Is Islam compatible with the West?

salaam

[b]Is Islam compatible with the West? [/b]
As extremists increasingly claim it is not, and attack Western values not only through rhetoric but acts of violence, many Muslims find themselves being forced to respond by re-examining their values.
Here two Britons, both born into the Muslim faith, explain why they have ended up following different paths as far as their religion is concerned.

Nagina Shah
Nagina Shah, who walked away from her faith and family 14 years ago after a forced marriage, believes that traditional Islam and modern Western life do not mix.

Aftab Malik
Aftab Malik, who has discovered a new-found passion for Islam as an adult, says that traditional Islamic values can themselves help overcome extremism.

wasalaam

First thing you have to ask yourselve what is the West. Too me there is no one thing that describe the West. I remember hearing a analogy a little while ago about the UK. The person stated that the Uk is like a big Jigsaw puzzle and Islam is one of the piece within that puzzle, it different too all the other pieces but it fit into the puzzle and once all the pieces are put together it make a wonderful picture. I completely agree with this. There is no massive differences within the two societies IMO, as long as you now the dangers that lies within some aspects of the West. and are solid within ur deen

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

Whilst Satan is here, Islam will always remain incompatible with any ways of life that are non-Islamic.

Islam has its enemies, its the enemies that cause the incompatibilities.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

Define west.

Islam and going to the pub do not mix.

Islam and drinking do not mix.

Islam and clubbing do not mix.

Islam and zinaa do not mix.

However Islam and respect for others do mix.

Islam and tolerance do mix.

Islam and the right to choose who you marry do mix.

Islam and the rght to live do mix.

It all depends on how you define the west.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Is the west compatible with Islam?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Once again define 'the west'

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Define west.

Islam and going to the pub do not mix.

Islam and drinking do not mix.

Islam and clubbing do not mix.

Islam and zinaa do not mix.

I don't think any religion is necessarily compatible with going for a booze-up, going clubbing, or committing zinaa.

The very question, 'Is Islam compatible with the West?', is a misnomer. The real issue and the real question people mean to ask is 'Are Muslims capable of living in the West (def. Europe, N America, Australia) if they insist on keeping their relatively conservative values, be they cultural or religious?'

Another worry for people living in the geographical West and Australia is that, are Muslims members of their adopted Western countries or are they members of the Ummah? Where do their loyalties lie? To the West or to the Ummah?

the west to me is

language

food

house's

NHS-

eduacation system

welfare state

i think its compatible with the west

"cultural crap" what that poor girl went thru aint compatible with the west

what she went thru is more compatible with tribal parts of pakistan

West in Europe is prolly diff than West in the USA since Europe has a history that goes back far longer.

But as far as i've ever been concerned we are an open book - as long as you believe in constitutional government and liberal representative government you are good to go.

I know muslims that would probably amaze you. I know Syrians who are muslim - have lived in Charleston their whole lives, have Southern accents, race in the Ashley River regatta pray five times a day and do all kinds of volunteer work.

They have no problem fitting in, nor should they.

A religion doesn't change the fact that you are western - you are born muslim and something else, just like you are born western and something else.

Seems to me only a matter of probability you can be western and muslim.

If your religion says you can't do something a lot of other people around you can do - don't do it. Simple as that. You don't have to walk to the bar draped in an american flag with six cheer leaders a football helmet and a copy of the constitution signed by george washington to be western enough.

[color=blue][/color]i think world is round and is there any concept of west or east in OVALS OR SPHERES.lot of laughters[color=blue][/color]

HELP! i've fallen and i can't....................HEY nice carpet!

Quote:
[size=24]Can We Be Too Into It?[/size]
[size=18]By MuslimSister[/size]

We live in a society in which Western values dictate how we should live our lives. These external pressures, coupled with the inclination towards their desires, make it increasingly difficult for people to practice their religion.

To become attached to Allah (swa) one must become detached from the world. That way even though our work may be on Earth, our hearts should always remain with our Lord.

Then why do we refer to those individuals who may spend all their time in the mosque and are not interested in the “normal” activities that “normal people” find pleasure in as “extremists”, “religious fanatics” or “too much into it”?

[size=18]Too Much?[/size]

Were the blessed companions of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) “too much into it”, when they never let His Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) blessed hair touch the ground and used to collect His Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) sweat which smelt like musk for blessing?

Was Hadrat Awais Karni (ra) an “extremist” when he broke his teeth just because he heard that one tooth of his beloved Leader had broke in the battle of Uhud?

Were our pious predecessors “religious fanatics” because they used to travel to different countries on horseback just to listen a hadith?

Was Hadrat Fatima (raa) “too much into it” when she used to spend her winter nights prostrating on her musalla (prayer mat), and when called for the Fajr prayer she would lovingly complain that the nights were too short?

Are we not supposed to enter Islam fully, and not partially? Are we not supposed to submit our heart, body, mind, soul and spirit to the wishes of our Creator?

Unfortunately, being exposed for so long to elements which are harmful both to the soul as well as the intellect has created a “numbing down” effect amongst the Muslims.

We no longer aspire to follow in the footsteps of our pious predecessors but instead self-justify our actions by comparing them to members of our society and even go as far as criticising and condemning those who are trying their utmost best to do what they are supposed to be doing.

[size=18]The Islamic Way[/size]

In today’s era truth is seen as falsehood and right is seen as wrong. We are heavily influenced by the currents norms and values of the 21st Century that the pure, unadulterated teachings of Islam seem somewhat alien to us; this highlights how far we have deviated from the right path.

The Islamic way is in sharp contrast to the current trends of our society. For instance, society teaches us to be wary and suspicious of others whereas Islam says that evil thinking springs from malignity of intent and wickedness of the character.

It is even said that if a deeds of a man are evil, then his thoughts regarding others are evil as a result he will believe whatever suspicion haunts him.

Society dictates that we should show arrogance and pride to others, otherwise people will walk all over us. Islam on the other hand places great emphasis on good manners; to be gentle and kind, tolerant and patient. We are even told that ‘whoever loses gentleness loses all good’.

Society says that one should not spend in the way of Allah (swa) more then what is obligatory (i.e Zakah) for it leads to financial hardships. Islam says if you spend in the way of Allah (swa) you will receive even more.

We are told that one should not unnecessarily inconvenience themselves by doing more then what is necessary.

Allah (swa) says that “My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (voluntary prayers or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) until I love him, (so much so that) I become his hearing with which he hears, and his sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he strikes, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me something, I will surely give him, and if he seeks My Protection (refuge), I will surely protect him".

We should have an “equal balance” regarding working for Islam and worldly affairs. A wise man once said “This life and the hereafter balance in the heart as if on scales. When one predominates, the other becomes lighter and less significant”.

[size=18]The Answer[/size]

We are caught between the tempting influences of the West and the hidebound superstitions of some of our own Muslim communities.

Fortunately Islam has the answer to these external and internal conflicts that trouble mankind today. The answer lies in patience, persistence and perseverance.

Allah (swa) has told us that He is with those who have patience; this is a special “companionship” which means that He is protecting and supporting them. Furthermore, the rewards of enduring slander and difficulties for the sake of Allah (swa) are infinite and beyond the comprehension of the human mind.

A righteous man once said “This life and the hereafter are like a man with two wives. If he pleases one he incurs the wrath of the other. In reference to this point Sheikh Tahir ul Qadri has said that just like two enemies that cannot live together, the love of Allah (swa) and the love of this life cannot co-exist in one heart.

In conclusion, we should sort our priorities out and should realise that this world is worthless and perishable. We should aspire to follow in the footsteps of our pious predecessors and should place no limits on how much we do or how much others do for the sake of Allah (swa); true love for Allah (swa) has no limits and is infinite.

May Allah (swa) make it easy for us to transform ourselves into individuals whom He will be pleased with, and may He remove all obstacles and restrictions that we may encounter along the way; internal and external. Ameen.

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Well i think "western culture" is not compatible with any major world religion (i.e. Islam, Christianity and Judaism) because they all require their respective followers to be free from drinking, clubbing and zinna. And the 3 major sins I mentioned are what "western Culture" prides itself upon.

The West is Atheist, the "west" believes in no god, the "western people" are born and die zombies. It has become this way over time.

Another thing to mention i think is the type of governing body you live under. Under capitalists, you are living in a whorehouse, and your soul is killed off slowly bit by bit by looking around you, turning on your tv, even if you try to stay away from sin, zinna of the eyes will happen, zinna of the ears will happen, albeit by accident and unintentionally.

On the other hand, under communists, or pure communists rather, who were extremely atheist, you would be living in a jailhouse, where you cannot practise religion or any tradition, and you become a different type of zombie.

Still out of the two, being in a capitalist country allows us to practise our religion openly, and inshallah those who strive to become good muslims shall reach their goals like many before them have, inshallah.

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Hay DUH what has the article gotta do with this topic :roll: :roll:

Well....IF you read your sisters article...you'll notice that its to do with balancing the love for deen and the need for dunya, and much more.

its kinda relevant and didnt wanna start a thread, plus i like it....so i thawt i'd share it Smile

Btw Fruuity Sherlock, when did you become a communist expert?!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

i am not a communism expert but i have basic understanding of the marxist theory.

may the fruit be with you watson.

but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.

aaah the socology days....the law has made me 4get everthin else

Safe Sherlock, Bright and early 2mrw mornin....remember, ring me at half 8 in case im knocked out!!

May the Fruit be with you young one Dirol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

[b]Is Islam compatible with the West? [/b]
As extremists increasingly claim it is not...

There is no problem between Western Society and Islam.

Both advocate values of democracy, freedom, human rights.

Problem only exists between extremist muslims and their own narrow interpretations of Islam.

If they saw Islam as majority of muslims do, then they would not be so hot headed.

Therefore, re-education of fanatics is the answer.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

There is no problem between Western Society and Islam.

Both advocate values of democracy,[b]freedom[/b], human rights.

Omrow

the freedom promoted by islam n freedom promoted by the west differ immensely. the west promotes freedom for people to dance on the street naked, n wen sum1 says summin blasphemous then it is called freedom of speech.

Salam

"razor" wrote:
the west promotes freedom for people to dance on the street naked.

I have never seen a naked dancing lady in the street.

Can I ask which street do you live in ?

Not that I want to come around and verify the truth of your claim.

What a street !!

I do believe that you may have seen such a sight with your own eyes.

So...anyway... tell us... how was it like... for you ?

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

"razor" wrote:
the west promotes freedom for people to dance on the street naked.

I have never seen a naked dancing lady in the street.

Can I ask which street do you live in ?

Not that I want to come around and verify the truth of your claim.

What a street !!

I do believe that you may have seen such a sight with your own eyes.

So...anyway... tell us... how was it like... for you ?

Omrow

'

salam. 1st lemme say in my 1st reply to wat u sed i didn't mean to offend u, sorry if it came across that way.

when i said the west promotes naked dancin women i was refferin to a black woman a few monthes ago, in manchester. she would run across a busy road in manchester city centre everyday,she did this for a week, it was her way of doin an anti war demonstration.

besides this u have only to look around at the billboards, see for yourself the western "freedom of speech"

mr scoop.......ur wrong

it was a white woman who ran on Fib street in Manchester every friday, just to cheer people up after the July bombings

but hes right

oh...and dont take omrow's comments serious lad Smile

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

every friday? what time is that ?

lol, shes stopped now

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salam

Islam's future is very bright in Europe and America.

Just think about the news you hear everyday.

Our governments are already about to accept Islam as part of the western way of life.

No one can deny it any more that Islam is here to stay.

Moreoever, that Islam as a faith is spreading very fast among the white christian and secular peoples in the west. This is now an acknowledged fact. This is the reason the institutions particularly in Europe are being geared to make room for the religion.

I know that extremists are a bit of a problem. We as muslims also have problems with these nutters. They are killing us too. Hopefully they can be tackled in a civilised manner.

We should be in the forefront in the war on terrorism. Because Islam demands this.

God orders us to confront evil where ever we see it. We are a just people. Islam requires us to stand up for our own rights, as well as the rights of all innocent people everywhere. No one denies that terrorists are not evil, people who plants bombs on trains and fly planes into buildings.

Its time to make a difference. Lets show what we really stand for.

Omrow

that was a good speech i must say!! there was passion there was logic there was truth now u must go forth on to the streets you which ones and make them listen

well you can start by spreading the word.

"Omrow" wrote:
well you can start by spreading the word.

if u wanna make a diff

start with knocking some sense into extremists

u can start from here-

islam always begins at home-in this case it in the forum's homepage

I was thinking about this a little while ago, my conclusion was that the social structure is compatible with islam, as you don't have to drink, or go out or do anything esle that is link too british culture, you can live as islamic lifestyle here. But politically and Economically, IMO it ain't. Due to the fact that political here is all about spin and just for the elite IMO, falsehood is seen as truth and truth as falsehood and it too corrupt for anything to change. Plus economically the Country is built on Riba, too be successful career wise here, it near impossible not to use Riba once again going against Islam. But you can work around these last two aspect, so it is ok to live here and she have element of islam.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//