Forced Mortgage . . .

Assalam Alaikum

No it's not a spelling error, it says forced mortgage. the current financial crisis is big news, mostly self inflicted but a crisis nonetheless. The reason i create this thread is simple, due to the extremely material world that we live in it's been easier than ever to access material wealth - or debt to be precise. In this country and most of the world the requirement of a mortgage is essential in order to buy a house - there are many scholarly opinions on the matter with Imam Abu Hanifa's (r.a) being one used amongst a general consensus- however the issue lies upon the amount being borrowed ; amount borrowed against income.
Unfortunately for many young Muslims today, their parents always want the best for their children (or their own ego . . .) and a house is very much top of the list, anothers child has got a new bungalow and now the pressure is on to emulate the feat however peoples situations are different though and incomes vary, so those that earn less are forced to take out a mortgage (maybe up to fifteen times their salary!) in order to 'keep up'. this type of behaviour will only create bankruptcy and a person should only borrow what is repayable and buy a house based upon neccessity rather than the prestige.

i am wondering how many of you have been put in such a position or know of anyone that has, it could just be this is an isolated and bizarre case.

If you just rent for now, hous prices will have a free fall in the near future.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Courage wrote:
If you just rent for now, hous prices will have a free fall in the near future.

What are you on about? House prices have fallen and are gonna decline even more come the next couple of years. More ppl are now resorting to renting which means rent prices have gone up.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Emulate shemulate. Its unreasonable to ask any1 to try to keep up with other ppl who are "supposedly" doing so well that they can afford a bungalow.
Jst bcoz my brother owns a house with his wife, doesnt mean we expect the same from everyone else. Each situation is different and will revolve on its own facts (as my cousin likes to say).

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

Midnight wrote:
Emulate shemulate. Its unreasonable to ask any1 to try to keep up with other ppl who are "supposedly" doing so well that they can afford a bungalow.
Jst bcoz my brother owns a house with his wife, doesnt mean we expect the same from everyone else. Each situation is different and will revolve on its own facts (as my cousin likes to say).

Competition is in human nature.

Back in BLACK

It isnt just confined to owning your own home, but embodies a plethora of material posessions: cars, clothes, food, furniture etc. Keeping up with the Jones' is a human vice

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

There is a techinque hunters used to use:

They would stick a knife into the ground by its handle, so the blade is pointing up, and put some blood on its blade.

A wolf would come along because it smelt the blood, and was hungry. It would lick the knife and drink some of the blood. Needless to say its tongue would be cut and it would start to bleed.

But the wolf wouldn't realise this; it would drink more and more (of its own) blood, thinking it was having a wonderful meal, and would drink and drink and, of course, slowly bleed to death.

This is similar to the whole situation of wanting to own a place to call 'home', which is a perfectly natural (and not evil) human trait, even if it slowly kills you (with debt).

What I feel brother BD has done, unfortunately, is blame the wolf for wanting a drink. This is judgemental, although I'm sure you did so with the best of intentions. That does not make it acceptable. With all due respect brother, where is the 80 excuses for another Muslim? If you think good of people, then Allah (swt) will think good of you, insha'Allah.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
There is a techinque hunters used to use:

They would stick a knife into the ground by its handle, so the blade is pointing up, and put some blood on its blade.

A wolf would come along because it smelt the blood, and was hungry. It would lick the knife and drink some of the blood. Needless to say its tongue would be cut and it would start to bleed.

But the wolf wouldn't realise this; it would drink more and more (of its own) blood, thinking it was having a wonderful meal, and would drink and drink and, of course, slowly bleed to death.

This is similar to the whole situation of wanting to own a place to call 'home', which is a perfectly natural (and not evil) human trait, even if it slowly kills you (with debt).

What I feel brother BD has done, unfortunately, is blame the wolf for wanting a drink. This is judgemental, although I'm sure you did so with the best of intentions. That does not make it acceptable. With all due respect brother, where is the 80 excuses for another Muslim? If you think good of people, then Allah (swt) will think good of you, insha'Allah.

I really liked this story too Biggrin

But to me, it seems that BD Brother was trying too convery the excessive want of material posessions, and desperately keeping up and competing with others, which is in other words a mixture of greed, envy and pride. I know that in some communities in particular, this is a real problem. Pride is what brought shaitan down. I know someone who is unemployed, and who has the same qualifications as myself. They refuse/cannot? to take on a small job in Tesco for example, to make up for the shortfall in cash because of what people in the community will say, and what aunties will gossip over on tea. This is typical of the type of problems and attitudes we have in all communities unfortunately.

Everyone wants to better themselves, but we need to keep ouselves in check, failing which, we may end up in a big black hole. :?

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.