Curriculum Vitae

Salaam

Its been 2 years since really I updated my CV.

Do you think its a good idea to list ALL my previous employment history? I was thinking that for space reasons just put on the three most relevant...?

My old CV was IMO really good, but it never got a response. So I am thinking of changing it totally. Change it. remove the 'fact fact fact' approach.

Mr Admin my teacher said writing a CV is NOT an opportunity to tell your life story.

You must only write whats relevent to the job you are applying for.

The avarage CV gets looked at for 20 seconds.

You need yours to stand about from the rest.

And I’m not sure what you mean when you say you wanna remove the factfactfact approach. Do you mean its gonna be the lielielie apporoach?

Lol

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

didnt we already have a few threads on CV's?

you need to get rid of the boring facts as you say, and add more content about YOU. whats so good about you, and yeah ur gona have to make a lot of rubbish up! throw in some good words, talk about your personality, your acheivments, your adaptablilty blah blah blah

spice it up basically

what i hate about cv's is, when ur writing it...you have to big yourself up and boast :?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Mr Admin my teacher said writing a CV is NOT an opportunity to tell your life story.

And I’m not sure what you mean when you say you wanna remove the factfactfact approach. Do you mean its gonna be the lielielie apporoach?

Lol

judda: so good you had to say it twice?

I think I deserve my own thread! (couldn't be bothered to look...)

I have simplified it out now. But I have still not really bigged myself up. Not my way. Lets see what happens.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Lol

and now the third time with the same post?

what if I wanna tell my life story?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Lol

don't know much about cv's but we did something in school. i think you should write stuff about you that makes you special/unique.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"zara" wrote:
don't know much about cv's but we did something in school. i think you should write stuff about you that makes you special/unique.

can't be bothered with that. Too much effort.

"zara" wrote:
i think you should write stuff about you that makes you [b]special/unique.[/b]

ROFL Lol

Admin can I write reference? Biggrin (I promise to be nice and I wont tell them about all the time you have been nasty to me and taking my PM prilige off me Cray 2 )

"Admin" wrote:
"zara" wrote:

can't be bothered with that. Too much effort.

probably take you 2 seconds bro

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

what does ROFL stand for, Judda?

Rolling On Floor Laughing.

Its used for things that are too funny to use lol (which may mean laughing out lound, but its more of a heh these days...)

thanks

"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

Its been 2 years since really I updated my CV.

Do you think its a good idea to list ALL my previous employment history? I was thinking that for space reasons just put on the three most relevant...?

My old CV was IMO really good, but it never got a response. So I am thinking of changing it totally. Change it. remove the 'fact fact fact' approach.

My CV has every single thing done since I was 16...it's two pages long and I have a whole years worth of stuff still to add...

Many things present in my CV arent relevent to my chosen career (I've even added my radio and Revival work) however, I was told that employees want diverse, broad and open minded employers...

My CV has a lot of info but it isnt waffly...I just have a sentence or two on all that I have done.

I'm looking to change my CV though...I don't like the layout, but cant seem to improve it.

what age do you have to be to get a cv?

zara As soon as you leave school

You need a CV as soon as you look for a job really.

The main bit of my new CV:

Quote:
[size=18]Employment History[/size]
[b]Sales[/b]
In my current employment I have gained 2 years experience in an outbound cold calling environment. Continuous engagement with staff as well as the public has enabled me to develop my communication and persuasive skills. In addition I have taken on various responsibilities and I am trusted to help with managing the team.

[b]Sales & Customer Service[/b]
Working as a senior customer service adviser, my role was to deal with inbound customer queries efficiently and politely, resolving any problems first time.

[b]Security Officer/ Steward[/b]
As a paying customer facing role, my job was to ensure public safety, maintain order and be a part of thew front line to deal with any situation which may arise without causing undue disturbance.

[size=18]Voluntary Work & Other skills[/size]

[b]Technical / Administrator[/b]
In My spare time I volunteer at The Revival Magazine. Apart from writing articles, my role mainly involves ensuring the smooth running of the whole operation. I am in charge of the online presence. I have designed and administrate the highly successful website. I also make sure the communications infrastructure is properly maintained, which involved setting up email addresses for the team, keeping records, maintaining Computers and overcoming other day to day hurdles.

[b]Computing[/b]
I have good working knowledge of Microsoft Office along with its competitor products such as WordPerfect Office and OpenOffice.org. I am competent at using and diagnosing problems on the Windows platform, and also have experience of other Operating Systems, mainly Fedora Core. I am a quick study, so I can learn and become competent with new software and hardware very quickly.

[b]Languages[/b]
Apart from English, I can speak Urdu and Punjabi. I also have a basic understanding of Arabic and have recently developed some interest in learning to speak Mandarin.

That is the new 'nonfacty' approach I am gonna try. No real facts, not all my jobs (only listed three). But it does give a wide range of skills. The bit I wrote about The Revival I think I should improve... but not sure how to without making it sound worse than it does.

thanks judda

I have no work experience. How do I write a CV for that?

Admin is that your layout...?

What is the "Standard layout"...my one is so rubbish.

Put down a skills section.

Under it have sub sections such as leadership, organisation, communication etc, and give a short sentence.

Quote:
Leadership:
I ran the whole university I was in. and the country that was in. And the world that was in.

Compassion:
I never executed a single one of my lackeys

communication:
I found threatening violence got me great results.

Team building:
There is no I in team. So I let others get on with it while I chilled.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Admin is that your layout...?

What is the "Standard layout"...my one is so rubbish.

well above that I have my personal details followed by a quick summary of edcation, and below it references. (my last cv said referress are available on request or something...)

I copied a few things from a brochure I had lying around for about 3 years... (IchemE survival guide for job hunters... thought its about time I looked at it!)

Quote:

CURRICULUM VITAE

Name: MuslimSister
Nationality: British
Address:
Date of Birth:
Email:
Tel (Home):
Tel (Mobile):

Education:

2006-Present UNI
Currently enrolled in PGCE course

2002-2006 UNI

BA Education and Community Studies
Graduated with a 2:1

A-Levels
2000-2002

GCSEs
1995-2000

Work Experience:

September 2006 to present.

I have been doing TA agency work twice a week with Select Education. I voluntary lead two class’s on Islamic Studies on a weekly basis. I am a Sub Editor of a National Magazine called “The Revival”.

SUMMER SCHOOL

I spent five weeks working as a teacher in summer school. I taught children of various ages, Islamic Manners, Islamic History and Islamic Beliefs. Working as a teacher helped me to further develop my organizational skills, patience, and perseverance and enabled me to perfect my time management.

Infants School
I spent few weeks working as a classroom assistant, working in reception. This gave me an invaluable insight into teaching, and helped me to further develop my communication skills.

SUMMER SCHOOL
I spent 4 weeks voluntary working as a teacher in summer school. I taught young children Islamic studies. This gave me an insight into teaching and enabled me to gain invaluable classroom experience.

Barnado’s Children Home

I spent a few weeks working with children with behavioral problems and autism. This helped me to develop my skills of patience and perseverance, and helped me to develop my communication skills.

INFANTS SCHOOL

I spent few weeks working as a classroom assistant for year 2. This gave me classroom experience and gave me an insight into teaching.

Other Skills and Interests

Enjoy writing articles and translating Islamic Urdu lectures into English. I manage two websites and speak about Islam on the radio on a regular basis. I deliver speeches in large programmes on a regular basis.

CRB Check

Thats my one...obviously, more personal details are added, such as the address of the places, my grades/schools etc

Do you think I'm taking up too much room by repeating my Summer School experience of 03, 04, and now 06?

I don't like the way it looks like a shopping list...

This is the template I copied:

[img]

With your CV I would more prominence to the work experience. Move it higher if possible.

also class's should be classes. Instead of Islamic studies have religious studies.

ANd instead of 'a subeditor' have just 'subeditor' the letter 'a' makes you sound insignificant. ALso what does a subdeditor do? give it a bit of meat. Mention writing articles, organisational skills etc with it.

No idea what that CRB check thing is, so no comment.

Thanks I’ll play around with it in a bit. The English is terrible, I’ve changed it from the 16year old version so many times, yet still my standard of writing has remained the same…

How can I make it less repetitive? I've done the same thing so many times...

Lol @ CRB…you know, Criminal Record Bureau, you should have one too...

Never had a CRB check done. Do you have to have it on your CV?

I thought I would apply to some Chemical engineering ones today. SOme were asking for security clearance level! :shock:

To make it less repetitive, maybe you could groupthem all under some sort of heading. Maybe 'teaching experience' with a brief description, then a list of places?

"Admin" wrote:
Never had a CRB check done. Do you have to have it on your CV?

I thought we did?

In most sectors CRB check is needed...esp when working with sick, needy, elderly, children etc...in general just other people.

Anyways thanks Admin, you've been a great help.

Gotta say there seem to be far more CXHemical engineering related jobs about now then there were three years ago when I was looking!

Applied to a lot of them. Gotta love Reed's online application system! its almost like spamming. Not gonna get far (as I can't remember squat) but lets see how many actually respond.

Does Reed actually get back to you? The good jobs always have a high level of applicants...

Reed has never got back to me.

I think ageny's or centres that interview you and have thousands of contacts are much better at finding you a job then online methods....

It might be worth actually visiting your local Reed.

p.s you should apply to become a EDEXEL exam marker, they need people, you mark the subject that you have a degree in, you can do it part time and even from home....and its very good money.

Pages