Classic childrens fairytales and stories

I'm working on a little house project at the moment and need some help.

Childrens fairy tales and stories - see if you can add to the list:

stories by Hans Christian Anderson, Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault and Aesop
Beauty and the Beast
1001 Arabian Knights
the Oz books (Wizard of Oz et al)
the Narnia series

and...

Cinderela
snow white and the seven dwarfs!! (classic)
Peter Pan!!
Little red riding hood!!
and many more.....

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

Im going to go ahead and assume this is your way of getting ideas for books you need to get your lil ones. Heres few ideas you may find useful but as you may tell Disney has pretty much got a monopoly on some of these.

Alice in Wonderland,
Hansel and Gretel,
Rumpelstiltskin,
Little Red Riding Hood,
Beauty and the Beast,
Sleeping Beauty,
Pinocchio,
Rapunzel,
Mr Toad's Wild Ride,
Arabian Nights....
Aladdin
Watership Down,
The Ugly Duckling (for very young kids)
The Hungry Little Caterpillar,
Moby Dick,
Treasure Ireland,
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,
The Tale of Peter Rabbit,
Paddington Bear
Around the World in Eighty Days
Skating Shoes,
Ballet Shoes (or any other "Shoe" books by Noel Streatfeild).
King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table,
James and the Giant Peach (Pretty much anything by Roald Dahl).

im sure theres more but those are the ones that come to mind

Back in BLACK

Good old [url= - List of fairy tales[/url]
Biggrin

[size=9]
(useless fact: Blum 3 my all-time favourite fairy tales: Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, Rumpelstiltskin and the princess and the frog)[/size]

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Heidi and Little Women - very cute [b]innocent[/b] childrens books, the way they should be! Smile

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
Heidi and Little Women - very cute [b]innocent[/b] childrens books, [b]the way they should be![/b] Smile

I agree! It seems like more and more "modern fairy tales" have sacrificed innocence for sarcasm, and there are adult oriented jokes creeping in. - The Shrek affect.

If you look at the wikipedia entry for Rapunzel Disney was planning on making a movie with sarcastic teenagers thrown back in time into the characters - like a Shrek oriented for children. The producers thought it was a stupid idea so now they are just making it the traditional version which is a-okay with me.

Excellent suggestions by the way - good books for girls.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
Heidi and Little Women - very cute [b]innocent[/b] childrens books, [b]the way they should be![/b] Smile

I agree! It seems like more and more "modern fairy tales" have sacrificed innocence for sarcasm, and there are adult oriented jokes creeping in. - The Shrek affect.

If you look at the wikipedia entry for Rapunzel Disney was planning on making a movie with sarcastic teenagers thrown back in time into the characters - like a Shrek oriented for children.

i've never liked disney, all the major hits contain a love story, it's almost as bad as bollywood! :? why do they need that kind of rubbish in children's movies/books. it just fills their heads with useless fluff and an unreal idea of life. :roll:

re: the shrek effect, what's worse is the recent pink panther movie that came out. i was in america at the time and had taken my little cousins to watch it at their parents' request. the innuendo was disgraceful, i wanted to cover their ears at some parts. i wouldnt feel happy taking kids to a supposed 'childrens' movie nowadays before i've checked it out properly.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
Heidi and Little Women - very cute [b]innocent[/b] childrens books, the way they should be! Smile

I grew up reading those books too when i was little.. Biggrin i also loved books like Little House on the Prairie, Little Town on the Prairie, Little House in the Big Woods (cant remember all the rest of the series!) (Laura Ingalls Wilder books), The Secret Garden, The Railway Children, Peter Rabbit (and others) by Beatrix Potter, Pollyanna, What Katy Did (and others), Sunnybrook Farm, A Little Princess, etc etc Biggrin

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Amal" wrote:
Good old [url= - List of fairy tales[/url]
Biggrin

[size=9]
(useless fact: Blum 3 my all-time favourite fairy tales: Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, Rumpelstiltskin and the princess and the frog)[/size]

Thats called cheating. :evil:

Thats called using my initiative. Dirol

[size=9]maybe your just jealous because my list is better than yours :--pp :--D[/size]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:

If you look at the wikipedia entry for Rapunzel Disney was planning on making a movie with sarcastic teenagers thrown back in time into the characters - like a Shrek oriented for children.

i've never liked disney, all the major hits contain a love story, it's almost as bad as bollywood! :? why do they need that kind of rubbish in children's movies/books. it just fills their heads with useless fluff and an unreal idea of life. :roll:

re: the shrek effect, what's worse is the recent pink panther movie that came out. i was in america at the time and had taken my little cousins to watch it at their parents' request. the innuendo was disgraceful, i wanted to cover their ears at some parts. i wouldnt feel happy taking kids to a supposed 'childrens' movie nowadays before i've checked it out properly.

Have any of you guys read in the papers that a select number of primary schools are going to introduce fairy tales in which there are same sex relationships in order to make children more aware and open minded to such relationships.

[b]One of the fairy stories features a prince who turns down three princesses before falling in love with a man.

Others feature two male penguins raising a chick and a girl with two space-travelling mothers.

'And they lived happily ever after ...'

King & King

A queen wants her son to get married and become king. She arranges for a string of princesses to meet her son but he does not fall in love with any of them.

In the end it is one of the princesses' brothers who catches his eye. The princes get married and become two kings.

Spacegirl Pukes

A little girl who is about to set off on a space mission falls ill. Her two parents, mummy Loula and mummy Neenee take her home to look after her but then they fall ill too. When she recovers, the spacegirl puts back on her suit and goes on an adventure to space.

And Tango Makes Three

Two male penguins, Roy and Silo, live in a New York zoo but feel left out when all their friends pair up. They spend all their time together until the zoo-keeper realises they must be in love. The zoo-keeper gives the couple an egg and Tango is born, the first penguin in the zoo with two daddies.

[/b]

Just pray the scheme does not go nationwide and is rejected my the majority.

What on earth is happening to the world?

Those would not be the kind of fairy tales I'm interested in.

Well technically its not "your" list its Wikipedia's list. Secondly I dont trust wikipedia anymore; they're not a primary source and certainly not after what happened a few weeks ago (some guy went around editting over 100 articles).

And Angel... Girls dont rule... Remember its a mans world... we just let you live in it. lol, im gonna get flamed for that one!

And Dave theres no subsitutes for classics.... and Shahid... thats sick.

Back in BLACK

"Amal" wrote:
The Railway Children
ah there's another children's classic i loved. Biggrin someone mentioned The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - another childhood favourite of mine!

I grew up reading Enid Blyton books when I was a child.

I was obsessed with her Magic Faraway Tree collection.

Young children have a fantastic imagination that needs to be catered too.

It's kinda sad, but one of my favourite pastime in school is marking children's creative stories...their imagination fascinates me.

ALL children work even better when provided with a stimulus.

Enid Blyton is a fantastic author...and SO clean and innocent.

"Seraphim" wrote:

And Angel... Girls dont rule... Remember its a mans world... we just let you live in it. lol

I'll see how your view changes once you're married. Mans world, PAH, wat a joke :roll:

I loved little red riding hood, cinderalla, snow white and the 7 dwarves.

I also got to see jack and beanstalk in pantomime style, loved it!

mans world we just let u live in it Lol Lol

mans world would cease to exist if great women didn't give birth to you men Dirol

"yashmaki" wrote:

mans world would cease to exist if great women didn't give birth to you men Dirol

You ever notice all of the self-sacrificing women in history, Joan of Arc, Mother Theresa…can’t think of any others, they all die alone. Men, on the other hand, get so much **** it’s crazy.

Back in BLACK

"yashmaki" wrote:
nah they die in God's presence Wink

Yeah im sure thats equally as fun

Back in BLACK

"yashmaki" wrote:

Yeah, and where did the Y chromosome come from in order for the child to be a male.....the father Dirol

every childrens library MUST have roald dahl books there

ESP the BFG, Matilda, The witches and George Marvellous medicine.