Daawah

salaam to all..

just a quick Q about the subject Daawah..

Can someone tell me how this is done, whom this is given to..isit to both muslims and non-muslims?.. and who is allowed to give daawah (i.e only people of a high authority such as imaams,scholars etc..?)

thankyou/ws

Wa alaykum asalam wa rahmatullah,

Every Muslim is obliged to give Da'wah, whether they are very knowledgeable or not. Da'wah literally means invitation, and in this case, an invitation to Islam, yet it may not always be in the form of words. You can give Da'wah by telling people about your beliefs, explaining misconceptions etc., but if you have a good character, people will relate your character with being a Muslim, therefore it is a form of Da'wah too. Many embraced Islam in the past due to trading with the Muslims; due to their upright behaviour and honesty. Yes, Da'wah is given to both Muslims and non-Muslims, because we all have a duty to enjoin the good and forbid the evil, whether by telling a Muslim that backbiting is not appropriate behaviour for a Muslim, or explaning to a non-Muslim why we don't drink alcohol. Either way, Da'wah is given to both Muslims and non-Muslims, because we are inviting to Islam, inviting to the beautiful way of life, inviting to the good.

Regarding the methodology, there are specific series of lectures and sites which explain the methodology of Da'wah. Insha'allah I will post some later. But for non-Muslims, the priority of Da'wah is calling to Tawheed, the Oneness of Allah (swt) in His Lordship, Worship, and Names and Attributes. Even when Yusuf (AS) was asked to give the interpretations of the dreams in prison, did he just give them? No, firstly he called the prisoners to Tawheed. So regardless of what question a non-Muslim may ask, it is important to explain the concept of Tawheed in Islam to begin with, therefore we should strive to gain knowledge about this and other important aspects of Islam.

I hope this has helped somewhat, insha'allah later I will post up verses/ahadith and links for methodology of Da'wah.

Wa alaykum asalam wa rahmatullah

Just to add da'wah is not to open a book, look all holy moly and then deliver a sermon that no one will pay attention to.

Da'wah can simply be going about your daily life in a good way, treating people with kindness, combating racism, being kind and when being asked about something, explaining it.

You should (must?) also use wisdom when "giving da'wah".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i agree with You. just for a muslim to act in a good way,your supposed to anyways so it shouldn't be hard, is a da'wah. if my cousin puts on her pounding earspliting music i don't slam on the off button and tell her i can't listen to it. i just might turn the volume down to protect my ears, but just act like its aady. to tell you the truth i hold the opinion on music that if its not someone singing about bad stuff, like doing harram things and you don't get any sexual pleasure then its fine to listen too. so for instance, Eminem, he raps about a lotta bad stuff, but he also has some very touching songs, leave the bad and take the good is my opinion.

aysha ellen wrote:
i agree with You. just for a muslim to act in a good way,your supposed to anyways so it shouldn't be hard, is a da'wah. if my cousin puts on her pounding earspliting music i don't slam on the off button and tell her i can't listen to it. i just might turn the volume down to protect my ears, but just act like its aady. to tell you the truth i hold the opinion on music that if its not someone singing about bad stuff, like doing harram things and you don't get any sexual pleasure then its fine to listen too. so for instance, Eminem, he raps about a lotta bad stuff, but he also has some very touching songs, leave the bad and take the good is my opinion.

Good comment.

Don't just do something! Stand there.