"Why don't you think? Why don't you ponder?"

So guys, do you question? Do you challenge? Who or what do you challenge? And how? Do you question Islam? And how?

Your views please!

I was thinking about this recently.

Before I converted, I used to question and probe and contemplate and challenge. THis was one of the things that bought be to Islam.

But since then, I have done very little of this. On a couple of occasions I have, when someone else has bought up an issue. This needs to change, methinks.

Many Muslims' contentment at 'not knowing' the answer to things baffles me. While I agree that some questions are 'unanswerable' except by Allah (swt), I think its important to speculate sometimes.

One such issue is regarding the final destination of Christians. One of my friends bought this up a few times, and another one of my friends got so annoyed with him, he excommunicated him! That type of view/approach pretty disagreeable.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
I was thinking about this recently.

Before I converted, I used to question and probe and contemplate and challenge. THis was one of the things that bought be to Islam.

But since then, I have done very little of this. On a couple of occasions I have, when someone else has bought up an issue. This needs to change, methinks.

Many Muslims' contentment at 'not knowing' the answer to things baffles me. While I agree that some questions are 'unanswerable' except by Allah (swt), I think its important to speculate sometimes.

One such issue is regarding the final destination of Christians. One of my friends bought this up a few times, and another one of my friends got so annoyed with him, he excommunicated him! That type of view/approach pretty disagreeable.

I'm assuming that your friend was a Christian? Excommunication doesn't really happen in Islam does it, unless you go to the Mosque to cause trouble.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Personally, one of the reasons I think many young people are doing un Islamic things is because the "elders" say don't do this, Islam forbids it, but they don't say WHY?
Either because they don't know or don't have the guts to explain. Well, sorry, it won't do you or anyone any good.
How can we expect people to follow Islam if they don't see it as a solution, but instead as a backwards restraint?
No, honeslty, it winds me up! I want to rant and rave! But I know that won't do anything.
We have to know what Islam says and WHY it says it! My dad said to me: "Islam doesn't say or ban you from anything for no reason. There's always a reason for your own and everyone's sake."
I think that's what made a heck of a big difference about how I see the world and Islam. We may not know the reason at that time, but it's there, we just have to look for it. Something we're rubbish at. If we question Islam with an open mind, Inshallah, we'll understand or come closer to understanding. Defying with a close mind won't work.

OK, fair enough, somethings don't have a direct answer and somethings, even if we have an answer it won't be any use to us like, how Allah breaths or blink, Islam doesn't give an unsatisfactory answer for anything.

Unfortunately, not the same could be said for some scholars.

Courage wrote:

I'm assuming that your friend was a Christian? Excommunication doesn't really happen in Islam does it, unless you go to the Mosque to cause trouble.

He was a Christian who converted to Islam. The other friend is a born Muslim.

Courage wrote:
Personally, one of the reasons I think many young people are doing un Islamic things is because the "elders" say don't do this, Islam forbids it, but they don't say WHY?

But isn't that the reason why you shouldn't do something... bcoz Islam forbids it. Or are you talking about the "elders" not explaining about what will happen if you do the sinful act.

For example, we shouldn't neglect our prayers, why? bcoz Islam says so. As to what happens if you do, that's a different thing. There is Hikmah (wisdom) behind everything, whether we know it or not.

MuslimBro wrote:

For example, we shouldn't neglect our prayers, why? bcoz Islam says so. As to what happens if you do, that's a different thing. There is Hikmah (wisdom) behind everything, whether we know it or not.

I agree that we only do things because Allah (swt) or his Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) have commanded it. But that doesn't help people to SEE and APPRECIATE the hikmah behind it.

If you tell someone not to drink because it is haram, then that may well be enough.

But if you also point to the huge amount of harm and destruction that alcohol can do to someone too, then I think it makes a stronger case. It appeals to the 'dunya-side' of the brain as well as the 'akhira-side' of it. (n.b. NOT ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC TERMS).

It is along the same lines of the command to tie your camel up and ALSO pray that it doesn't wonder off during the night.

Ya'qub wrote:
If you tell someone not to drink because it is haram, then that may well be enough.

But if you also point to the huge amount of harm and destruction that alcohol can do to someone too, then I think it makes a stronger case. It appeals to the 'dunya-side' of the brain as well as the 'akhira-side' of it. (n.b. NOT ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC TERMS).

Exactly my point, explaining what happens if you do the sinful act.

What is the point in telling someone not to do something because Islam forbids it when they think it's a burden to restrict you for no good reason? Shouldn't we tell them, or at least tell them to look for, the benefits?
Islam is the solution not a backwards restraint.

Yeah, why not? Have I told you lot that I used to think Islam was such a repressive religion? And about how the internal revelation is coming. Wink

Your father I am!

Guys, apparently it says in the Quran that we have to think and ponder. Can you tell me where?

It tells you in the new issue of the Revival!

Why don't you subscribe?!

Ya'qub wrote:
It tells you in the new issue of the Revival!

Why don't you subscribe?!

In that article that you wrote about Islam on trial? Where you one of the judges was Lord Justice Cur Ij?

Just made a [url=/blogs/you/pondering-on-pondering]blog post[/url] on this topic. it was gonna be a reply here, but I think that is a better place for it.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Thanks, Ed. I've heard of this Imam Ghazali guy, but wasn't the book called the Death of the Philosophers?

heh, I am not the editor. (He is called TheRevivalEditor on here...)

He may have written more than one book... or it may be a renaming of the same one. No idea.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
heh, I am not the editor. (He is called TheRevivalEditor on here...)

He may have written more than one book... or it may be a renaming of the same one. No idea.

OK can I call you Admin then?
It feels a bit strange calling you YOU, do you see where I'm coming from?

Courage wrote:
do [b]you [/b]see where I'm coming from?

you just called him 'you' again!

Courage wrote:
OK can I call you Admin then?

Go ahead. People won't laugh. Much.

*Look courage is talking to noone!*

But then again Most on here do... the malady may be contagious.

Ya'qub wrote:
Courage wrote:
do [b]you [/b]see where I'm coming from?

you just called him 'you' again!

Very funny, Yaqub.