Character

Character is how one acts when they are angry, hurting, oppressed or pain.

Difficult/testing and trying times determine our character…and the character of others.

Nice question.

"Odysseus" wrote:
What is Character?

1. all the qualities which combine to form the personality of a perso or place
2. the characters in a film, play, or book are the people in it.
3. a letter, number, or other written symbol

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"zara" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:
What is Character?

spelling mistake, i ment person

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"zara" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:
What is Character?

Thanks... but I meant more in the "principles" kind of manner... (thanks MS)

"Odysseus" wrote:
What is Character?

good character - something many of us here lack, bar MuslimSister and laila

bad character - from time to time, me

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Odysseus" wrote:
"zara" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:
What is Character?

Thanks... but I meant more in the "principles" kind of manner... (thanks MS)

oh, well in that case, good question, what [i]is[/i] character?

Good character is half of faith

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:

what's the other half?

"zara" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

what's the other half?

Cleanliness is also half of faith...so is marriage.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"zara" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

what's the other half?

its the same half tho!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"zara" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

what's the other half?

there are only 2 halves in a whole (i'm good at maths!) so how can you have marriage, cleanliness [i]and[/i] character af half your faith?

"Seraphim" wrote:

Good Seraph quote!

Good character is something that some are born with whilst others have to work hard at maintaining/achieving.

It’s not easy to dispel your bad traits….many Saints in the past spent years and years on just trying to control their anger.

Character is something which defines ones attributes.

"zara" wrote:

there are only 2 halves in a whole (i'm good at maths!) so how can you have marriage, cleanliness [i]and[/i] character af half your faith?

I'm sure the hadith are not to be taken literally. Obviously, it does not mean that if you get married and have a shower your faith will be complete....

Cleaniless, good character etc are just really important aspects in Islam.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"zara" wrote:

I'm sure the hadith are not to be taken literally. Obviously, it does not mean that if you get married and have a shower your faith will be complete....

Cleaniless, good character etc are just really important aspects in Islam.

oh right...

The three best things:
to be humble amidst the vicissitudes of fortune;
to pardon when powerful;
and to be generous with no strings attached.

Whoever does not express his gratitude to people will never be grateful to God.

The best people are those who are most useful to others.

Back in BLACK

Character is something you see in others and not yourself.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Character is something you see in others and not yourself.

yup, as Shaykh Hamza said, you are a relfection of your brother. you cant see yourself, you can see others - physically. and on the inner aspect - again, you cant see yourself - you see yourself thru others.

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

A student of Imam Malik spent 18 years learning about Akhlaq/manners and how to improve his character and two years learning Islamic Jurisprudence.

He later said that if he had any regrets in life it’s the fact that he wasted two years learning Islamic Jurisprudence when he could have been learning how to improve his character…

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf says Adab also signifies Erudition, which means to learn in depth. So, the 19 years Imam Qasim spent learning Adab, were in fact also spent learning knowledge, in depth.

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
Shaykh Hamza Yusuf says Adab also signifies Erudition, which means to learn in depth. So, the 19 years Imam Qasim spent learning Adab, were in fact also spent learning knowledge, in depth.

the darul-uloom/dars-e-nizami course is just the key to learning Islam. subhanAllah our religion is so vast, becoming an 'aalim/a is just the start. after that one can study a specific science in depth. some become faqeeh, others become muhaddith, and some choose to study the science of Adab.

personally i don't see how someone can be a scholar without adab. good character is SO important in Islam. There is an entire branch of Fiqh called Mu'aashara, regarding our dealings with those around us - Muslim and non-Muslim. i've heard a shaykh point out that the longest ayah in the Quran (2:282) is not about salaah, fasting etc. - it's about taking a loan! this is a daleel in itself for the importance of good character and dealings with others.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

character is whats in ones heart

your character is what defines you as a person and what you are most likely to be remembered for

Having a good character is being a good person

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

the darul-uloom/dars-e-nizami course is just the key to learning Islam. subhanAllah our religion is so vast, becoming an 'aalim/a is just the start. after that one can study a specific science in depth. some become faqeeh, others become muhaddith, and some choose to study the science of Adab.

personally i don't see how someone can be a scholar without adab. good character is SO important in Islam. There is an entire branch of Fiqh called Mu'aashara, regarding our dealings with those around us - Muslim and non-Muslim. i've heard a shaykh point out that the longest ayah in the Quran (2:282) is not about salaah, fasting etc. - it's about taking a loan! this is a daleel in itself for the importance of good character and dealings with others.

'

Definitely agree......all scholars should have good character, and must examplify what Adab is

i personally cant respect a 'scholar' if they show a lack of adab, or bad character....

Character of Nabi (Saw) and the likes of Hazrat Ali (RA) is what won the hearts of the non-muslims

Hazrat Ali (RA) was in battle, and was about to slay an enemy of islam with his sword.....and then the enemy spat on Hazrat Ali (RA). Hazrat Ali (RA) suddenly stopped and let the free man go. Tha man was baffled, and questioned why Hazrat Ali (RA) didn't kill him, as it defied logic. Hazrat Ali (RA) explained that, had he killed him at that moment - it would have been for personal reasons, and he only fights the enemies of Allah, not his own.

He became muslim as well as 50 others after this event

Thats pure character

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
Character of Nabi (Saw) and the likes of Hazrat Ali (RA) is what won the hearts of the non-muslims

Hazrat Ali (RA) was in battle, and was about to slay an enemy of islam with his sword.....and then the enemy spat on Hazrat Ali (RA). Hazrat Ali (RA) suddenly stopped and let the free man go. Tha man was baffled, and questioned why Hazrat Ali (RA) didn't kill him, as it defied logic. Hazrat Ali (RA) explained that, had he killed him at that moment - it would have been for personal reasons, and he only fights the enemies of Allah, not his own.

Subhan'Allah,

"*_Noor_*" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Subhan'Allah,

subhan' Allah a beautiful hadith sister

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

"genie" wrote:
"*_Noor_*" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Subhan'Allah,

subhan' Allah a beautiful hadith sister

LOL!

Thats what you get for posting in the Girls Thread!

They think your a girl now!

ha!

please see the Girls Topic thread!

and i dont think its a hadith, that would be a saying of Rasulallah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam

When Allah (swt) wishes well for His servant He grants in an insight into the faults which lie in his soul…

The faults of a man with perfect insight are never hidden from him, and whosoever knows his faults is in a position to treat them…

There are four ways in which we can recognize the faults within us..

1-Attach ourselves to a Sheikh.

2-Seek out a true, perceptive and religious friend and ask them…this was the practice of the wise. Hadrat Umar (ra) used to say “My God grant Mercy to the one who shows me my faults”

3-Listen to the statements of your enemies…a hostile eye brings out many defects. One may gain more from an enemy who reminds him of his faults than a friend who flatters…

4-Mingle with people and ascribe every bad thing you see in others to yourself…A believer is like a mirror to other believers

Wasalaam