He who Seeks (Nihavend No.34) (Dawud Wharnsby sings for British Muslim Song)

I like it. No idea what it means, even after reading the lyrics.

Listen to it and (pdf).

So... what does that even mean? More importantly, when will someone sing an ode to this site?

The lyrics quoted:

1. He who seeks the signs of Beauty
Shuns his self, then shuns his self.
He for whom union’s the duty

2. He who fasts from passing pleasures,
At the Eid knows Love itself;
He who hears of Beauty’s treasures,

3. East and West, the world he travels,
Sea and land he sees himself,
He whose knot Allah unravels

4. He whose soul finds that Beloved,
Wealth of Süleiman himself
Nothing is, when that Beloved

5. Nor in sadness nor rejoicing
Nor with friends nor by himself;
He who heaven’s love is voicing

6. In this world, and what comes after
Let him know no heedless self,
He who God recalls hereafter,

7. Hearts that tell that Beauty’s story
Cherish things past speech itself,
Every man that knows that glory

8. O my Lord, my spirit’s Healer
Grant me blessings from Yourself,
Make me one who, humble kneeler,

9. Both worlds’ treasures turn to embers
When I’m present with Yourself
Hudayi his Lord remembers,

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Seem like thoughtful lyrics.

i like it.

it's written by a turkish sufi, also the founder of the jelveti sufi order which exists in turkey.

@ Noor

Can you tell me more about it? Because I really can't get what it means. Where can I get an explanation of the original poem written by the sufi, and what is the sufi's name?

Salaam,

The references in the song to Love and Beauty are actually references to Allah. This is a very common reference in Sufi writings and beliefs where Allah is not only considered to be The Creator or The Sustainer or The Almighty but He is constantly referred to as Love or The Lover, The Light, Beauty etc. Some may find this unthinkable or sinful however Sufis do not use these terms for Allah in an impure sense rather they emphasise on Allah being One who: loves His people and His creation, is always seeking for those He loves (mankind) to come to Him and also just as importantly that he is The Lover who has a Beloved i.e. Allah has His Beloved who is His best friend, His Rasul, our Nabi (SAW). Sufi teachings also give the message of completely submitting yourself to Allah, not just to His Will but to Him altogether which means to give up all worldly gains and have your heart your mind and your soul completely immersed with love and longing for Allah. This is denoted in the above lyrics with the references to "shuns himself or his self". To "shun" is to "ignore / push away / cast away" and so the lyrics denote that the one who seeks Love / Beauty (Allah) is one who casts away him self, one who does not put him self first but puts Allah first and seeks only Him and wants only Him. I think the word Beloved was also mentioned in the lyrics and if ithat is the case and I have remembered the lyrics coorectly then I think in this case Allah is also thw Beloved as it is the human who loves Him greatly. Sufi texts are very emotive and deep yet very humble and very glorifying of Allah with as many positive terms as possible (Love, Beauty, Sweetness, Lover, etc etc) yet they can be confusing to understand until you have an understanding of Sufi traditions and beliefs. I myself am still learning and am fascinated by what seems to me to be the most peaceful group of people. There are a couple of texts I recommend for reading which are very good starting points for learning and understanding the Sufi way: The Knowing Heart, A Sufi Path of Transformation by Kabir Helminski and Wayfarere to God (about Sufi saints) by Habib Ali Zain AL Abideen Al Jifri.

I hope this helps - forgive me if you find that there are any errors or misunderstandings.