Birthday's

Salaam.

I hav often been told that birthdays are not permitted in Islam.

can someone please help Me figure out why? quoting hadith etc will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

wasalaam

for the love of god!

stop creating new threads everytime you have a question, its most likely been answered somewhere else or bieng discussed somewhere else

there was a thread on something like this, do a search

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

you were born. It is a blessing from your lord. The Qur'an says celebrate the blessings of your lord.

However if you are of the camp that mawlid is not allowed, or you do not celebrate mawlid, you have no right to celebrate your own.

If you celebrate it its how you celebrate it. you can't go clubbing even if it is your birthday.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
you were born. It is a blessing from your lord. The Qur'an says celebrate the blessings of your lord.

However if you are of the camp that mawlid is not allowed, or you do not celebrate mawlid, you have no right to celebrate your own.

If you celebrate it its how you celebrate it. you can't go clubbing even if it is your birthday.

I defo celebrate mawlid, i am an oldhamer. regular at nagina mosque infact.

But dont birthdays come under, imitating a nation. so your sayin a lil family gathering etc is a-ok?

N header, i mean HayDUH, stop moaning, until u become a mod, u hold no power, if this topic been discussed link it u cry baby. :evil:

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Hey Razor iv heard that celebrating birthdays is haram because what you should be doin is prayin to Allah and askin him to give you the strength to look after your parents as they did bring you up and cared for you wen u was little. also how can your birthday be more precious than the prophet SAWS i mean what exactly do you do then do you pray n do you talk of his struggle for islam. i mean think bout it sorry if its confusin but thats how i understand it.

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

here we go again :roll: :roll: :roll:

why do things get repeated a trillion times on this forum

why do u need to bother? :roll:

firstly sister f020855, haraam is something that hs been explicitly banned in the qur'an, and denying it is haraam is kufr. Calling something not haraam haraam is a grave sin.

Secondly, Quran 10:58

Quote:
Say: In the bounty of Allah and in His mercy: therein let them rejoice. It is better than what they hoard.

We are told to celebrate his favours. Is birth not a favour? Is life not a favour?

Oh and if it is haraam, where in the qur'an does it explicitly ban it? That is the definition of haraam (it must explicitly be banned).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"razor" wrote:
Salaam.

I hav often been told that birthdays are not permitted in Islam.

can someone please help Me figure out why? quoting hadith etc will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

wasalaam

apparently they say birhdays bring you 1 year closer to your death so you shouldnt celebrate them.

Actions speak louder than words!

at the same time birth is a blessing, and with age you are gonna get wiser. Once dead you cannot sin any further, so its a fine line.

Hmmm, well muslims have been given the 2 Eids to celebrate Smile as for celebrating birthdays, what is there to celebrate... the fact that we are a year older and closer to death? Make dua instead and just treat it as an ordinairy day... Its not good when people have a big party, instead they can just meet a few friends or spend with family doing family stuff Biggrin well from what I have read thats what I think on this topic :?

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

I am not talking about HOW they celebrate it. After all fasting is a way to celebrate, and so is Dua.

Is being given an extra year to lie not a blessing? think of all those who died in the past year. You have been blessed t stillbe alive. Ofcourse life is a blessing.

Oh and the eid's do not have exclusivity on celebration. Some people celebrate the start of raadan as well as anything else that can be celebrated.

Celebrating the blessing from god is a good thing, if not a requirement.

[b]well, I did say from what I have read... also, where in the Quran does it say muslims can celebrate their birthdays? Did our Prophet Muhammed saw celebrate his birthday? NO!

the prophet saw said [i]" When I came upon you, you had two days that you continued to celebrate from the jahiliiyyah; indeed Allah has substituted them for you with what is better: the day of sacrifice and the day of fitr" [/i](Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and others; authentic)

I hear ur point about being given another year to live, while many others die, well take this opportunity to make dua and remember Allah for what he has given us..and spend time with the family Biggrin [/b]

"Princess_Of_Terror" wrote:
[b]well, I did say from what I have read... also, where in the Quran does it say muslims can celebrate their birthdays? Did our Prophet Muhammed saw celebrate his birthday? NO!

[/b]

were does the quran say that we can come on the revival forums?

wer does it say that we can have pizza for lunch?

wer does it say we can use herbal essence shampoo?

wer does it say we can use aqua fresh tooth paste?

wer does it say that we can listen to the radio?

(my list can go on and on and on)

point is quran and hadith dont tell us to do all of the above but it aint haraam if we do it

use ur common sense

and for ur info Prophet (pbuh) used to fast on the day he was born

TO COMMEMORATE THE OCCASION

Well, personal hygiene is something we all should practice!! We arent talking about particular brands here, was colgate invented in the days the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was alive?! But birthdays were around werent they :S And as I said before, I am just typing what I know from what I have read and heard... dint mean 2 offend anybody :shock:

but radio wasnt around then

nor was internet

nor was Sky-Islam channel/Geo

nor wer cars, buses, trains or planes

and no where does it say in the quran that we can use these things

so are they all wrong?

You have missed my point (from my 1st post on this issue) ahh well Sad If you want to celebrate birthdays go ahead, as for the prophet fasting on his birthday, if that is what u categorise as celebrating fair enough, but I meant people going to parties and free mixing when I am talking about "celebrating" birthdays. You have misinterpreted it, not to worry these things happen Smile Salaam

well, I did say from what I have read... also, where in the Quran does it say muslims can celebrate their birthdays? Did our Prophet Muhammed saw celebrate his birthday? NO!

Actually, YES

He fasted every monday. One of the reasons because he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was born on a monday.

Quote:
the prophet saw said [i]" When I came upon you, you had two days that you continued to celebrate from the jahiliiyyah; indeed Allah has substituted them for you with what is better: the day of sacrifice and the day of fitr" [/i](Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and others; authentic)

I hear ur point about being given another year to live, while many others die, well take this opportunity to make dua and remember Allah for what he has given us..and spend time with the family Biggrin

That hadith does not negate any other celebrations, just promote two.

Besides the Islamic principle is everything is allowed unless it is banned, and not the other way around. I do not understand why that is so hard to grasp. The burden of proof should be on the one saying it is wrong, not the one who says it is ok.

As I mentioned earlier, there are halaal ways to celebrate and haraam. You cannot go clubbing even on your birthday. Free intermixing is not allowed.That is just the way it is.

Blame the action, not the event.

u can celebrate anything really, coz anything we have is a blessing frm Allah SWT

now the issue is how u celebrate it - if u spend the day with family, a lil food n cake, thanking Allah swt ....its basically a day in your life to look at the past n present and thank Allah swt

thats what i'd class as a birthday, perfectly allowed

A lil outing with friends doesnt do any harm either, as long as you dont do anything dodgy....we have outings anyway so cant see the prob their either

is go karting haraam? Nah

is goin on my b'day? nah, didnt think so either

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

yea, its HOW u celebrate.. well said Smile best 2 avoid extravagance and free mixing ect

yup, thats common sense really

so its not wrong to celebrate then is it

we usually have a family gathering, duaa and some food

cant be anything wrong with that

oh, and i plan on celebrating leaving Uni Inshallah.........or is that HARAAAAAAAAM coz the beloved prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) never did?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

mocking people and sarcasm not a good characteristic is it :?: If u want to mock the fact that certain things werent done by the prophet...go ahead...I was just making a point...no need to get all fussed up
:o go ahead and celebrate what u want ..you have all missed my point :x Sad

mocking people and sarcasm not a good characteristic is it :?: If u want to mock the fact that certain things werent done by the prophet...go ahead...I was just making a point...no need to get all fussed up

princess dont get all worked up over it,there are a few hypocrites in this forum,they say we cant say something is najaiz,but they have the righs to say it is jaiz :roll:

Actions speak louder than words!

"MastKuri" wrote:

princess dont get all worked up over it,there are a few hypocrites in this forum,they say we cant say something is najaiz,but they have the righs to say it is jaiz :roll:

accusing someone of a munafiq is a very big claim.... i would refrain from such accusations pls...

let me add a few words to this issue and other related topics...

most people here do not underestand the [b]concept of bid'ah[/b]- that is why they accuse almost everyone and label everything new as bidah.
Med, naj, mast kuri etc.... are very quick to state something is bidah...but dont know or clarify if it is bidah hasanah, sayyiah etc as classified by our classical scholars.
Just because something was done by the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) or the sahabah (ra) that doesnt mean we cant do that act. that act will be a bidah but a bidah hasanah and not sayiaah. Example- Mawlid is a bidah hasanah.... the prophet never really celebrated it like ppl do today, neither the sahabah but MAJORITY of the classical scholars in Islam have said it is totally permissible and even reccomended to celebrate the birth of the Prophet (saw). The classical scholars have not said ' oh the prophet didnt do it- bidah, hell fire, wrong'...like some ppl do today, and a few from this forum. Theh classical scholars including Asqalani, Suyuti, Nawawi, Ibn Kathir etc have said yes it is bidah, but a good bidah.

So next time anyone shouts bidah, do some research on the topic, what is teh definition and classification of bidah, what have teh classical scholars said on the matter, etc...
IF EVERYONE DID THIS WE WOULDNT HAVE SO MUCH CONFUSION, ACCUSATIONS AND FITNA TODAY.... and this forum will be more productive, useful, peaceful, beneficial etc.

"MastKuri" wrote:

You see in islam there is this concept that everything is allowed unless forbidden. The onus is on you to prove it is forbidden.

Common sense really.

Hayder; try not mocking on such issues. It just prolongs the arguments.

Princess; I believe I replied to your first post, that it is not all doom and gloom. While we are colser to death, we are also a bit wiser, have been given the gift if life for a bit longer, and still have the chance to become beter muslims.

Once again, everything is allowed unless it is banned. On this argument is no doubt, but for some reason peole always ignore it.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
[
most people here do not underestand the [b]concept of bid'ah[/b]- that is why they accuse almost everyone .

lemme just say....i dont think anyone is accusing anyone here, if voicing what 1 believes is known as accusing 2 some then its their bad..if i believe such and such is wrong its what i believe right, u may not find that
wrong but it does not mean im accusing 1.

Take your question to the Ulema. Also look up the origins of Birthday celebrating where it began, how it's done today and who primarily does it, make up your own mind. Any discussion here always comes to a halt because what the masses say must be accepted, or anarchy breaks loose. I thght having a discussion meant ppl could offer "different" opinions, based on Islamic sources of course, not our own whims. But differing opinions are seen as offensive, so we better not differ, tis a form of rebellion.

i thin our day of birth should be a time of reflection as to how much we have done to please Allah... i dont celebrate my birthday cause the reality is that we r getting closer to our graves...we nt gettin younger, r we???

Gossip is the most destructive thing in the universe...

yashmaki you are right.

We do and probably alway will go into an argument.

However it is not 'haraam', as it has not been banned inthe qur'an.

The rest is up for argument.

:twisted:

Besides getting closer to death is not necessarily a bad thing. But the blessing of life is a blessing.

salaam, i wasnt mocking you nor your comments, apologies if it came across that way

its jus the way that the debates always end up here, thats all i was sayin

"naj" wrote:

lemme just say....i dont think anyone is accusing anyone here

ahaan :roll:

jus like you didnt excuse me of bieng two-faced, and ur MastCurry chum didnt call us hypocrites

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Admin" wrote:

:twisted:

Besides getting closer to death is not necessarily a bad thing. But the blessing of life is a blessing.

since i learnt how to read paryer every year I've read two rakah "shukrane" nafl on my B'day

mums makes me

being blessed with another year to live-still time to do tobah etc is a good thing

but some dont like getting older-such people wouldnt obvioulsy not celebrate their b'day

Pages