Preaching to Barroness Warsi

well she's a conservative :/

(ive just learnt about the political spectrum lol)

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I have never "learnt" about the "political spectrum" and the concept seems overly simplistic as people will have a broad range of views, some that would be central, some right, some left.

Besides the conservatives are a political party and their position can shift on the spectrum.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

What I saw wrong in that video:

1. The method of preaching had no hikmah
  2. it was just plain harrassment.
  3. A hint (or more) of arrogance ("you are going to teach me about islam?!?" - how arrogant an approach)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
What I saw wrong in that video:
  1. The method of preaching had no hikmah
  2. it was just plain harrassment.
  3. A hint (or more) of arrogance ("you are going to teach me about islam?!?" - how arrogant an approach)

Agree with you totally. That was I thought.

And the way they asked her "do you represent the Sharia?" As if they represented the Sharia by harrasing and shouting at a woman in the street.

You wrote:
I have never "learnt" about the "political spectrum" and the concept seems overly simplistic as people will have a broad range of views, some that would be central, some right, some left.

Besides the conservatives are a political party and their position can shift on the spectrum.

{sigh} im 15 i need it to be simple :/ lol

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

did you watch her on Question Time when Nick Griffin was on, she totally embrassed him, and exposed his parties views.

When i said that "they" will hate "us", what i meant was, if we Muslims (the "us") cannot work together as a community, as one "Ummah" and show some respect for members of other Muslims in or community, however practicing or non practicing they may be, it doesn't come to me as a surprise that people from other faiths, the general public, nationwide and worldwide (the "they")despise us Muslims. Hope that some what made it clearer to you, to what i meant. Biggrin

Its people like those in the video, who actually bring the name of Islam into a 2bad light". And i totally agree, that that comment made "Are you going to teach me about Islam", was so so soooo arrogant!

Just because you may have a beard down to your belly,, does NOT make you any more knowledgeable that someone without a beard or whatever.

Some Muslims these days! Can you even call them Muslims? =/...With the acts that they do, it really REALLY put shame to Islam...!

One Ummah...x

afsana92 wrote:
Can you even call them Muslims?

yes.

Well only Allah (swt) has the ultimate authority to decide who and who isn't Muslim, BUT their actions were clearly unIslamic and totally haram, and while I don't agree with everything Sayeeda Warsi believes I throw my hat off for her because of the way she dealt with Nick Griffin on Question Time.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

i don't think she was all that.

That was a rhetorical question. I know i have no right to determine whether their Muslim or not, But just linked to their actions they really do disgrace Islam.

One Ummah...x

No way she is a conservative - the extreme version of the consrvative is the BNP !!!
Im a social policy student so i no !!!

Plus she doesnt not even look like a muslim women !!!
Anyone could say she is a hindi, sikh etc if they didnt know her !!!

Just coz she can handle a few aggressive youths dont mean she muslim personality !!!
What has she done for the Muslims ???

Btw i have nothing against her - but to nominate her is a waste of a vote !!!

SISTER, Next time you're moved in this way could we have a courtesy flush?

SISTER wrote:

No way she is a conservative - the extreme version of the consrvative is the BNP !!!

The Conservative Party is one of the three old mainstream parties, the party of Disraeli,Churchill, Thatcher, Major and now David Cameron. The BNP is a neo-nazi party that arose out of the National Front. Your comparison is... a deliberate lie. Trust, I have a brain, so I know.

SISTER wrote:

Well you don't sound like a respectable person, at all. You sound like a malicious gossip. Do you mean she should wear Islamic dress or be slandered like this?!

SISTER wrote:
Just coz she can handle a few aggressive youths dont mean she muslim personality !!!

For perspective can I ask what you reckon this prominent British Muslim SHOULD be doing for Islam?

SISTER wrote:
Btw i have nothing against her - but to nominate her is a waste of a vote !!!

Another brazen lie. And I genuinely don't care about the nomination as much as I do about standards in this forum I frequent.
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

do you remember the guys that threw eggs at her? well i met them and told i thought they were a bunch of jokes...unsuprisingly they dont react as emotionally towards a group of males then they did to a single female.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

you did? where? what? how?

SISTER wrote:

As a student of politics, you should also know that things are not always that simple. By simply ignoring the Tories, if they are in power, they will have no idea how to cater for Muslims. Muslims need to take an active part in as many parties as they can without compromising their beliefs.

SISTER wrote:

She has a choice on how she wants to dress and true faith is also internal, so at most her dress sense is sinful - but that is not the same as kufr and also every human errs. it is natural to err, but if every single error was treated as a position one could not recover from, we would not be in a good place.

It is human to err, to forget and to ask for forgiveness.

SISTER wrote:

She has made some of their voices heard from a different platform, to and by different people.

Someone nominated her, and the counter to a nomination is not as above, but to nominate someone better, or to specify how she has hurt muslims if you think that is what she has done.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
And I genuinely don't care about the nomination as much as I do about standards in this forum I frequent.

The problem here can be that this forum can be frequented by younger people, or people who disagree and they should be able to speak up freely as she did.

Over time new people can be moulded to beter put forward their arguments etc, but that requires somewhere to start - and this is especially an issue as there are other forums on the 'net where an emotional response is king.

I think the deal is you have a bunch of unverified accounts all talking bs.

it's great, isn't it? Biggrin

I wonder where they found this place... SISTER may have followed a link I oput up on Ummah forums, but John and Tom, I am less sure. (John could have looked at his site stats or googled his own site I guess).

You wrote:

Down the road from my school they tried preaching there and called me over i realised i recognized them and gave them a piece of my mind.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Funzo wrote:
You wrote:

Down the road from my school they tried preaching there and called me over i realised i recognized them and gave them a piece of my mind.

Funzo you little bad man! They came down to your school? hmmm

Joie de Vivre wrote:
I think the deal is you have a bunch of unverified accounts all talking bs.

Unverified? How is your account verified?

Now that's BS!!

Joie de Vivre wrote:

Well you don't sound like a respectable person, at all. You sound like a malicious gossip. Do you mean she should wear Islamic dress or be slandered like this?!

What an accusation. If she does mean she should wear the headscarf what is there in that, that is malicious? You cannot profess to be one thing and not follow some of the basic tenants.
Joie de Vivre wrote:

For perspective can I ask what you reckon this prominent British Muslim SHOULD be doing for Islam?

Bridging communities but also adhering to what you profess is your religion.
Joie de Vivre wrote:

Another brazen lie.

You can see the intentions of a person? (even though slightly mixed up) You cannot hold people to a imagined standard you set.

Those idiots who harassed Warsi gave her more momentum in her convoluted presentation of Islam whilst at the same time showing themselves to be arrogant.

We saw the two extremes of Islam. One very relaxed version and one very aggressive. Simple.

For us Muslims is the middle and moderate path.

I'm not sure entirely what your last sentence is meant to mean juxtaposed against the previous comment but I get that you consider yourself a fairly solid middle-of-the-road Muslim, which I'm not positioned to discuss. I'm out of time, but that post isn't budging me, I responded to a post that was vaguely slanderous and malicious, that was perhaps just making the point a little too firmly for my liking, and I'm happy with what I said about it, smears and all. I had considered SISTER's phrasing and went with my gut. SISTER can clarify if I have the wrong end of the stick but it seemed very much like an empty and thoughtless attack. And I don't leave comments under a disguised identity, and nor is it especially commonplace here, whereas quite a few EDGY posters using what ARE termed "unverified accounts" have cropped up lately. Admin isn't suspicious so, fair enough, but I have reasons for pointing it out.

I would be interested in hearing what Barroness Warsi was about to say when she was cut off with "You're going to tell US?" because I have no idea what her personal stance on anything is.

YouShutup wrote:
Funzo wrote:
You wrote:

Funzo you little bad man! They came down to your school? hmmm

bad man! haha far from it!

What did they actually say in response? did they have a defence?

also, who were these people? part of some organisation or just random individuals?

YouShutup wrote:
Joie de Vivre wrote:

What an accusation. If she does mean she should wear the headscarf what is there in that, that is malicious? You cannot profess to be one thing and not follow some of the basic tenants.
Joie de Vivre wrote:

Bridging communities but also adhering to what you profess is your religion.
Joie de Vivre wrote:

Another brazen lie.

You can see the intentions of a person? (even though slightly mixed up) You cannot hold people to a imagined standard you set.

Those idiots who harassed Warsi gave her more momentum in her convoluted presentation of Islam whilst at the same time showing themselves to be arrogant.

We saw the two extremes of Islam. One very relaxed version and one very aggressive. Simple.

For us Muslims is the middle and moderate path.

Wearing a head-scarf is not a basic tenet of Islam. I would have thought that the basic tenets are the 5 pillars or 6 of imaan. :? (Although it does seem sometimes that muslims think it is. However that a different story!).

Secongly, Im confused. Putting the nit-picking on her dress sense aside for a second, I fail to see how Warsi is giving a "convoluted presentation of Islam". If anything she has probably done a lot more than is being given credence for. How many imams or mosque committee members have stood up and tried to represent Islam or work for their local (muslim and non-muslim community)? If she was a sell-out as it appears she is being portrayed here, then she could have easily changed her name by deed poll and denied her Muslim heritage.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

You wrote:
What did they actually say in response? did they have a defence?

also, who were these people? part of some organisation or just random individuals?

they were just saying oh she was misrepresenting us..to which i just said how dare you talk about misrepresentation you on a weekly basis on a local scale and on a nation scale..who the hell are you to judge this woman..then i just walked off cos i didnt wanna slap the guy.

Amal wrote:
Secondly, Im confused. Putting the nit-picking on her dress sense aside for a second, I fail to see how Warsi is giving a "convoluted presentation of Islam". If anything she has probably done a lot more than is being given credence for. How many imams or mosque committee members have stood up and tried to represent Islam or work for their local (muslim and non-muslim community)?

In the recent past (talking post iraq war past here), quite a few imams and scholars did stand up and present a voice etc, maybe not as loud as should be, but collectively they were given a smack, accused of extremism and then sort of scurried back to their safe grounds with their tales behind their legs.

As for Barroness Warsi, she was seen as an apologist. I have not read much of her own views (or I have forgotten them), but she was often portrayed as being the apologist for the conversatives - some of who did/do have some ... less than wanted views about Islam and Muslims.

Either way, her views and what she stands for should be evaluated and re evaluated over time and I have no idea what she stands for.

Pages