Boycotting Israel is doomed to fail

Boycotting Israel is doomed to fail

If you're really serious about boycotting Israel, you shouldn't have read this sentence. In fact, you shouldn't even have the Cif website open at all, since the Guardian quite openly employs Israelis and remunerates them for the products they provide. And in doing so, the Guardian is hardly alone: thanks in part to globalisation, and in part to the seemingly inextricable ties Israel has to the US and Europe (for starters), there is little to no chance of a complete boycott of Israel ever coming to pass and bringing the country's economy to its knees.

However, that doesn't mean that boycotting Israel is wrong in principle. It's entirely understandable to look at the atrocities carried out by Israel's leaders in the name of its people, decide that Israel's government has overstepped the mark time and again for decades and therefore want to play no part in pumping money into the Israeli system. But for a boycott to have any impact on the situation it is intended to affect, it must be applied properly and unwaveringly, across the board, across the globe...

Read more @

You wrote:
But for a boycott to have any impact on the situation it is intended to affect, it must be applied properly and unwaveringly, across the board, across the globe...

That is true but whether or not someone else boycotts Israeli goods should not affect your decision to boycott.

Its not just about boycotting Israeli products.
Why do you think the Israeli economy is so strong? Its because Jews in general live in a very tight knit community, building there economy up from the inside. Any member of a Jewish community will always opt to buy from their own people before venturing to buy from outsiders - which is why they are so successful,

On the same note if you look at the history of the Islamic empires, the Muslims were at the peak of their superiority when they were living as an Ummah, or in close knit communities.
The problem we face today is that we as an ummah rely to much on outsiders, we wouldn't have half as many problems if we like the Jews built our community up from the inside (and therefor making it all the more stronger).

Look for instance at large super stores who have started to produce Halal meat along with other things for their Muslim customers, we now see an awful lot of Muslim buying from these supermarkets rather than their local Halal butchers, and so rather than the money staying within and helping to build up our own economy, we see it constantly going to other branches etc.

Its nothing complicated, Its simple logic.

Organic

Urban.rust wrote:
Why do you think the Israeli economy is so strong?

Because of the £3billion+ of yearly US aid? It's not like them have hundreds of millions of residents etc...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Urban.rust wrote:
On the same note if you look at the history of the Islamic empires, the Muslims were at the peak of their superiority when they were living as an Ummah, or in close knit communities.

But were not many of the Muslim "heroes", role models etc also killed by Muslims?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You: Do you want to have a discussion about the schisms of Muslim Communities past -Or, shall we discuss the reasons why our Ummah is failing today and how we can rebuild it?

Organic

We can have both (preferably in different topics though), but my point was that the past was not perfect and it does not always stand up the the legend.

As for boycotting Israeli products - I am in favour of it, but at the same time I realise that it is not something that will hurt Israel - all it wil do is clear your conscience - which in itself is a good thing.

But there is also a further element to it where due to globalisation it simply is not possible to boycott ever product. Did you know that corriander is something that is imported from Israel to the UK?

And then there are products whose boycott could actually hurt the Palestinians. They must be exporting something - but since the country is actually "Israel"...

and then there are other issues such as the "Coke factor". I used to be a heavy coke drinker (Pepsi taste crap, so no Pepsi, even though on the international boycott stage it used to supply the arabs while Coke to the Israelis) and a few years ago I did boycott it. It was "on the list" of products that "help Israel".

What I have found out later that Coca Cola also has separate bottling plants for the Palestinians that not only provide the beverages to them, but also employment.

A further example - The current core micro architecture in current intel processors - it was also mostly R&D'd in Israel, but the processor is mostly manufactured elsewhere.

Things are not always simple and I do not trust these lists that are circulated. In a world of globalised products, there is much crossover and not only is it not totally possible to make sure that none of your money eventually goes on products from Israel, or countries/companies supporting it (as you would have to also boycott all American products too), but the boycott could also harm the people you want to help.

A further comment - Israel is not the only place in the world where there is oppression.

If people decide to boycott products on ethical grounds, it may be a good idea to have a look at where the products are coming from.

I hear free market coffee is good. Anything else?

so has anyone here boycotted or trying hard to boycott Israeli goods? I rarely bring this topic up because I remember bringing it up yrs ago and i was basically ridiculed for it. I was basically told every company gives to Israel, so why boycott anything, will be impossible. Bit of an exaggeration I think.

Just before this Gaza massacre began I remember receiving forward texts by well meaning friends "boycott makkies, marks, and that coffee shop i always forget the name of. They are giving entire weeks takings to Israel. This has been going on for decades, ppl didn't care they carried on eating their fries, mcflurries and fillet o'fish. I hope ppl keep up with boycotting, whether it effects israel severely or not i think it's a moral, ethical and religious obligation.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
so has anyone here boycotted or trying hard to boycott Israeli goods? I rarely bring this topic up because I remember bringing it up yrs ago and i was basically ridiculed for it.

Shame that - and I know that my sentiment may be seen close to ridiculing the idea too, but its not.

I do think its a good idea to try to source your goods from good reputable sources, but I have a distrust of lists and I do not think the actions are much more than keeping your own conscience clear - any deficit Israel feels will be cleared through other "aid programmes".

Saying that, keeping your conscience clear is a good step - at least you do not have blood on your hands then. A small step.

I have not done anything to change my shopping habits since the current action because there is not much out there that I spend money on atm anyway.

You wrote:
And then there are products whose boycott could actually hurt the Palestinians. They must be exporting something - but since the country is actually "Israel"...

I hope you clicked on the link above.

6. These companies operate in Muslim countries providing Muslims with Jobs - isn't boycotting them going to harm ourselves?

It is true that most of the companies on the list have operations in Muslim countries and employ Muslims who would loose their jobs if the companies collapsed or pulled out. But we have to look at this as a opportunity, not a loss.

Take the example of Coca-Cola in the middle east, the boycott has hit them so hard that their sales are down 60%. This has created an opportunity for a Muslim alternative, ZamZam Cola of Iran, which is owned by the religious charity the Foundation of the Dispossessed, to take Coca-Colas share of the market. Zam Zam Cola is struggling to keep up with demand - it exceeded all expectations by selling four million cans in its first week. It is now planning to expand by build factories in the gulf states, helping provide local employment. And for the first time even European countries like Denmark, are importing ZamZam Cola.

Similar success stories can be told of Sainsburys closer in Egypt in April 2001, which resulted in a blossoming of local stores which would not have otherwise survived in an unfair market monopolised by a foreign giant.

Also lets not forget that the reason why the multinationals have set up in Muslim countries is not out of benevolence for us, but rather exploitation. Take the example of Delta Galil - the Israeli textile giant whos cloths are sold under the labels GAP, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, BOSS, M&S and DKNY among others. The Israeli company has factories in Jordan and Egypt in addition to Palestine. Their treatment of workers is such that Sweatshop Watch has denounced Delta-Galils exploitation of Arab labour, calling it a "Sweatshop Czar". Is it really a loss to us to see such companies go?

MuslimBro wrote:
This has created an opportunity for a Muslim alternative, ZamZam Cola of Iran, which is owned by the religious charity the Foundation of the Dispossessed, to take Coca-Colas share of the market. Zam Zam Cola is struggling to keep up with demand - it exceeded all expectations by selling four million cans in its first week. It is now planning to expand by build factories in the gulf states, helping provide local employment. And for the first time even European countries like Denmark, are importing ZamZam Cola.

Is this the same zam zam cola that taste crap?

I am sorry, but the product should compete on its quality rather than other things.

Besides the Coca Cola has a bottling plant in Gaza. It's providing jobs to Gazans.

Zam Zam cola making money in Iran will not benefit the day to day life of the people of Gaza where due to high unemployment a single person working is at times supporting over 20 others who are not.