The 100th Name of God

In Islam Allah (swt) has been given many attributes or names revealed in the Qu'ran as well as through the Sunnah of the prophet (pbuh). Of which there are 99 which are considered the elite names.

The prophet (pbuh) once famously stated in a Hadith:

"Verily, there are ninety-nine names of God, one hundred minus one. He who enumerates them would get into Paradise." (Sahih Muslim, Vol. 4, no. 1410)

However it has been rumoured that there exists a 100th name which is hidden. In Sufism, the idea of the 100th name is most prominent. It has become the elusive object of mystic devotion, the symbol of God's transcendence. Some believe it is a name that will only be revealed by Imam Mahdi.

I know a number of people since they were very young have learnt the 99 names of Allah (swt) off by heart.

Has anyone here made a similar attempt:
What is the importance of reciting the 99 names?
Is it just another form of worship?
What do we think about the existence of a 100th name?

i've started learning the 99 names of Allah (swt), inshaa'Allah i hope to complete them by the end of ramadan. each name of Allah (swt) holds great blessings and is a wasifa in itself. reciting and learning the names of Allah (swt) is dhikr which is very rewardable so i personally think everyone should learn the names and then once they've learnt Allah (swt) names they should move onto learning the names of the holy prophet (saw).

regarding the 100th name of Allah (swt) i aint too sure, not heard of that before. if you could post a reliable link regarding the subject i would be grateful or if you could recommend a book. jaazakAllahu khairan.

There is a nasheed that recites the 99 names of Allah(swt) good way to learn it.
Apprently those who can recite the 99 names of Allah (swt) will automatically enter into heaven.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

There are way more than 100.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

If you would like to learn more about the 99 Names of Allah for example what the meaning of ar-Ra’oof The All-Kind “And verily Allaah is Ra’oof, Ever-Merciful.” Sooratun-Noor [24:20] Check out this is very useful and helpful website.

Interesting 99 names for God

The above site gives you 99 names.

Just a thought, if we are all created by God, or as some believe. "Made in Gods Image". Then Mankind just might be the 100th name for God?

If we hurt, or kill a person. it could be thought of as hurting or killing God's Creation?

62  Al-Mumit (المميت)  The Taker of Life

Only God as the right to take a life, has God is the one who creates life.

12  Al-Khaliq (الخالق)  The Creator

Just a thought.

Shouldn't killing apply to all sentient beings as well? 

• Hi « As I see it » I think so too, the 100th name of Allah is « Humanity »

The early paternal abandonment of Abraham toward Ishmael could possibly be that event that one can see as continuing to foster a contemporary sense of abandonment among Muslims, a desertion giving rise to a plethora of identity crises in Islam today. If this is true then Islam might better be seen as a religious system built upon an ‘orphan spirit’ where the Church would do well to adjust its engagement to a less criticall approach opting rather for a more charismatic stratagem with demonstrations of empathetic love and care. Have we ever seen our Muslim friends nor Islam in such a way? So it might do us well to contemplate the possibility that the hundredth name for God that many Muslims are searching for might in fact be FATHER, a name they do not have in their name registry for Allah (Note: Islam teaches there are ninety-nine names for God with some believing the hundredth name as secret to be revealed in some mysterious way, eg. through a camel. Some missionaries have suggested the hundredth name be Isa (the Arabic word for Jesus), but as Muslims already recognize and appreciate Jesus as prophet (lit. messenger) we suggest it may be more spiritually empowering to suggest the hundredth name for God be FATHER, a name that might well prepare the way for Muslims to recognize Jesus as more than prophet, rather Son, Savior, Messiah

We do think Isa (Jesus) phuh is the Messiah. 

Two thoughts: 1) From my previous comment, they already know Isa (Jesus) as a prophet. And accept many of His miraculous attributes. But they limit the Messiah to the Hebrew concept of "anointed one". HOWEVER,

2) Though they pray this prayer passionately, especially during Ramadan: "Say, 'O My servants who have transgressed against themselves (by sinning), do not dispair of the mercy fo Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.'" Yet, they continue to fear, because they do not have the concept of the Fatherhood of God. They need a Loving Father into whose arms they can snuggle and feel secure in His love. (Again, refer to my previous post for a possible reason why they cannot accept the concept of a loving Father!) Further, I believe I have good reason to identify with the "orphan" complex: My earthly father died when I was eight (He was mostly an "absent" father during those eight years. Also, being the fourth son when he really wanted a daughter, I was shunned as a "tag-along" to my brothers even long after he died. And because when I was 2 /12, he got his daughter...then another two years and he got twin daughters...I think you are getting the picure of a boy who needed a FATHER!) When I became an adult and began reading the Holy Scriptures of Judiasm, I came to Psalm 139 and "found" my Father. Among many other things, it says that while my earthly father was patting his wife's tummy, saying "It better be a girl! It better be a girl!" (Remember, I was hearing that! Though not understanding the words, I understod the threat!), my FATHER was there overseeing the formation of my being! Thus, I can cry out, "OH, my FATHER, my loving, compassionate FATHER. Hold me in Your arms of LOVE!"

Yes, it is common knowledge that there are 99 names of Allah. But according to some scholarly research (see my previous posts siting references), there is some belief that there is yet a "secret" 100th name. My suggestion to you (again, after you read my two previous comments) is that you try to call out to what I believe might be his 100th name, FATHER! See if He answers. Our asks why are you calling on Me? See if there might be a response. Be open to hearing from Him. I have found great comfort, strength and motivation in having a relationship with a personal FATHER!

You have a father anyway. A personal father even!

Wouldnt it be better to avoid such loaded terms when referring to God?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.