Deobandi, Barelvi &c

Hi everyone

Hope you can help me. I'm working on a research project and can't find the Islamic word for the different schools of thought, be they Deobandi, Barevi, Salafi &c. Basically, if you were trying to ask someone (in Urdu or Arabic, say) whether they were a Deobandi or a Barelvi or whatever what would the BLANK be in the following sentence: What BLANK are you?

(I suppose the analogy with Hinduism is that people might ask which caste you were, and the BLANK would be whatever the Hindi word for caste is.)

Hope I've explained that well (not sure I have), but hope you can help me and many thanks in advance.

Sam

They are not schools of thought. Schools of thought are like hanafi, Maliki, Hanbali (Ja'afri) and Sha'afi.

What you mentioned are groups/sects.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Thanks for correcting me on that, You; that's really helpful. I suppose I'm just looking for the Arabic word for 'group' or 'sect' in this context, then?

Thanks again, Sam

Have a biscuit.

The Arabic word is Madhab. There are four of them, Hanafi, Shafi, Maliki and Hambali.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Salam

sam1984 wrote:

Hope you can help me. I'm working on a research project and can't find the Islamic word for the different schools of thought.

Basically, if you were trying to ask someone (in Urdu or Arabic, say) whether they were a Deobandi or a Barelvi or whatever what would the BLANK be in the following sentence:

What BLANK are you?

Sam, if you don't mind, I would like to request that
before posting, please do take a little time to read other topics.

It would help you a lot Sam.

I know they have placed blinkers on you,
but trust me, they are not hard to take off.

Remove them and you will a whole lot more of our wonderful world.

Sam. You're a man, not a horse.

Play it again Sam.

Omrow

But he didn't know what Madhab meant did he?

Had he bothered to actually read that thread,
he would not have needed you do defend him now.

If he doesn't know what Madhab meant then why would he read it?

If Sam removed his blinkers, he would have known.

Mate, do you enjoy being spiteful to people? He didn't know what a Madhab was so that thread didn't attract his attention. Can't you just accept it? Or are you really that bored?

Thanks for that, love to live but living to die. Firka might not be quite the right word in this context, but it's very useful to know anyway.

Courage, Madhab it is, then! Many, many thanks. Much appreciated, especially the extra information listing the different Madhabs.

All best

Sam

Have a biscuit.

You're learning fast.

Brelvi, Deobandi, salafi etc are not madhabs.

As a matter of fact, both Brelvi and Deobandi follow Hanafi fiqh.

They are just Muslim groups. Generally originating from the teachings and methods and views adopted by specific scholars.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Salam

You could use the term Manhaj. For example what is your Minhaj/Manhaj something along those lines.

You're early.