Is it coz I is Muslim?

As'salaamu 'alaykum,

Quote:

Teenage bomb plot accused cleared

Two teenagers who were accused of discussing a plot to blow up British National Party (BNP) members have been cleared of terror charges.

Waris Ali, 18, from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, was found not guilty of three counts of possession of an article for a terrorist purpose.

His school friend Dabeer Hussain, 18, was acquitted of one count of the same charge at Leeds Crown Court.

After the 13-day trial Mr Ali said he was "extremely relieved".

Friends and family of the two men hugged in the public gallery as the jury returned their verdicts after deliberating for two and a half hours.

"I believe that if I was not from a Muslim background, I would not have been prosecuted
Waris Ali

During the trial, the court heard that the two men had discussed a plan to spy on and blow up members of the BNP.

They were both accused of possessing a terrorist manual on their computers, called the Anarchists' Cookbook, and researching bomb-making techniques from "recipes" on the internet.

Mr Ali, of Dearnley Street, Dewsbury, was also accused of buying and storing significant amounts of potassium nitrate and calcium chloride, chemicals which can be used in the preparation of a bomb.

But the teenager said he was a "prankster" who was interested in experimenting with fireworks and making smoke bombs.

Teenage chat

Mr Hussain, of Clarkson Street, Dewsbury, said he had been sent a copy of the Anarchists' Cookbook but had not read it and was not interested in politics.

Speaking outside the court after the verdicts, Mr Ali said he was "extremely relieved" that he had been cleared of the charges but was angry about how he had been treated.

"I believe that if I was not from a Muslim background, I would not have been prosecuted," he said.

"I have had to live in fear of being branded a terrorist.

"I feel it was completely obvious once the police looked up the evidence that I had nothing to do with terrorism at all.

"Silly teenage chat and things I said at school were taken out of context and presented as if it was evidence that I was an extremist."

Sometimes us Muslims suffer from chronic victim mentality - its a disease that stops us from introspective insights and positive development of ourselves and our community.

I am sure that we're all aware of the pervasive misconceptions about Islam, and the deeply held anti-muslim beliefs and sentiments of some. I know from personal experience the wide-spread islamophobic beliefs/high level of ignorance of others.

The above news story paints a picture of typical teenagers getting up to mischief, like thousands of others up and down the country. Does the teenager have a point - did he get prosecuted because of his muslim background? Would a non-muslim teenager be prosecuted under terror charges? How much of this is playing the martyr and paranoia, and how much of it is true?

wednesday wrote:
em if it's cos I is a Muslim, then I is a Human too... and so is the other person (Human)

As opposed to being anything other than human.
Animal maybe?

I think sometimes Muslims let their emotions get the better of them. We all need to to keep our cool ans be very careful what we say in public places as some ppl will twist what you say into something bad.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

But there is discriminaton against Muslims, right?

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

wednesday wrote:
Courage wrote:
But there is discriminaton against Muslims, right?

only if you think so

your either very naive or you just pretend that it doesnt exist.

(Im talking about discrimination generally)

wednesday wrote:
Me thinks we have had this discussion before, but anyways yes, yes discrimination does exist

but it is only highlighted when the victim higlights it otherwise, it's neither a fad nor a classic but a stable graph...

and i think i've said this before... Nothing's a scene unless you make it a scene

eveythings a scene promotion makes it a bigger scene.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

wednesday wrote:
Me thinks we have had this discussion before, but anyways yes, yes discrimination does exist

but it is only highlighted when the victim higlights it otherwise, it's neither a fad nor a classic but a stable graph...

and i think i've said this before... Nothing's a scene unless you make it a scene

Is racism wrong? Or is it only wrong if society says so? So before the civil rights campaign it was OK to be racist? During the arpatheid it was OK?

Courage wrote:

Is racism wrong? Or is it only wrong if society says so? So before the civil rights campaign it was OK to be racist? During the arpatheid it was OK?

Hey! Stop copying my articles! (only joking, I'm rather flattered, actually)

labelling/discrimination/racism is a natural trait. We can wail and scream until the sun goes down, but the way we can stamp it out is by offereing the olive branch to the labeller/discriminator/racist.

If they weren't ignorant about a particular group (whether its Muslims or another group), then they wouldn't fear that group. And if they didn't fear the group then they wouldn't label/discriminate/be racist.

Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong. I really do truly hope I'm not, though.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

It's not plaigerism, I'm just passing on stuff I've learnt from you.