'Islamic duty' to help UK police

Muslims have been told it is their 'Islamic duty' to co-operate with the police to ensure Britain's safety.

The statement was agreed at a "deeply significant" meeting in London held by the Muslim Council of Britain.

More than 200 people, including imams, community activists and police representatives, gathered to lay out ways to combat the threat of terrorism.

A spokesman said there was a real willingness to accept the "problem within the Muslim community".

Press were excluded from the "lively" two and a half hour meeting, but Inayat Bunglawala, from the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), spoke to the BBC News Website afterwards.

'Lethal' interpretation

He said: "One of the key factors that we are agreed on is that there's an Islamic duty to co-operate with the police to ensure the safety of British citizens, Muslims and non-Muslims."

The problem, he said, lay with a small number of extremists who shared a "violent world view" and who are "killing civilians for what they believe is an interpretation of Islam".

Mr Bunglawala added that leading imams at the meeting called it a "lethal misinterpretation".

In addition to the cultural impact of the alleged bomb plots in Glasgow and London, the meeting also discussed the effects of foreign policy on fundamentalism.

Mr Bunglawala said: "Some naturally raised the issue of foreign policy and we agreed our actions overseas have inadvertently helped the spread of extremist ideas."

MCB secretary general Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari told the meeting at the Islamic Cultural Centre next to Regent's Park mosque: "These people who attempt to kill or maim in this way are enemies of us all."

The meeting was also attended by Metropolitan Police Commander Simon Foy. He said the police had a "responsibility" to let the Muslim community do its own work in tackling extremism rather than adopting a heavy-handed approach.

A declaration on tackling Islamic extremism and terrorism in Britain is expected to follow the meeting.

Outside the centre, some radical youths had gathered and they accused the organisers of being "lackeys" and "bootlickers" of the "Blair/Brown regime".

Mohammed Shafiq from the Ramadan Foundation, who took part in the conference, told BBC News it was important to reach such disaffected young Muslims.

"We've got to keep on engaging with these people, trying to convince them that their path is the wrong path," he said.

"Our path is the mainstream of Islam. Islam totally condemns violence - it's forbidden in Islam and that's unanimous."

[b]have your say[/b]

As much as i hate terrorists i hate coppers more.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
As much as i hate terrorists i hate coppers more.

Your're kiddin right?

nope
im not saying i approve of what terrorits do, i dont. They take innocent lives in the name of Islam. But i hate coppers more and i would never co operate with one out of my own free will.

If it would save lives, sure.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Naz, why do you hate the police? What would you do if you got mugged? What would you do if you saw someone in the street with a suicide belt?

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

"Naz" wrote:
nope
im not saying i approve of what terrorits do, i dont. They take innocent lives in the name of Islam. But i hate coppers more and i would never co operate with one out of my own free will.

Naz, how come u hate coppers so much? I mean I don't particularly love them either but have u had bad experiences with them or something? Racist incidents even?

Religion is the heart in a heartless world.

coppers think they are above the law and it doesn’t apply to them . Its one rule for them and another one for us. How many of you actually like coppers? (not many im assuming) If i ever got mugged i would never turn to a copper for help. As for suicide bombers id probably wouldn’t even notice one if i was walking down the street (unless they had it tattooed on their forehead) as I am always in a world of my own. I don’t know what I would do in a situation like that and hope never to be in one. Say I did see a suicide bomber about to blow himself up and I called the cops. As a result of their “busy” schedule when they actually find the time to come down (which could be hours or days) the suicide bomber would have already blown himself up. So technically you’re in a no win situation.

Some of my experience of the police:

Sometimes police have been slow or reluctant to respond, which is frustrating. One time in Neasden I passed a guy who yelled at me for happening to look at him, saying something to the effect that he would knife me. At that time I was working with the estate wardens, quite often liaising or referring incidents to the police, and knew how difficult it would be for the police to prioritise that, but resolved that if I saw a patrol car I would wave it over and tell them where he was. I did see a van in a petrol station further up the road, but they were taking instructions from a chopper on chasing down an arms incident. Another time in Salford my bicycle got nicked, and two policemen spent a silly amount of time taking down the details before informing me it was unlikely they would find it (although in those cases there's always a chance of connecting pieces of a jigsaw).

At other times I have reported incidents and found the police to be efficacious and courteous, and have been contacted one time about a stolen chequebook I never knew was missing, which was good. I've seen them do good work such as when a lady got her handbag snatched in Leeds, and I got the handbag back but the guy got away. Moments later I flagged down a police van and they caught him. On that and another occasion they were happy to take a statement on the spot and save me going to the station.

In my uni days I got arrested with a bunch of my housemates and spent several hours in a cell. There were a lot of us in that house and the police came to investigate what turned out to be a malicious accusation by someone's ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend, and while there they had found heroin remnants in the basement. They thought I was dodgy and gave me a pretty bad cell. When it came to the interview I told them frankly but politely that it wasn't worth my revealing who the culprits were (who were not around at the time), admitted that I myself had been smoking cannabis that evening, and said I felt it was a waste of time and unfair on all those housemates who as far as I could tell were respectable grafters. They cautioned me over the cannabis but agreed about the rest and let it lie. In a case like that they either have a worthy prosecution or they don't. They did take my prints, which leaves me open to suspicion, but also spurred me to be a helpful citizen in future. It was a benign adventure.

I have had the odd ticket, including two that went to court (both times I defended myself and one case got thrown out, the other I got points and a fine, partly for not supplying documents in time) but at other times still such as when forgetting my seatbelt or driving with a broken brake light I have found them to rise above pettiness and respect a good attitude, and I kept my promises to remedy the situation ASAP.

Police on the beat have always been happy to give me directions when I was lost.

Recently my brother-in-law received antisemitic abuse leaving synagogue with his children, and remembering an advisory to keep the police informed, phoned the local station a few days later. Police tracked down the guy, who made all manner of excuses but ultimately the police of their own accord decided to issue him with a fine. I was impressed to hear that.

Also quite recently my brother's car was stolen by a fearless criminal who had gained access and threatened the babysitter while we were out together. As he got home the thief ran out with a set of keys and promptly took the car! Police recovered it from a nearby lock-up a few days later.

My cousin and his wife are long-serving police officers. She has been moving up the ranks quite fast, passing all her tests on a regular basis. They have incredible integrity and a commitment to public service, they do share our complaints about the difficulty of responding to everything and the amount of paperwork, but they work unbelievably long hours with real concern to do a good job. I'm sure bent coppers do exist but these two are incorruptible, kind and always happy to help.

On balance, even with experience of the police service's shortfalls, I have strong respect for the work they do and think extremely highly of the police officers I've met.

I cannot think of a reason to hate the police.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

"Mr Honey's Day Out" wrote:
I cannot think of a reason to hate the police.

I second that.

They do one of the hardest jobs on the planet and people are not grateful.

The police rock!

parking on double yellows/pavement to go inside a takeway to order a chicken balti and naan is not hard work. Even i could do that Biggrin

You don't expect them to work their whole shift without eating do you...

Being in the emergency services means you can park on a double yellow line...or even in the middle of the road (having a reasonable explanation ofcourse).

i dont expect them to starve but how about paying to park their car/van like the rest of us do. If we decided we were hungrey and parked on a double yellow to get food we would get a £30 (if paid within the month otherwise £60) fine slapped.

Part of the taxpayers money goes towards the police, I don't think people would want their money to be wasted on buying parking tickets.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with it.

These brave people put their lives at risk to help us, protect us, and the least we can do is to let them park their cars on a double yellow line while they enjoy their lunch Blum 3

Btw if you didn't know I would like to become a police officer, inshaAllah.

sorry i didnt realise me and my big gob again im gonna shut up now.

No, feel free to express your opinions. I don't mind, honestly.

I used to hate the police after I got arrested, but as days go by I seem to like them more, more so that I would like to become one of them Biggrin

You got arrested?! tutut

What for?

I think I mentioned it before.

Driving offence, that was more than two years ago before I passed my driving test.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
No, feel free to express your opinions. I don't mind, honestly.

I used to hate the police after I got arrested, but as days go by I seem to like them more, more so that I would like to become one of them Biggrin

glad to hear your not offended. Ok in that case il contiue where i left off lol.
Erm yeh coppers ive never been arrested for anything but i still hate them. They way they speak to you and treat you like your a second class citizen. They think because your dressed in a certain way and you wear a hijab you cant speak english.

You got arrested, double tut tut lol.

I don't feel that I can whole-heartedly trust the police.

With all these new anti-terror laws they can arrest just about anybody and detain them without trial for a long period of time.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim