsa has been a driving instructor in Blackburn for a year. Her decision to wear a veil in the car initially raised a few eyebrows.

Muslim Driving School gives an insight into the lives of Muslim women learner drivers, their instructors and families.

It can be seen on BBC Two at 2200 GMT on Tuesday 12 January and afterwards on BBC iPlayer.

Watch video @

EDIT - is up on iplayer.

I assume that she would not feel the need to wear the face veil when teaching a female student (and there are no cameras present)?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Muslim grandmother gets into the driving seat

At 58, grandmother Taslima is learning to drive, and living in Bradford she discovers one control in the car could be more important than any other.

Muslim Driving School gives an insight into the lives of Muslim women learner drivers, their instructors and families.

It can be seen on BBC Two at 2200 GMT on Tuesday 12 January and afterwards on BBC iPlayer.

Watch video @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

their accents are so strong.

You wrote:
I assume that she would not feel the need to wear the face veil when teaching a female student (and there are no cameras present)?

people can still see...

unless the car has tinted windows.

assalamu alaikum,

i started taking lessons, but momentarily forced to stop, because i'm a danger to everyone lol, no seriously i am too busy.

I wear a face veil. i wasn't comfortable learning to drive with a veil on. i felt like it was blocking my peripheral view. depending on what type of veil worn it can. so i decided to wrap a scarf cleverly so i was still able to slide it up or down under my chin.

So when i left the built up area and went to the quieter areas of the city i took it down. i felt at ease learning that way. a few lessons on i was more confident with what i was doing so i kept it up. But i still feel sort of unsafe with a face veil driving. maybe it's because i am still learning to drive. maybe i will feel its easy once ive passed, who knows. Any niqabi drivers here let me know if it gets easier.

The sort of niqab the sister is wearing in on that short clip is the type i usually wear, but mine is triple layer. if you've noticed she has done her best to widen the eye area or it's loose enough to give way. some of these sort of niqabs are stitched with very narrow slits and there would be no leeway to widen it to increase vision.

in brum i have seen sisters driving with second layer covering their eyes, that is playing russian roulette with ppls lives.

ps i wonder why bbc decided to record a show like this, surely it will get the public talking about banning women with face veils from driving?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

am I the only one who when a car goes by sees it as a block?

The only time I get a chance to see the face is if someone horns at me while driving extremely slowly.

As such, I don't think actually covering the face while driving gives any more coverage.

As for it causing or not issues, I doubt it will as I am sure the veil can be worn in a manner to not block the peripheral vision. (I assume the uncomfortableness is natural and something that the wearer has decided is worth it [or something I am just imagining that it may be].)

If on the other hand it is a safety hazard...

just watching now and it seems to be lacking in the "hilarity" that may or may not have been intead at by the earlier clips.

my husband said same thing. when car is moving at some speed no one notices faces. but if you're going real slow in residential areas then its possible. i think if no one including muslims out there have never seen a niqabi driving this doc will leave them gob smacked. i was shocked when i first realised niqabis could drive, previously i had thght it was illegal.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

It also shows another side of them - shows them to be human and that should overcome any "gobsmacking" and maybe make them more identifiable as people in general.

that aunty was so funny!

and my shaykh was one of the driver instructors!!

oh and there are loads of niqaabi drivers, you people need to get out more!

I do look at other drivers, obviously not at dangerous moments, but I like to connect. Occasionally other people are doing it and we exchange non-verbal greetings, but mostly people don't like eye contact so as I look over they look away embarrassed. Catching glimpses is at speed is more of an art, but if you do get eye contact I think it makes for safer roads.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

You wrote:
(I assume the uncomfortableness is natural and something that the wearer has decided is worth it [or something I am just imagining that it may be].)

If on the other hand it is a safety hazard...

some niqaabs can be uncomfortable depending on the material and the stitch but the ones i have are very comfy. you get used to it after a while and forget that it is there.

I would have thought eye contact would be worse? like potentially forgetting you are driving?

Am I just being a silly goose or is it not DANGEROUS to drive wearing a niqab simply because you cant possibly see as clearly and are creating potential damage/accidents to yourself and others. I have seen several niqabi sisters drive and they aint too good, dunno how much of that is cos they're women or cos of the niqab lol

but dont shoot me down...im just thinking out aloud:-)

yes you are being a silly goose.

i think all of you should try out the niqaab.

niqaab does not hinder your view, you can see perfectly fine with it on.

is everyone clear?

I for one assert Noor's right to wear a niqab and drive.

Right, the disclaimers done. Whenever I wear a hood it always limits my peripheral vision, I can only see straight ahead and I don't like it. Maybe its the same for niqabs and hijabs.

Having said that, with my glasses I have very blurry peripheral vision and can only see clearly straight ahead so I guess it's not a major problem.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Dawud wrote:
Maybe its the same for niqabs and hijabs.

no it isn't.

ok i just tried on a niqaab with my glasses and i can see fine. my view is exactly the same with and without the niqaab.

@yash: i have friends who wear the niqaab and drive, they haven't ever had an accident because of the niqaab. if it was dangerous, they wouldn't wear it and drive.

now people, please don't make me repeat myself again.

I'm gonna put on a niqab and sit in a car and experience it for myself
if u dont hear from me again...you'll know why lol

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
Am I just being a silly goose or is it not DANGEROUS to drive wearing a niqab simply because you cant possibly see as clearly and are creating potential damage/accidents to yourself and others. I have seen several niqabi sisters drive and they aint too good, dunno how much of that is cos they're women or cos of the niqab lol

but dont shoot me down...im just thinking out aloud:-)

The issue of safety is easily dealt with - it is called a driving test. There are many many people who are not good/safe drivers and fail such tests.

unlike other bad habits such as using a mobile phone, applying makeup, reading a book or something else, the niqab can be worn in the test too, so any obstruction by it should not affect the overall safety of the drive, otherwise the person would fail.

(and then there is the issue of glasses with bad eyesight that Dawud mentioned later.)

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
I'm gonna put on a niqab and sit in a car and experience it for myself
if u dont hear from me again...you'll know why lol

lol or the fact that u cant drive Lol

jokes aside is this documentary worth a watch, or is it designed to have a laugh at us niqabies?

p.s sorry noor didn't realise you wore the niqab is this recent or many yrs now?

Hajjar wrote:
jokes aside is this documentary worth a watch, or is it designed to have a laugh at us niqabies?

It is something to decide for yourself. its only half an hour long.

and then let us know if you thought it a pisstake or something worth watching.

Hajjar wrote:
p.s sorry noor didn't realise you wore the niqab is this recent or many yrs now?

i don't.

i think it was a waste of time. the narrator constantly pokes fun at the participants of the documentary. All the same boring stereotypes about muslim women are reflected. it really made me laugh at how pathetic it was. it really lacked depth. the music accompanying the documentary said it all, it was light and had a comical touch to it. if i had moments of laughter this must have been great for bnp to recruit more members.

i hated that bit where the father said his english daughter had been brainwashed yet im sure muslims would say the same if their daughter converted to another faith. point is it's a stereotype. if someone genuinely converts even then they must have been duped into it. then that niqabi sister who had befriended her went too far saying the revert girl was her daughter now. yes shes been extremely generous and Allah will reward her, but it was insensitive. she has parents, even if not on best of terms still her parents.

i loved the elderly lady who passed her test in english, insisted she do it in english. plus she said im gona go college too, i wont be a grandmother that can't speak english, bless her.

also really strange how they couldn't find 1 individual apart from the english revert who spoke english fluently?

the imam said he was a really patient man then he was seen having a go at humaira lool, that was a highlight.

if i had moments of laughter this must have been great for bnp to recruit more members.

I thought it got people to see niqabis as humans and people, with flaws and all, people without a masterplan of world domination, nor as door mats.

Why do you think it would help the likes of the BNP? I would have thought the opposite.

It is also a series, so maybe other episodes will have people who are properly fluent in english.

apart from the positive role of the niqabi sister as a "driving instructor" working outside of the home. i think it gave ur typical assumptions about niqabi sisters;cannot speak english very well, foreigners/immigrants, excessive amount of kids. the other niqabi sister the reporter implied very cleverly the niqab was being used as a tool to suppress and obliterate her real identity,ie not the girl who was addicted to drugs and drink, but rather the good english girl her parents raised her as. i think the sister was naive she didn't realise the intentions of the reporter.

ppl who are already inclined towards bnp beliefs will think yes look at um here for more than 10 yrs dont bother to learn our language. women dont go out to work coz men dont let them, all they're good for is producing dozens of babies. Those muslims are out to convert all our kids our daughters and sons are not safe from them.whilst our own ppl are integrating and working their socks off to contribute, etc etc.

yes i agree more episodes i may watch, but dont have high hopes...

I missed all that and did not see it in such a negative light.

I saw it as people less than fluent in english still trying to get things done.

No point me repeating that though, said it a few times and it seems you saw it differently.

i thought it was hilarious, the granny made the show.