Gay rights laws challenge fails

HAVE YOUR SAY ON THIS ISSUE:

[b]
Gay rights laws challenge fails[/b]

New rules outlawing businesses from discriminating against homosexuals have been upheld in the House of Lords.

A challenge led by Lord Morrow of the Democratic Unionist Party failed by a majority of three to one.

He had argued that the rules forced people to choose between obedience to God and obedience to the state.

But Northern Ireland Minister Lord Rooker said it would be "quite wrong" to elevate the rights of one group above those of another.

Demonstration

Lord Morrow's call to annul the regulations, which have applied in Northern Ireland since 1 January and are due to be implemented across the UK by April, was defeated by 199 votes to 68.

The Sexual Orientation Regulations have been criticised by some religious groups who say people will not be allowed to act according to faith.

Hundreds of Christians demonstrated outside Parliament, but gay rights groups say no mainstream religious groups supported the protest.

Critics say the new rules mean hotels cannot refuse to provide rooms for gay couples, and religious groups would be obliged to rent out halls for "gay wedding" receptions.

They also argue a Christian, Jewish or Muslim printer could be forced to print a flyer for a gay night club, or a teacher would have to break the law to promote heterosexual marriage over homosexual civil partnership.

One of those taking part in the demonstration outside Parliament, Ralph Brockman, a Baptist from London, told the BBC: "I'm concerned that the Biblical laws should be upheld.

"People may have different orientations but we need to have laws that will fence in our behaviour, as it were."

John Studley, a Christian from London, said: "This government is placing sexual rights over religious rights."

But Neil Partridge, a gay Christian man, said: "Everyone has a right to their faith but is it fair to say to someone 'you can't share a bed in our hotel because you are gay'.

"A hotel is a business, surely. I just think some of the people at this demonstration need to listen to the other side of the argument."

He added: "Recently British Airways was criticised for not allowing staff to wear crucifixes and now some Christians are advocating this policy. I think the recent law is a good thing."

Supporters of the regulations say they simply extend to gay people the same rights that had been granted to people of different faiths in 1998.

In a statement, the Board of Deputies of British Jews distanced itself from the protest, saying the regulations would "provide a further platform to combat discrimination in this country".

A High Court judicial review against the regulations in Northern Ireland, brought by the Christian Institute, will be heard in March.

they were talking about this on the asian network, and strangely enough it seemed to be pick on "muslims" again. I duno why only a muslim rep was called in. There was a sikh man there but he didn't really represent an orthodox sikh perspective, he was bigging up a contemporary view of sikhism suggesting homosexuality is accepted in sikhism, i know for a fact it is not, not in traditional sikhism anyways. The community would boot you out.

It seemed like they were demonising islam again. Sadly the ppl they invite in tend to lack the verbal skills to get their points across.

one sister called in saying it depends what kind of service u run. she said as a muslim i wouldn't run for example a hotel because if a homosexual couple, or non married coupled came in i would have to let them rent a room knowing sexual acts which go against my faith were taking place effectively under my roof, so that i could pocket some money. Anita rani said so what about alcohol u wouldn't have that either. the sister said no coz my faith forbids it. Anita said so ud have an empty hotel. To me that just sounded like she was mocking everything the sister said. Why ask for a muslim view if you're gona trash it completely. if u want a secular view dont ask practising muslims!

Question: But what if you own a corner shop as many muslims do? Does it matter if you serve a homosexual, you're only providing a service. This service is also used by ppl who could be racists, prostitutes, murderers, thieves, druggies. You just wouldn't know. So is it really fair to refuse service to a homosexual if you're giving it to these other ppl?

Question: are homosexual muslims (oxymoron) refused entry into mosques? This is what the radio programme suggested, but they had no muslim scholars on the show. I didn't think they'd be refused if they were going to pray?

Interestingly it's not muslims who are at the forefront of this campaign although the asian network made it appear so, for dramatic effect i duno, the Christian groups are. Not that it matters i can see why they're concerned.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
Supporters of the regulations say they simply extend to gay people the same rights that had been granted to people of different faiths in 1998.

who the hell made homosexuality a faith? :roll:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Quote:
[b]None are more equal than others[/b]

With British Muslims listed as being below average on almost all UK socio-economic indicators, including bad housing, unemployment, health and education, they should recognise more than most the need to end discrimination against minority groups. And yes, that includes the gay community.

Inayat Bunglawala and Abdurahman Jafar

[url=

:?

...has Parliament been drinking out of the Thames again?

"Ø" wrote:
:?

...has Parliament been drinking out of the Thames again?

in some respects you're lucky in the US. i think one of the main reasons most muslims voted for bush was because he was such a conservative christian - they agreed on stuff like abortion, homosexuality etc. unfortunately they didn't factor in the part about him dreaming that God told him to go to war, or whatever it was. :roll:

but then again i guess muslims would much rather put up with this than the patriot act.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Democrats are forcing through legislation about cloning which has many many ethical defficiencies.

It is a lose lose situation out there too.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"ßeast" wrote:
Quote:
[b]None are more equal than others[/b]

With British Muslims listed as being below average on almost all UK socio-economic indicators, including bad housing, unemployment, health and education, they should recognise more than most the need to end discrimination against minority groups. And yes, that includes the gay community.

Inayat Bunglawala and Abdurahman Jafar

[url=

did he just put us in the same outcast community of gays?

:roll:

They are saying that Muslims are discriminated against, misrepresented and deprived. So we shouldn't discriminate against, misrepresent and add to the deprivation of others.

People are like sheeps they all follow each others tails so when the y see Islam getting bashed on a daily basis most of them dont have a brain cell between them to understand the concept of being brainwashed.

Fact that if all the hate and propaganda stoppped against muslims and islam today,then tommorrow people would find someone else to vent their fury and miserable existence at.

From struggle comes reward