Hurricane Rita

Big argument between Nagin and Bush on reentry.

Bush is saying no way Rita is coming, Nagin is saying it's important to rebuild the economy as fast as possible.

Frankly in it's fragile state I don't see how NO could handle a hit.

This guy Nagin seems to be pinning everything on Bush but only having delayed evacuation and deferred on pretty much all his powers. I don't know this for sure but he seems about as credible as the guy who was supposed to send me his proposals by 5 o' clock, which is not at all.

He's a bit of a flake. I liked him at first but now it's pretty clear to me he just caved under the stress. Guilliani he is not.

I am furious at Bush for the federal disaster, but Nagin is no angel - the guy left 200 busses behind to drown, rather than using them to take people out.

The busses - incidentally - were brought by the feds for the specific purpose of bringint the poor out.

I think it's pretty fair to blame the Bush admin for not securing the levees, but Nagin has a great deal of culpability in this evacuation mess.

Pretty much all levels of government failed.

According to the news Hurrican Rita could reach the maximum Category 5 in the central Gulf and then weaken slightly as it moves west. Its most likely course would take it to the Texas coast by the end of the week hitting Galveston which was last struck by a storm in 1900 where 8000 people where killed, supposedly the most deadliest U.S. hurricane.
On its present course Hurricane rita poses a risk to the whole Houston region.
Due to the terrible response to hurricane Katrina authorities have pre-positioned supplies and were checking communication system and is said to have sent a Coast Gurad Admiral to Texas coordinating the response.
Oil companies still recovering from Katrina evacuated Gulf oil rigs as Rita moved towards major production areas. Crude oil rose from $1.45 per barrel to $67.65.

Looks like they're in for a windy weekend.

Back in BLACK

(Seraph, you mean crude oil prices rose [b]by[/b] $1.45. I just checked and came up with a slightly lower figure. It is pretty naff how much prices get jacked up in the speculative futures market and then taken on as real prices, seems legit because of events and 'market forces' but it ain't IMHO.)

Anyway my thoughts are with Texans, hope they've learnt from Katrina and get out sharpish.

In the UK getting petrol to the pumps, including profits by the companies is only 27p per litre.

We pay around 90+p.

The chancellor blames OPEC.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"100" wrote:
(Seraph, you mean crude oil prices rose [b]by[/b] $1.45. I just checked and came up with a slightly lower figure. It is pretty naff how much prices get jacked up in the speculative futures market and then taken on as real prices, seems legit because of events and 'market forces' but it ain't IMHO.)

Anyway my thoughts are with Texans, hope they've learnt from Katrina and get out sharpish.

Knowing Texans I can promise you their houses will be boarded up, all their stuff will be nailed to the floor, they will have all their raincoats handy and will stand outside their houses with their shotguns ready to say hello to the hurricane Texas style.

And then they will have a fiesta.

There will probably be a lot of Queso Fundido and Tequila involved.

Texas is a wonderful place

back to hurricane rita... its a sad irony - ppl fled their homes in new orleans and went to texas, now its texas thats under threat. Cray 2

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I think most of the refugees are in houston... they must be terrified.

Hopefully it will die down by the time it makes landfall - and the astrodome is pretty tough.

I wonder why all of sudden these hurricanes are moving through the keys so far into the gulf - I don't recall anything like this

Some people say that this disaster is a punishment for the US for the aggression it exercises against other peoples and, as such, they rejoice at the victims' misfortune and, of course, are not ready to show any form of help to those victims.

but IMO no one can say for sure that such a disaster is a punishment from Allah, because it is among the unseen matters which no one knows except Allah Almighty.

I was actually intimating global warming

"Constantine" wrote:
I was actually intimating global warming

that werent me point...im talkin hearsay

Well global warming is a fact of life.

The causes are for some reason being argued.

I do not see it as something we can reverse. We seem to have reached the point of no return.

The oceans are supposedly taking in less CO2 over the last couple of years... The ice caps may have also reached their limits.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It is very likely affected by global warming.

"kuri/19" wrote:
Some people say that this disaster is a punishment for the US for the aggression it exercises against other peoples and, as such, they rejoice at the victims' misfortune and, of course, are not ready to show any form of help to those victims.

but IMO no one can say for sure that such a disaster is a punishment from Allah, because it is among the unseen matters which no one knows except Allah Almighty.

You know, my 12 year old talks more sense then grown ups sometimes. Actually, strike that - all the time. She heard that argument I-m so happy the other day from someone - they weren't talking to her but around her - I'd tear nine shade off them if they were so negative in convo with my kids. But she told me when she came home and said, maybe Allaah didn't do this to punish the US - maybe he did this to test how caring the rest of us really are.

And you know, I may not wish such heartache and devastation on anyone, but I was ashamed - what the heck have I done to help?

~Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.~

"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die" ~ Bill Watterson

Aphro your kid talks alot of sense!

Subhanallah!!

you have very wonderful kids

good goin Mom Wink

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Just talked to a friend of mine in San Antonio that was saying they are getting prepared but there has been an incredible problem with refugees both from lousiana and from the coast of Texas, Hurricane Rita now looks like it is a bigger storm than everybody imagined and Houston as well as much of Texas is on sea level. So they are looking at some pretty bad flooding - but not the drainage problems of New Orleans.

Well according to the news, the hurricane has drited eastwards... so that at a minimum it will brush NO.

A few poulous areas are being fully evacuated in Texas...

See that's bad... Texas is already the destination for the NO refugees, as well as the coastal Texan refugees.

It's flat with lots of rivers (esp san antonio).

Perhaps the worst part is that they almost never get hurricanes so this is going to be kind of a new thing...

Quote:
[size=18]Storm overcomes New Orleans levee[/size]

Water is pouring over a patched-up levee in New Orleans, increasing fears that rains brought by Hurricane Rita could flood the city again.

Army engineers have warned that flood defences damaged by Hurricane Katrina can only cope with 15cm (6in) of rain.

A stream of water at least nine metres (30ft) wide was reported to be spilling into the low-lying Lower Ninth Ward.

About two million people have fled the Texas and Louisiana coasts ahead of Hurricane Rita's arrival.

The storm, still a powerful Category Four hurricane, is expected to make landfall in Texas late on Friday local time. ...

[url= News[/url]

bump

Quote:
[size=18]British scientist calls US climate sceptics 'loonies'[/size]

The chairman of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution, Sir John Lawton, has called climate change deniers in the US "loonies", and says global warming is to blame for the increasingly strong hurricanes being spawned in the Atlantic.

In an interview with The Independent, Lawton said that global warming is "very likely" the cause of increasingly intense hurricanes, in line with computer simulations.

He told the paper: "If this [the arrival of Hurricane Rita] makes the climate loonies in the States realise we've got a problem, some good will come out of a truly awful situation."

Lawton was speaking as Hurricane Rita is growing in strength in the Gulf of Mexico and the region prepares for another battering...

[url=

However the current hurricane cycle may just be the natural cycle of the area... so once again it is not certain...

Though the global weather turmoil seems to suggest a link...

"Admin" wrote:
However the current hurricane cycle may just be the natural cycle of the area... so once again it is not certain...

Though the global weather turmoil seems to suggest a link...

I think it's definitely global warming.

The ones calling this a natural cycle are the ones who have been saying there is no such thing as global warming for 30 years.

fools