muslim worship

hola

what do muslims do for worship as a group? are there masses?

muchas gracias

Friday prayers (also known as Jumah) is a congregational type of prayer that is held around noon replacing the zhuhr prayer that is normally performed at that time on other days.

Im not sure what you mean by binding but its obligatory on men but only recommended for women. Its usually preceded by a sermon of sorts (known as a khutba) delivered by the Imam the contents of which is at the discretion of the Imam although its usually on the life of the prophet(pbuh) with reference to our daily lives.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim,
I'm sure you are aware of this, but just incase your not, its VERY IMPORTANT!!

It is highly recommended for men to pray EVERY prayer in congregation and in the mosque as often as this is possible. This is very important! The same goes for women who are not married with kids.

You get 7-25 times the reward for prayer if you pray in a group than if you pray alone!!

Allah (swt) has promised to reward you as if you prayed HALF THE NIGHT if you perform isha/night prayer in the mosque, and He will reward you as if you prayed the WHOLE NIGHT if you also pray fajr/morning prayer in the mosque.

The Prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) last words were "the prayer...the prayer...you will always stay on the strait path AS LONG AS YOU PRAY TOGETHER"

So in answer to Snowbunny, Muslims are required to pray as a group AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. although Allah is very merciful and has allowed us to offer our prayer wherever we are and alone if we don't have any Muslim company.

Jumua/Friday midday are the only prayers that it is compulsary to pray in congregation (compulsary for men, but is HIGHLY recommended for women too). It is a sin for men to miss this prayer intentionally.

This helps bind the community together and helps everyone improve the bonds of brother and sisterhood.

In terms of the khutbar/sermon, listening to this is an act of worship and it is forbidden to talk or interrupt the Imam.

Community is VERY important to a Muslim. There are no hermits or monks in Islam and one of the most important Surahs (chapters) of the Qur'an displays why this is:

"By Time,
Indeed all mankind is at a complete loss,
Except those who believe and do righteous deeds AND remind each other to the truth AND remind each other to patience."

I have put the word 'and' in capital letters, because this surah stresses that it is NOT ENOUGH simply to believe (in Islamic monotheism), even if we also perform good deeds. We MUST also try our best to help others improve their faith also and to encourage them stay strong in conviction on the path to God.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
The same goes for women who are not married with kids.

You get 7-25 times the reward for prayer if you pray in a group than if you pray alone!!

actually ya'qub it isn't as strongly emphasised for women to pray in congregation, the choice is left to them. we get the same reward as men praying in congregation if we were to pray at home.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Quote:
actually ya'qub it isn't as strongly emphasised for women to pray in congregation, the choice is left to them. we get the same reward as men praying in congregation if we were to pray at home.

sorry, i always thought that the reason women were encouraged to pray at home was because of family responsibilities, but now i'v found this hadith:

Quote:
Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy))

thanks for highlighting this fo me

asalamualikum

Don't just do something! Stand there.