Saudi journalist recieves 60 lashes

A female journalist in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to 60 lashes over a TV show in which a Saudi man described his extra- marital sex life.

The programme, made by Lebanese satellite network LBC, caused a huge scandal in conservative Saudi Arabia when it was shown several months ago. The journalist is one of two female LBC employees who have been arrested.

Seems a bit harsh on the journalists. And 1000 lashes for the defendant and 5 years in jail and two years for his friends just because they appeared on the show.

Why did the second word need to be "female" in that article?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Yh i kinda noticed that aswel.....western media perhaps putting the emphasis on the fact a female is recieving the lashes and how cruel the legal system is to women especially......IMO that was one reason for the use of 'female' in that article.

Idiot, was he on a suicide mission? Talking about his intimate life live on telly... Silly Billy.

He tearfully apologised but was jailed for five years and sentenced to 1,000 lashes.

I'm pretty sure the Qur'an mentions lashes as a punishment for adultery but I thought the number of lashes was either 80 or 100 (I can never remember which!!).
If someone can find the reference to it if they know which Surah it appears in - God only knows how crap I am at remembering reference points since I only ever try to make a mental note rather than a written noet! Hmph

Thanx Noor - I'd have hoped to have remembered that Surah of all Surahs since Nisa is my surname!!

The guy's still in prison for 5 years with 1000 lashes... but he's a guy,. so no international feminist movement would take him on as their reason to exist.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

On the other hand, they were punished for different things - her for something smaller: publicising what goes on and thus bringing shame on the country or something like that. Him for actually breaking the law and doing the acts, and then boasting about them.