Arabic numerals

Salaam

We have all heard how the numbers we currently use (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0) are arabic in origin.

However us there a reason these have been abandoned in arabic for the current ones they use?

what about 4,5,6,7,8?

edit...

Or maybe these digits were not taken from arabic?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
what about 4,5,6,7,8?

Or maybe these digits were not taken from arabic?

seven is the same on closer inspection.

They probably morphed into what they are today due to small changes and mistakes over the centuries.

The arabs now use numerals derrived from the indian numerals for some reason.

Any historians out there who may wanna enlighten us why?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The west also had to add a new number to the list "O" after meeting the Aztecs - who the arabs never met.

Our number system just became more complicated and sophistocated as Europe went out into the world.

I dunno if the arabs were base ten either

yep the arabs were base ten.

The catholic church used to keep two sets of accounts from something I read earlier. one set for public viewing written in roman numerals, and one set they actually used, is arabic numerals as they were easier for mathematics.

Just like the maffia. One version for themselves, one version for the authorities.

that site is pretty good, with good drawing to explain the evolution!

edit

I mean the one mentioned by dave:

I will also look at the other one, suggested by 100...

So it was Alkhwarizmi who helped develop the number system.

His name is on loads of discoveries etc. The (better than) da vinci of the Islamic world?

I wasn't trying to trump Dave, just a cross-posting.

I know.

I was reading that site while posting, and did not make clear which site I was referring to.

You did not trump him either, as his link had far more detail. :twisted:

Actually mine didn't really talk about the Indian connection much at all.

Very interesting because they believe the European language group migrated from India as well.

It's called the proto-indo-european language group I believe.

"Constantine" wrote:
Actually mine didn't really talk about the Indian connection much at all.

Very interesting because they believe the European language group migrated from India as well.

It's called the proto-indo-european language group I believe.

go to the next few pages in your link.

(atleast read what you post!)

It goes into alot of detail, including the indian concept of zero, and how the numbers are based off the abacus. It also suggests a third culture that had the concept of zero. The babylonians.

oh

didn't notice that next page thing on the bottom

...well there ya have it

Salam

Arabs took the numbers from Hindus and passed them on to the Europeans via Islamic Spain.

Arabs were using ten digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

While the Europeans were using seven Roman letters I, V, X, L, C, D, M until the 17th century to write all numerical values.

Respectively, these seven Roman letters stand for 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000.

Hence, 786 would be written as DCCLXXXVI.

1988 = MCMLXXXVIII.

To practice, try to write birthdays of your family member in Roman.

Now you really appreciate the service Muslims had done in Mathematics.

I need practice too. I made so many errors.

Omrow

as far as i'm aware that is correct Omrow