best place to bring up a child?

When I was in pakistan last year, I met a family that left the uk, as they didn't like the western culture, and were afraid that it would have a negative affect on their children in the future.

Is it a bad thing to bring up children in the uk? And is it better to take them to pakistan or india?

I have heard on countless occassions that the children from "back home" are more islamic.........than the children from uk. And know more about the religion.

But I guess they haven't read the comments on this forum!

[color=indigo][b]You cant say Pakistan or India are the best places to bring up children. There just as bad as the uk! Almost in every country theres corruption. Personally i think its ok to bring up a child in any country aslong as they have a good solid practicing family and a strong Muslim community around them. However places like Syria is ideal for anyone who is dying (like me) to learn Arabic and study proper classical islamic knowledge as there are many many great Scholars in the Arab world.[/b][/color]

I considered living over there too. But after a couple of months, realised we were better off here!

The people I met were just total wannabes! Parents actually encouraged kids to be into western things!! from the way they dressed to the music they listened to!

I sent my son to a school there.........but I didn't like the fact he was taken there in the morning by a driver. What are parents for? They had a servant for each class. And the children didn't value them ,,,,,,,coz of the way they were treated. Kids were talking down to them like noones business. Is this what islam teaches us? We are supposed to be equal.

live and let live!!!!!!!

After reading that report about British kids being the worst worldwide I'd say it's not a bad idea considering raising them elsewhere.

<--------- Look at the avatar! Biggrin

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

Assalamu 'alaykum,

"Noor...*" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]You cant say Pakistan or India are the best places to bring up children. There just as bad as the uk! Almost in every country theres corruption. Personally i think its ok to bring up a child in any country aslong as they have a good solid practicing family and a strong Muslim community around them. However places like Syria is ideal for anyone who is dying (like me) to learn Arabic and study proper classical islamic knowledge as there are many many great Scholars in the Arab world.[/b][/color]

I agree.. It depends on the family structure and children's upbringing most of all.. You could possibly find the most "westernised" of people living in Pakistan, and the most "islamic" of people in the west.. if bringing up your children in the west was detrimental to your faith, then there wouldnt be any ulema born and brought up here, but there are (and in fact some dar-al-ulooms as well) - as is the same in Pakistan/any other muslim country..

I also noticed that if you live in a country where your deen isnt practiced all around you, then you tend to hold on to it more fervently than if you lived in a country where you are surrounded by Muslims (and therefore may more likely take it for granted)

If you want your children to become strong Muslims when they grow up, then you MUST give them a strong foundation of islam from a very young age - it doesnt matter if you live in Las Vegas or Timbuktu.. when you are taught something as a child, it tends to stick with you better than having learnt it later on in life..

There is a quote from Saadi al-shiraaz that i like (i collect quotes - and i dont think its sad Blum 3 ) he said:
A tree, freshly rooted, may be pulled up by one man on his own.
Give it time, and it will not be moved, even with a crane.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

"Amal" wrote:

I also noticed that if you live in a country where your deen isnt practiced all around you, then you tend to hold on to it more fervently than if you lived in a country where you are surrounded by Muslims (and therefore may more likely take it for granted)

If you want your children to become strong Muslims when they grow up, then you MUST give them a strong foundation of islam from a very young age - it doesnt matter if you live in Las Vegas or Timbuktu.. when you are taught something as a child, it tends to stick with you better than having learnt it later on in life..

I totally agree with the above.

Personally I think that by living in an non-Islamic country and not succumbing to the temptation that’s in your face 24/7, results in Muslims who are of higher Iman and Taqwa as opposed to those or have little or no opportunities to be tempted.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "He who mixes with people and endures their mischeif is better rewarded than he who does not mix with people and does not endure their mischeif." Tirmidhi

p.s thats one FANTASTIC saying in your sign Sis, I'll defo be adding that to my "quotes book" too Biggrin

Salam

Best place to bring up a child is in a compassionate home of his parents.

Location, or size, of that loving home does not matter.

Omrow

countries such as pakistan as its more less an Islamic base country caters more for Islam as it provides Islamic education in schools mosques everywhere azan call out openly all theses which are beautiful however most of theses can also be found here as people back home are dying to be westernize children their are more wild then the ones here

at the end of teh day as noori has sed it about teh background and the enviroment teh child being brought up into if they got a good Islamic society around them , then its all merry u don’t need to travel anywhere

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

No offence but bkyards like b'desh,pkstan, or india are sometimes more worse then uk..

in 2003, we wen bk home and majority of the gals
werent even dressed properly.. hardly any had hijabz on and all
most hanged with guys late nyt..

I think this country is a gud place to bring up kids long as
the parents are firm in their teaching and dont
pressure the child too much cuz if u try too hard then sumfins bound to go wrong as the child will start to do things secretly ini..

neways ma opinion, no offence to ne1..

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

[b][color=violet]i actualyy agree with you in a wayyyy Wink [/color][/b]

...live everyday as your last day...

"RuBz" wrote:
No offence but bkyards like b'desh,pkstan, or india are sometimes more worse then uk..

pressure the child too much cuz if u try too hard then sumfins bound to go wrong as the child will start to do things secretly ini..

100% agree...............coz I've seen it all in pakistan.........girls wearing sleevless........in front of men, but then covering up to go to the bazaar!?

People treating their kaam wala with little respect..........but treating their kids like royalty!!! My kids were told off for eating with the servants!! :shock: I still can't get over that one!!

They have learnt more about islam in uk ((with interest)) than they did in pakistan! In pakistan all he wanted was to watch the latest movie!!
But here??? he's always asking me about islam!! And today he loved putting up the different dua posters up around the house!!

INSHALLAH I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION IN BRING THEM UP HERE IN THE UK!

live and let live!!!!!!!

"peace4all" wrote:
When I was in pakistan last year, I met a family that left the uk, as they didn't like the western culture, and were afraid that it would have a negative affect on their children in the future.

Is it a bad thing to bring up children in the uk? And is it better to take them to pakistan or india?

I have heard on countless occassions that the children from "back home" are more islamic.........than the children from uk. And know more about the religion.

lol funny you mention this. just today i found out a mate of mine in america and her friends had gone to do their medical degrees in pakistan coz its so expensive in the US. and they all want to come back coz the way of life there is islamically worse than the muslim communities they are from in the US. subhanAllah. :? i fear for muslims in pakistan and some other so-called muslim countries.

Amal: most of us seem to be in agreement with you. Smile

100: :roll: u make me sick.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"peace4all" wrote:

lol funny you mention this. just today i found out a mate of mine in america and her friends had gone to do their medical degrees in pakistan coz its so expensive in the US. and they all want to come back coz the way of life there is islamically worse than the muslim communities they are from in the US. subhanAllah. :? i fear for muslims in pakistan and some other so-called muslim countries.

Amal: most of us seem to be in agreement with you. Smile

100: :roll: u make me sick.

tru.......The students there stay in hostels...and the things they get up to are unbelievable.

we may be going to pakistan in april inshallah. And when there I really want to take my kids to this visit the children in the earthquake region. And the local childrens hospital. b4 anyone says "Why you taking them to a hospital?" don't worry! I'M ALSO GONNA DO DAY TRIPS WITH THEM!!! Biggrin

live and let live!!!!!!!

whose saadi al-shiraaz??

live and let live!!!!!!!

the best place to bring up a child is in the himalayas! i really want to meet a snow lepoard.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Is this advice stupid or wise:

Quote:

[b]Advice from the child care experts[/b]

Telegraph 14/11/2006

[b]Dr Tanya Byron, clinical consultant psychologist and presenter of The House of Tiny Tearaways[/b]

"Children need to hear the word no. I am amazed at how many parents intellectualise with little children whose frontal lobe functioning doesn't have the capacity to process choices or understand moral decision making. If Peter bites his brother, pick him up, put him in another room and when you take him out, tell him that if he bites, the same thing will happen again. And then forget about it and get on with the day, and when he is lovely give him a hug because actions speak louder than words. If your child asks you for a television in his room, say no because you will lose your child."

[b]Jo Frost, Channel 4's "Supernanny"[/b]

"The naughty step, which people know me for, is a place of reflection where the child realises they've done something wrong. It also helps the parent calm down and remain in control. A clip round the ear solves nothing."

[b]Annette Mountford, the chief executive of Family Links, a parenting organisation[/b]

"Using the word naughty is the problem. It's fine to be firm and consistent but you call that 'a naughty step' and the child actually calls himself naughty. Parents should say, 'What you have done is very naughty,' but not that 'you are naughty'. It's bad for a child's self-confidence and self-esteem."

[b]Hugh McKinney of the National Family Campaign [/b]

"To allow children to indulge in naughty behaviour and not control it causes confusion, not only to the children but also to other family members. Commonsense surely dictates that this politically correct claptrap doesn't work and it's about time that state-funded organisations like Family Links stop telling us what to do with our lives."

[b]Dr Christopher Green, consultant paediatrician and author of Toddler Taming[/b]

He lists seven causes for toddlers' demanding behaviour: attention-seeking; jealousy and competition; frustration; fear of separation; reaction to illness, tiredness or emotional upset; unreal parental expectations; and parental dramas. He describes toddlers as having " all the activity of an international airport, but the control tower doesn't work". It is not until toddlers are around three years old that their "control tower" (the brain's frontal lobes) is fully developed.

[b]Dr Dorothy Einon, author of The Golden Rules of Parenting[/b]

She says a "ceremonial smack" such as a tap on the hand could be appropriate if a child runs into a busy street. "You should get down to the child's level and say 'No' very firmly and just tap their hand, although not so much that it hurts."

[b]Dr Miriam Stoppard, writer and presenter [/b]

She says parents who smack should "never have had children in the first place". The key, she says, to good behaviour is knowing how to "achieve co-operation" and that involves a lot of talking.

it's stupid because it's too long to read...

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"peace4all" wrote:
"RuBz" wrote:

100% agree...............coz I've seen it all in pakistan.........girls wearing sleevless........in front of men, but then covering up to go to the bazaar!?

[b]People treating their kaam wala with little respect..........but treating their kids like royalty!!! My kids were told off for eating with the servants!! :shock: I still can't get over that one!![/b]
They have learnt more about islam in uk ((with interest)) than they did in pakistan! In pakistan all he wanted was to watch the latest movie!!
But here??? he's always asking me about islam!! And today he loved putting up the different dua posters up around the house!!

INSHALLAH I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION IN BRING THEM UP HERE IN THE UK!

ya thats so true..

Whenever we used to salaam the lady working in our house,
our neighbourhood people would be so disgusted with us..

And if we ate with her or included her in on the things we did,
the neighbourhood would refuse to join us :x

so lame man, I mean we are all humans and to act like that in front
of kids is jus a bad example, full stop.

Mash'Allah on ur success of bringing up ur kid ere sis.. May Allah
help u to carry on doing a good job

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

The environment u choose to raise ur children in definitly has an impact on their upbringing, but I think its more important how u bring up ur children rather than where. If u give them a good home environment, and instill proper values in them theyre shouldnt be an issue about where u live. A good analogy to think of, is raising kids is like growing plants, u give the water and sun and them watch them grow up.