Islam and Boxing

Salaam,

Boxing, what a beautiful sport. A sport of warriors and tough nuts, some may call them idiots, some, call them heroes (for some reason).

Im a big fan of boxing, always have been, since the days of Nigel Benn, I followed the career of Prince Naseem Hamid from start to abrupt end. And now, britain has a new boxing "prodigy" by the name of Amir Khan.

Now, Islam teaches us to be peaceful people and not to hurt anybody unnecessarily. Now we all know boxing is a brutal sport. Ive seen many fights, which have ended in disaster, where one fighter has been disabled, in the cases of Micheal Watson by the hands of Chris Eubank, or Gerald Mclellan by the hands of Nigel Benn. Or even, fighters have been killed due to injuries sustainded, in the recent case of Leavander Johnson, who, about a month ago, fought Jesus Chavez, and died in hospital after the fight, due to injuries from the fight.

My questions are, is a muslim allowed to become a professional boxer?

Also, how about a muslim, learning boxing as a form of exercise or self defense, is it permitted?

Also a matter of concern to me is, are we allowed to watch boxing?

Please state your opinions, and please state why you feel that way.

Razor

Peace and fruityness to all Biggrin

Wasalaam.

my dear fruity....

dont worry ya aint gona become a boxer, u gotta be quick in the ring, and the only thing ur quick at is gettin to the dinner table Wink

well as far as i know, its voluntary and its a sport....and the sahaba used to grapple (wrestling without the SmackDown! lol) as a pastime and form of excercising

i aint no molvi, but i would think its ok.

Why your so addicted to boxing is another question completely! :roll:

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

In my opinio amatuer is leggit and professional isn't simply because in amatuer you get to wear head gear and in professional you don't.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

and the significance of that bieng ..............?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

amateur boxing is permitted, maybe.

the professional not.
want to knw y? ask ur molviji

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

hes not online at the moment

do you know why?

and does that mean no watching it?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

yea its alrite 2 become a proffesional boxer as long as you dont take it too seriously and combine it with islam at the same time meaning dont leave islam for fame basically

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

you are not supposed to hit another in the face.

In amatuer boxing you wear those helmet things... its both under the same ruling IMO.

disliked.

However sparring is a brilliant form of exercise.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

However sparring is a brilliant form of exercise.

yyeesss exercise....

[size=7]note to self: stop using it as a form of punishment.[/size]

Back in BLACK

i have heard that professional boxing is not allowed due to the hadith which forbids a Muslim from striking anyone's face.

Quote:
Also, how about a muslim, learning boxing as a form of exercise or self defense, is it permitted?

i dont see y not, in fact this would probably be encouraged because muslims are supposed to exercise regularly/ keep fit.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Ive heard a hadith saying you shouldnt strike someone on the face, and in boxing, be it amateur of pro, head strikes are required.

I shouldve called this thread "Islam and Fighting".

For many year me and my cousins have done different forms of martial arts, Jiu Jitsu, Karate and a lil kick boxing. And often when i get together with my cousins, we spar, altho we dont really do face strikes, we do use a lot of body punching be it punches, elbows, knee strikes or kicks, and it is normally very punishing (painful aswell).

Now what Hayder said about the sahaba doin grappling (also known as Jiu Jitsu) is one thing. But fighting, or "sparring" is another. Ive always wondered whether it was ok to do this, if you know that you will definatly bruise ya body and ya opponents (cousins) body, and also that it will hurt for days. Permitted, or not.

And can someone state a hadith or fatwa on the matter please.

Wasalam.

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

We should all learn martials art and train to keep ourselves mentally and physicaly strong. The jews have their own martial arts (krav-manga) as well as sikhs. we need to be strong to protect ourselves and family, i recommend thai-boxing its adapted for streets and conditions your body.

buy a gun. It'll beat a karate chop anyday of the week.

If you get caugt you never heard of me.

There are 'muslim' martial arts aswell... dunno what it is called.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

guns take the fun out of it lol, i know escrima and kali are muslim martial arts of malaysia and the philiphines they are rare to find those clubs

ne idea on what type of styles they are?

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

violent

In China ther was a province where muslims lived (i.e. settlers) probably few hundred years ago, they were called Hui (no idea why and stuff) and amongst other things they developed a type of martial art I think called spring legged boxing or something. (note oriental boxing is not western boxing).

And as for head strikes in amatuer, truee but the helmet acts as a shield right? :?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"razor" wrote:
ne idea on what type of styles they are?

salaam razor, there mainly weopen based arts learn to kick ass with knives, sticks, swords , khobutons , staffs.

when the americans invaded the philiphines , they used to ambush them in the jungles and slice off the necks using kali, so americans went around with leather straps around their necks. they are still refered to as leather necks in some parts of the philiphines.

Salaam

if boxing is allowed......

why is it when Prince Naseem was talking about his comeback, he was asked whether he would fight Sir Amir Khan (if Ed was the queen!)..... he said, 'No, i wouldnt fight a fellow muslim"

surely its wrong to fight anyone then?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

If you look at the basic term of boxing, you right it does seem like a blood sport which goes against islam but I don't really think it is that bad. These boxers are well train, each fighter have trained 4 months to be in that ring and it not a case of just going into the ring and trying to knock the other fighter head off. I think apart from Tyson, who every punch was a knockout punch, the fighter today are much more tactical. It much more like a game of chess then anything. It require alot of courage and thinking when you in the ring, it ain't as brutal as people think, the death rate is very low due to the fact that medical are always taken before a fight.

Boxing also create alot of character and is one reason that alot of boxers convert to islam. They are used to the diclipine and willing to give their all, It a sport that you have too put 100% into to gain anything from.
Well I think that we look too these boxers as role model not because they box but because the way they carry themselves. Ali and Hamed got as much press for what they did outside the ring as much as they did for what they did inside the ring. They also brought Islam to alot of people as well who, were not that aware of islam. Ali himself is one of the reason that alot of black look too islam as he has always projected it well. He the biggest sports star alive today.

On a answer on islamonline, the respond were given on violent sports

Coming to the issue of practicing what maybe termed as ‘violent sports’ such as boxing or kickboxing, karate etc, Sheikh Faysal Mawlawi, deputy chairman of the European Council for Fatwa and research states:

“Practicing ‘violent sports’ depends on the intention of the person who practices them as well as the possibility of harm that may be inflicted as a result. That is why Muslim scholars state that practicing ‘violent sports’ ranges between makruh and haram. In case, there is strong possibility of an irreparable harm that may result in death or maiming one of the bodily organs, then surely practicing the sport in this case is more akin to IMPERMISSIBILITY. In case, there is less harm, the Islamic ruling is more akin to reprehensibility or karahah.

To conclude, we earnestly advise you to consider the above guidelines, and to honestly ask yourself this question: what is the aim behind practicing boxing or karate? Do I need to practice them as protective measures? Or there is another hidden aim? All in all, you should consider that Islam is not against you practicing a favorite sport or hobby but within certain parameters!

There a good article here about it that say otherwise

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//